Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

First pergola questions...

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  nailsofarrell 
#1 ·
I am designing a job where a customer would like a pergola. We are building a masonry terrace and they would like a pergola over it. The part of the house we are working off off is a basically half a hexagon (a 3 sided bump out for a breakfast nook i belive.) The way i orginally designed it we ran the perogla right to the house around the 3 sides of the half hex. This means i would need 27' joist on the right and left sides of the perogla. I havn't stopped by the lumber yard yet, but i have a feeling its going to be impossible to get cedar or ipe in legths that long. And if they are availabe it will a ton of money?

I just wanted to run this by you guys before i redesign it not going to the ends of the 3 sides.

Matt

#2 ·
Pergola

That's a mighty long joist for a pergola.....and you are right....it will be a ton of mony to get anything with enough beef to carry that length and still look decent. I suggest you go with shorter joists if you can or plan on using PT lumber and suggesting the homeowner wait out the initial year if they want to treat it with stain, etc. as the mfgs. suggest,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.