Dewalt Or Makita

Old 04-18-2007, 01:22 AM   #1

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 10

Dewalt Or Makita

Me and my other contractor buddie have had the age old question which we have argued for years and years especially after a few cold ones, dewalt or makita ? The latest battle has been over drills. Hopefully you guys can help me prove my point.

Last edited by jjbanks; 04-18-2007 at 01:36 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-18-2007, 07:37 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Residential General
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Dewalt Or Makita

Absolutely no contest. Makita is worthless junk.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:13 AM   #3
Sharp Improvements

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 500

The only thing dewalt is making making that is still good is only their drill. They USED to be a top notch company then went to mass production and now they make crap. Not to mention they are now owned by Black and Decker.....eeew. Dewalt is just a popular brand so everyone buys them. Nothing more than a high-end B&D. Dewalt tool internals are made of cheap components, but I think the drill is made a little better. If I were to choose between the two, I would go for Makita all the way. They still make quality.
The Following User Says Thank You to Norrrrrrrrrrrrm For This Useful Post:
chris klee (04-26-2011)
Old 04-18-2007, 08:19 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Residential General

Actually B&D is owned by DeWalt, and they always have been. This is not new.

But I'll sort of agree with you. I only have their drills and a radio. Makita is still junk though.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Florida Certified General Contractor
Rewards Points: 150

I think the makita miter saw is much nicer and smoother than the DeWalt. At least with the 12" and I have used both!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

I switched to Panasonic a few years ago and have no regrets. Still keep the Makita 90* 9V and a 12V to get into tight spots where the big knot of a battery won't fit. I haven't been real impressed with DeWalt's

Tis topic comes up about twice a year. If you would like to see the past discussions, you can search the archives at the bottom of the page.

Albert Einstein
Old 04-18-2007, 09:21 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

I like the feel of the Makita triggers, I think they are 3 degree shifted backwards and take .0002 newtons of less force to pull and give a positive feeling. The Dewalts have the best colors, they are richer and more vibrant and make me happy when I pick them up. However, the M on the Makitas have such a nice design to them, that swish is really nice...

Seriously though, Ford or Chevy? Any professional tool line is going to serve you better than a non professional tool line, the rest is just splitting hairs.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:31 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodel

Mike--

You forgot how cool saying Maaaakeeetaaa is.
Then agian, you can get boots with a bright yellow 'DeWalt" printed on them.

Rich
Old 04-18-2007, 09:46 AM   #9

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

Makita is being nice to you right now. And why shouldn't they? They want your business. In a few years, I bet you that those same DeWalt bashers of today who are buying the Makita stuff now will be like "Makita sucks! They won't warranty my drill and my batteries don't hold a charge!"
Old 04-18-2007, 11:11 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 150

Ridgid......oh wait, you guys are strong enough like me, to run them(heavy).....haha.....

Funny Mike......funny!
Old 04-18-2007, 03:18 PM   #11
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,036

I think it also depends what it is you're buying for a tool. I tried one of the new Makita impact drivers and that damn little thing could crank some lag bolts for sure.

You talk about routers, usually porter cable comes up. you talk about worm drives, skilsaw. every brand seems to have a good tool, but not all their tools are kick butt. A few years back, everyone was buying bosch, so I bought one(cordless drill driver/radio and charger). Now that's a piece o' crap. Just kidding, it's a total piece o' crap.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Kent Whitten For This Useful Post:
denverboz (01-25-2011)
Old 04-18-2007, 06:28 PM   #12
wannabe

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by framerman View Post
I think it also depends what it is you're buying for a tool. I tried one of the new Makita impact drivers and that damn little thing could crank some lag bolts for sure.

You talk about routers, usually porter cable comes up. you talk about worm drives, skilsaw. every brand seems to have a good tool, but not all their tools are kick butt. A few years back, everyone was buying bosch, so I bought one(cordless drill driver/radio and charger). Now that's a piece o' crap. Just kidding, it's a total piece o' crap.
Exactly how I feel.....I have to say, DeWalt has made leaps and bounds with their guns. I really like their framer , 16 ga. finisher, and brad nailer. I just used the new Bosch Circular saw...Nice! rafter hook, 56* table bevel, good blade view, but a bit heavy. That'll be my next saw!
Old 04-18-2007, 07:09 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 3,643

You have to buy what works well in each line... And if your like me and are a tool whore it should not bother you to replace a tool. To be honest with you in 5 years I hope that I am using very few of the same tools. The newest stuff is usually has better technology than the older crap. In 5 years we will have a new kind of battery and even the lith-ion will be outdated.

If you expect a tool to last a lifetime under daily use you will be dissapointed with ANY line of tools.

If you only expect them to last 3-5 years then you will be happy when they last longer.

I budget money to tools and general workshop stuff its built into my day/hourly rate. I dont want to be using the same heavy circ saw (bosch limited edition worm drive) in 5 years. I hope they have something a lot lighter, faster, and better by then.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:32 PM   #14

Trade: drywall, painting, trim, finish and custom carpentry
Rewards Points: 25

just had to replace my old stuff, and i love the makita li-ion. think it is the first professional tool makita has made instead of the high-end homeowner stuff.

it is very comfortable in every hand that has held it, the saw is the only one my tiny little wife can use without two hands, the little lights kick ___ , the sawszall has a rafter hook that actually fits over narrow bci's, the blade change is far and away the easiest release and set i have ever seen, the impact can even drive phillips into a deck (not that i ever would choose to) and it is nice to truly have the 18 volt power with 12 volt weight.

every one on the job site stops using their rigid, porter cable, dewalt, craftsman, and uses my makitas. this says something to me. i am waiting for their jigsaw to come out.

unfortunately my dw708 is going to need to be rebuilt and the only 12 inch slider that comes close to the old boy is the hitachi. there are reasons why i think it is better than the new generation. . .
Old 04-18-2007, 09:52 PM   #15
Palisade Point Const.

Trade: Remodeling/Finish/Framing/Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborneSGT View Post
I think the makita miter saw is much nicer and smoother than the DeWalt. At least with the 12" and I have used both!
I've come to exactly the opposite conclusion- my experence with dewalt is on the older saw, but from my handling of the new one in the stores, it seems like an improvement on the old, and either way, they would have to screw up pretty bad on the new design to drop down into competition with makita on the miter saw department
Old 04-18-2007, 10:05 PM   #16
Palisade Point Const.

Trade: Remodeling/Finish/Framing/Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by framerman View Post

I agree, every tool catigory has it's leader. however, I have usually considered Dewalt to be the best company out there, because in almost every catigory, Dewalt is at least a compeditor. It might not be the best, but it is at least good. then in many catigorys, dewalt is or was (dewalt seriously needs to update some of their products, right now is probably one of their worst times competitivly) clearly the best.

since you said you were talking about drills however, Makita's LXT line is the current champ. Not that Dewalts are bad, they were the champ before Makita came out with the LXT, now the dewalts are a bit dated. If Dewalt were to come out with an 18volt Li-ion line, or even li-ion batterys to run the old drills, there is a good chance that they would be back on top. If you are talking about corded drills, milwaukee is king, with dewalt right up there.

Last edited by TempestV; 04-18-2007 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:26 PM   #17

Trade: carpentry

I used to be piece worker, so i really believe makita is the one!!!
Old 04-19-2007, 01:47 AM   #18

Trade: carpenter

Yeah my hard hats a light blue . So its a no brainer. Especially after all the money i spent to emboss my name on the hat. Will post pics tommorow.....
Old 04-19-2007, 05:24 AM   #19
ContractorTalk Flunkie

Trade: Remodeling and Renovation Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

I own and use a lot of different tools. I do my best to research tools before I purchase them. I only own two Dewalt tools, one being a R/O sander and the other being a cordless finish gun. The finish gun, I love except for the fact that it is pretty heavy and some parts are cheap plastic, just have to wait and see how long it last. While the sander has lasted about 4 years, I also own a Makita, I prefer the Makita.

Below is a list of some of the Makita tools I own and my personal rating from 1 - 10.
  • 10" SCMS, rating "8", would be improved if miter scale was easier to read
  • 7 1/4 circular saw (I own 2), "10", low price and hard worker, I still have one I bought in '95
  • 7 1/4 Hypoid saw, "8", as good as any I've used
  • 18 volt ni-cad drill, "10", 2 1/2 years and still works well, never even had to replace a battery
  • LXT 400 18 volt li-ion kit, "8", Haven't owned it but about 3 months
  • Palm sander, "7", works as well as any others I've used
  • 9.5 volt drill, "10", must be 20 years old and still runs
  • Job radio, "7", love it but it is not a charger
  • Air compressor, "10", quiet and smooth
Overall I believe Makita is superior to dewalt. However Tools of the Trade magazine did a recent reveiw on battery operated drills and the dewalt ni-cad was rated #1.
Guess it is personal preference.
http://remodelingncarolina.com

Last edited by dayspring; 04-19-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:45 AM   #20

Trade: drywall, painting, trim, finish and custom carpentry
Rewards Points: 25

i have a pc ro sander which needs bearings, but it kicked butt. it's about 6 years old, but the new pc and the new bosch both want to wobble. the bosch has to have absolutely the right pressure, not too much, not too little, and has to be supported all the way instead of spanning horses. it also seems to be allergic to actually catching any of the dust it catches. the new pc is easier, but like the bosch, if it is spinning and you set it on the wood you may make a divot.

have the 1/4 sheet bosch and like it better, made a jig to cut paper in no time, and try to step up every grade. even when i start at 6o grit, if i get the rough stuff and marks off, each next step is really fast and there are way less swirl marks than there is from a ro. even when you step each grit with them and finish at 220 or 320. plus you can hit corners better and it hits roundovers better

none of the new scms have the vernier scale like the dw708. that gets you easily to 1/4 degree and from there, less. important with veneered casing. i played with the hitachi in lowes last weekend, and i think i'm going to go that route. the knobs on the rack and pinion make it easy to adjust finely, the detents are solid (the new bosch has soft detents so you have to get there and wiggle to make sure it is seated. don't forget to do that or you can easily be off) the hitachi also has a double glide rail system that lets you set it close to the wall but it feels rock solid. buy i don't know about that bright green. . . read about a guy who couldn't get a new dw718 to cut an accurate 45 no matter what.

probably a miscast or something. everyone probably has some. the dw hold down sucks too. you have to thread it all the way by hand. the bosch has a knurled portion and lets you slide the unit to the board and press a clamp. don't like it, loosen it and put it right; done. you need the clamp with the new dw because increased capacity comes from deeper cut - that means the back of the blade wants to pull the board up harder.

The Following User Says Thank You to keepitstraight For This Useful Post:
maxwage (12-21-2012)