Hanging A 100 Lbs Punching Bag From I-Joists? (pics Inside)

Old 08-29-2007, 10:20 PM   #1

Trade: Pavers / Patios

Hanging A 100 Lbs Punching Bag From I-Joists? (pics Inside)

I'm trying to hang a 100lbs heavy bag in my basement on Ijoists. I bought eyehole bolts and washers/nuts to hang it with. I decided to go between two joists, and after hanging it, I see a pretty large deflection sideways in the laminated portions. This is especially visible on the leftside joist, where it is about one foot from a seam to a new laminate board.

How should I fix this? Should I keep it hanging between the two, or just put all the weight on a single I Joist? If its all on one, there will be significantly less side to side presure, but I'm worried about the rope rubbing up and down against the bottom framing member of the IJoist. Could that cause a problem, or are they attached very sturdy?

The only way I can describe this deflection is to say that its very visible. Each punch on the bag makes the joists squeeze together.

Also on the topic, if I hang all the weight on one joist, being that it is about 3-4 feet from a load bearing wall, is it straining the joist at all?

I think I've done more harm than good by going two joists. Recommendations appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Hanging a 100 lbs punching bag from I-Joists?  (pics inside)-bag2.jpg   Hanging a 100 lbs punching bag from I-Joists?  (pics inside)-bag3.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by Knyte260; 08-29-2007 at 10:23 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-29-2007, 10:24 PM   #2

Re: Hanging A 100 Lbs Punching Bag From I-Joists? (pics Inside)

A few more... I like to be detailed!
Attached Thumbnails
Hanging a 100 lbs punching bag from I-Joists?  (pics inside)-bag4.jpg   Hanging a 100 lbs punching bag from I-Joists?  (pics inside)-bag6.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2007, 10:36 PM   #3
Fentoozler

Trade: Professional Pie and Pastry Taster

Buy a stand....or

Buy a free-standing heavy bag.

The UD is quite possibly man kinds finest accomplishment.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:38 PM   #4

deleted

Last edited by Knyte260; 08-30-2007 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:40 PM   #5

Stands suck because if you do alot of kicking, it can limit your rotation. For several reasons, I want to hang it from the joist or joists somehow. There has to be a good way to do this. I'm only 3 feet from the load bearing wall.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:27 AM   #6

I decided the best thing to do is go across two joists, use a hole saw for each, place a 24 inch pipe through the 16 inch apart joists, cap both sides, and hang a line down from the center point of the pipe.

I will pick up some galvanized pipe for this tomorrow, I would think most sizes should be plenty sturdy. I'd like to go as small as possible, do you think 1" diameter is sufficient, or should I go larger? The smaller hole I cut in the joist the better.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:39 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Deck guy

If the basement ceiling is not to be finished, how about screwing an 8' 2x4 or 2x6 to the bottoms of several joists? Install it on a 45║ angle to your joists and use 2-3 screws per joist. Install your eyebolt for your bag in the center of the 2x4. Seems like a much less expensive option than buying a stand...

I wouldn't recommend drilling holes in your joists, especially not through the top or bottom chord.

Mac
Old 08-30-2007, 08:03 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling

DO USE A HOLE SAW! Look for factory knockouts. I like the pipe thought. I would use a 3/4 or even 1/2" black pipe through factory knockouts and distribute that over three bays using the middle one to hang.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:50 AM   #9
Carpenter

Trade: General Contractor

Why not span the joist cavity with 2x material flat? Having each end of the 2x material sitting on top and fastened to the bottom cord. You could even build it up with (3) 2 x 6's. (1) laying flat and (2) standing on edge nailed into flat 2 x 6. This would give a wider area to attach the bag to. And use nails....screws do not have the tensile strength of nails.

The web of a "wide flange section" joist has a lot of tensile strength. However when you hang the bag with the weight pulling laterally, the joist will inevitably bow.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:06 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Project Manager/Licensed Remodeler

I would've sandwiched the web on each joist with 2x8's vertically then attach the eye bolts to the 2x8's.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustball View Post
I would've sandwiched the web on each joist with 2x8's vertically then attach the eye bolts to the 2x8's.

I'll use a bit of this idea and the piping idea. I'll nail a 2x6 into the inner side of each web only, and then use a hole saw to drill a 1.5" hole through both the 2 by and web. This should support the web some extra just incase hole sawing through isn't good.

I couldn't find ANY factory knockouts?

Why can't I hole saw through the IJoist anyway?
Old 08-30-2007, 01:37 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: GC

I'd take a 2' wide piece of 3/4 " plywood and screw and glue it to the bottom of the joists (so it is across at least 4 joists). Then put an eye bolt through the center of the plywood with a good sized washer on top and the eye pointing straight down. That way you're not putting any holes in the webs or any lateral stress on the webs that might eventually cause cracking.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:01 PM   #13
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker

LOL, knyte, I was going to say the same about stands. You NEED it hanging like that. I have a heavy duty hook just drilled into the underside of my joist. Granted it's not TJI's but I've got a 150 lb'er hanging from old pine joists.

Great for burning off stress. I take a baseball bat and whack her a few times.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 09-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #14
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions

not sure what the function of the 2x4's shown in the picture is, but don't hang the bag from it if they are resting on the bottom rims of the joists. 100lbs isn't a great deal, but with punching or kicking, the force will be much greater-especially if someone hangs from teh bag. Try taking a block of wood and mounting it flush inside the webbing, then screw down plywood onto the wood just placed and the upper and lower rim. Do that on both joists-then place a block between them, which will have the hanger for hte bag mounted. May be over engineered a little, but that won't hurt :-)
Old 09-09-2007, 05:22 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Porch and Deck Builder

Those joists are really designed for vertical load. I think you'll have to block them quite a bit to give any lateral strength.

Am I the only one who's afraid of the copper water line breaking when the bolts pull out from the joist and the bag drops??? I mean Chuck Norris would just say, "I felt like having a shower), but you know, it could happen.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:20 PM   #16
Builder

Trade: Residential Builder / Log Homes

Like some have mentioned ... you HAVE to brace with 2x material from the top chord of the truss to the bottom ... 2x6 or 2x8 vertically. Apply whatever 2x horizontal framing you'd like between the 2x6 and 2x8 necessary to hold the bag during kicks and punches. There are engineering max's when it comes to "holes drilled thru the webbing." Look for knockouts ANYWHERE along your I-Joists ... see any? ... if so, that is the maximum size hole you can drill thru the webbing without additional bracing.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:47 PM   #17
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction

Any chance you can locate a bottom plate from a wall above somewhere in that sub-floor? If so I would think installing an eye-hook through the underside of the sub-floor and into the bottom plate would be extremely strong and should hold your 100 lb bag and the beating you give it.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:58 AM   #18
MFWIC

Trade: house painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
Am I the only one who's afraid of the copper water line breaking when the bolts pull out from the joist and the bag drops??? I mean Chuck Norris would just say, "I felt like having a shower), but you know, it could happen.
Good eye! I'm surprised no one else noticed that water line...

Here's my fix... get some osb scrap from a jobsite, 2pcs 30" - 36" long cut to fit the width of the web between the top and bottom chord. Scab in using 3 or 4 drywall screws on each end and a few in the field. Drill 3/4" hole through the two adjacent joists 2/3 - 3/4 of the way up from bottom and pass a 3/4 black iron pipe through to hang the bag from. a few wraps of duct tape on both sides of both joists will keep the pipe in place if you don't want to thread the ends for caps. I'll guarantee it unless there is tile floor above... then you're gonna lose some grout.
r
Old 10-14-2007, 09:22 PM   #19
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Send a message via ICQ to A W Smith

When you kick that bag it will slide left or right on the pipe you will be using. Get a pair of six inch pipe nipples of larger dia than the pipe you are using and slide it over the pipe to center your bag in the joist bay. Also I would put a pipe flange on one end of your hanging pipe instead of a cap and screw it to one side of the next joist just to keep things from sliding around.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #20

Trade: General Contractor

i like the 2x across the bottom idea the best.