Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

finishing house exterior

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  lionhntr 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I am currently starting up on a project that I left off on last fall. I am setting a prefab house on a daylight basement. I used ICF's on the foundation and set the perimeter of the foundation 2 inches outside of the prefab house measurements. I plan to cover the prefabrcated part of the house with 2 inch faom to match the foundation.

My question is, what would be the best way to finish out the windows on the existing structure? Should I fur them out and reset them to the outside of th wall? I plan to use a dryvet finish on the house so I thought that I could possibly leave the windows where they are and just finish over the outside foam into the window.

Hopefully I am not confusing everyone.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

#3 · (Edited)
Dryvit on a wood frame house??? - Double good luck!!!!

Are you sure it is even legal where you are?

Make sure your windows are installed correctly and preferably by a certified installer. That may make it possible to have some kind of insurance coverage or guarantees in the case of moisture and mold problems.

#4 ·
OK, I was hoping it wouldn't sound like that bad of an idea. But I had a feeling it probably wasn't a good one, that's why I thought I would ask for input.

First off, Is dryvet only designed for concrete structures? I am not that familiar with it and definatly not planning the doing instalation. It was however recomended over stucco by a local carpenter who new exactly what I am doing. That being said, I thought that it would work for this application.

As far as restting the windows, it's not my only option. I can rmove the ICFs down to the ground surface and forget about adding the xtra insulation to the exterior of the existing structure. that was my original intention, but I got railed for thinking about removing added insulation and how it would be a waste of money.

Any other opinions would be appreciated, but I would very much appreciate if you would leave a little better exlplanation.

Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.