Home Depot Lumber

Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
carpenter jr

Trade: how hard can it be?!
Rewards Points: 500

Home Depot Lumber

Is it just me or does anyone else have junk lumber from home depot in there area??

All there 2xs fo nothing but split everytime i try and toe nail, screw or whatever. Its so brittle!

I think HD stocks almost all 2x stock in douglas fur anymore and its not gonna cut it.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 4,486

Re: Home Depot Lumber

Yup, their lumber is chit...

About all we get out here is Doug Fir or Hem Fir...

Old 03-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
carpenter jr

The nickname "captian splits" got thrown out today.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,140

Warped, split, cupped, wayned...

They have that stuff all day long.

You were expecting straight stuff?

I'm a little more jacked about my lumber yard not carrying premium, IFI's anymore.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
carpenter jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenon0774 View Post
Warped, split, cupped, wayned...

They have that stuff all day long.

You were expecting straight stuff?

Your right. Sadly i am just an employee and bossman 1 and 2 dont like it when i complain about lumber quality.

:rollseyes:
Old 03-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,890

I will not buy lumber from them , most is junk and higher priced then my yards, which will deliever for free.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
Framer

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,684

I noticed that lumber stored inside like it is as at hd and lowes is more prone to splitting and warping, lumber stored outside in a covered building is i guess acclimatized better so less of these defects and issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to FramingPro For This Useful Post:
Eaglei (03-30-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
carpenter jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bush View Post
I will not buy lumber from them , most is junk and higher priced then my yards, which will deliever for free.
I have 2 lumber yards in my area. Both hit or miss. I recently framed out a bathroom and closet with 2xs from them. The bark had to be on in a few spots and it looked like something made tunnels through all of it.

Overall trash
Old 03-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Builder/Renovator
Rewards Points: 1,954

I'm starting to wonder if they get more than two 2x4s out of a single tree anymore.... Regardless of where I am buying it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EricBrancard For This Useful Post:
hdavis (03-28-2013), JT Wood (04-13-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,862

HD's the only place I can get doug fir reasonable around here. I can't get lumber I'm happy with without picking through the piles no matter where I go, not even the local yards.

The ONLY place around here I can walk into and get straight and almost clear select structural is HD. I buy that periodically, and put it away to season, and use it whenever I need to reproduce old mill work.

There's a sawmill about half an hour's drive from here, and I'll go there for some stuff - I plan to use it more in the future.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,140

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBrancard View Post
I'm starting to wonder if they get more than two 2x4s out of a single tree anymore.... Regardless of where I am buying it.
Sustainable growth is not the same as the 300+ year growth that was in great supply prior to 1960.

-Scott
hammerone40 (03-30-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FramingPro View Post
I noticed that lumber stored inside like it is as at hd and lowes is more prone to splitting and warping, lumber stored outside in a covered building is i guess acclimatized better so less of these defects and issues.
HD and Lowes lumber will sometimes get soaked before it's moved inside. I haven't seen that with the lumber yards.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
tenon0774 (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenon0774 View Post
Sustainable growth is not the same as the 300+ year growth that was in great supply prior to 1960.

-Scott
I think he was referring to the fact that 2X4s are now cut from trees that were considered too immature in the past. Young trees were always considered to be inferior - nothing but new growth.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:16 AM   #14
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,710

I only buy 2x from my yard unless I am using it for something other then framing. My local yard stock 2x4, Number 1 KD DF for around 3.90 a stud. The growth rings are tighter then I have seen anywhere, the lumber is flat and true as well. The brand is Riverside.

https://www.facebook.com/PunchlistCarpentry?ref=hl
Old 03-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #15
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,824

Each Manufacturer has a separate production line for Box stores. In most cases lumber which does not pass quality control for various reasons, i.e small imperfection, splits, excessive number of knots, etc being packaged and sold to box stores.
So out of 500 studs, 25% will be crap that you cannot use and, out of the other 75% some can be used, but some of it will split, be bowed or twisted, etc. This why you have to go through a whole pile to pick 25 decent studs.

Same goes for everything else, Hardwood flooring, Bruce for instance comes in white boxes, and if you get it from a flooring supply its in the brown boxes and its much better material.

Same goes with Plumbing fixtures, known manufactures, same products, but fixtures in the Box stores have different internal parts and they don't last or perform as good as fixtures you purchase in the plumbing supply store.

Same goes for most products. Just last week, I was at the cleaning supply store with someone, and I picked up a dust pan, I had the same exact dust pan from a Box store, same brand, identical model, but the dust pan from a cleaning supply store was made much better, it was more rigid, thicker plastic VS. a flimsy one from the box store.

Around here, the box store located within 10 min of every job we do, no matter where you at...VS a lumber yard which is 30-45 minutes, so if you run short on something, or you need something quick, or you have guys waiting to finish something up,you be going to a Box store no matter what.

When I order a house of lumber, or for lumber for deck, windows new construction or replacements, trim, etc I always get it from my supplier.
Sir Mixalot (04-04-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24k View Post
In most cases lumber which does not pass quality control for various reasons, i.e small imperfection, splits, excessive number of knots, etc being packaged and sold to box stores.
Hate to break it to you, but lumber from the same mill is the same no matter what place I buy it around here. PT is a great example - all grade stamped #1 looks like #2 to me.

HD, Lowes, any of the two local lumber yards, it's all the same if it's from the same mill. I'll come across individual lifts that are great - must have been sawing some good logs to get it.

Other stuff, they definitely have some different quality products.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #17
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,824

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Hate to break it to you, but lumber from the same mill is the same no matter what place I buy it around here. PT is a great example - all grade stamped #1 looks like #2 to me.

HD, Lowes, any of the two local lumber yards, it's all the same if it's from the same mill. I'll come across individual lifts that are great - must have been sawing some good logs to get it.

Other stuff, they definitely have some different quality products.
Not around here... Lumber in the box store and the lumber yard comes from a totally different place, different stickers and different quality.
Even if it did come from the same mill, don't mean it's the same quality.

If you get a bundle from a lumber yard 500 studs, you might have 3% that cannot be used in walls, maybe for blocking. You look at the bundle at HD, almost every other stud is warped, twisted or cracked, not to mention knot location is right at the tips... this is the type of studs which are being kicked to the side at the mill when they pass quality control line before being stacked. They were showing this on one of the shows, I don't remember which one was it, mega factories or how they do that, etc.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: DECK BUILDER. RESIDENTIAL. COMMERCIAL
Rewards Points: 1,058

Hd lowes chit lumber all around. But in a pinch a mans gotta do whatta mans gotta do.

I get # 1 pt from my suppliers and 90% + is flawless. It's priced with in a about 1 msybe 2% higher but flawless. 2x12 - 2x4 all flawless. What ever is not get sent back and credited on the delivery or used as blocking.they take a lot of pride in grade "a" materials and service accros the board.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Craftsman
Rewards Points: 3,338

At least at the Big Boxes I can spend as long as I like culling the dog****.

If they wanna stock them.....they will have to clean up after me. I try to be as neat as possible, but when you're keeping only 10%, the cull pile can get a little unwieldy.

It works for smaller stuff, for the big jobs I just have to hope the kid loading the truck down at the yard waited till lunch to get his burn on......and remembers the fat tips I gave him.

Overall, the quality seems comparable......but maybe that's because the local yard is buying low to try and stay afloat with Big Blue right across the street....literally.
tenon0774 (03-30-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 170

I'd kill for Doug fir. the spruce around here is a nightmare. it has to be a small job for me to get lumber at home depot, but still it's only a bit crappier than the stuff I get at the big lumber yards around here. when you order lumber here you can bet that 15% of the lumber has so much wane on it a drywaller will have a hard time finding the stud.

it seems if you don't get to home depot first thing the lumber is picked through and scattered everywhere too. it's a real time killer wasting 30 minutes digging through studs at home depot to find 20 straight onesunder 200 hockey sticks scattered all over the top of the pile (and at your feet).