Cutting A Pre-formed Countertop

Old 03-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: remodeling and some new construction
Rewards Points: 936

Cutting A Pre-formed Countertop

I have a customer who want me to install a new countertop..two actually as they meet in a corner. The ones I have installed previously have had the mitre cut and were routed out for the bolts to fasten them together. She is wanting to buy some in stock countertops from Lowes. Is there a good way to do this?
(I don't have a track saw)
I'm willing to give it a shot but if it's not doable I'd rather she order them pre-cut

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Always Learning

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,652

Re: Cutting A Pre-formed Countertop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Peters
I have a customer who want me to install a new countertop..two actually as they meet in a corner. The ones I have installed previously have had the mitre cut and were routed out for the bolts to fasten them together. She is wanting to buy some in stock countertops from Lowes. Is there a good way to do this?
I'm willing to give it a shot but if it's not doable I'd rather she order them pre-cut
I can't say that's gonna work well. The laminate fabricators have large radial/panel saws that can cut the miter in one pass to make it perfect. Order them, you will not be happy with your seem, IMHO.

donerightwyo (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 3,016

Order em precut, don't waste your time trying to cut miters, it won't end well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
donerightwyo (03-12-2013), jackrafter (03-16-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 2,082

I think they are called post-formed countertops.

Lowes stocks mitered tops in different lengths (I think)-HD does stock a couple of different length mitered tops. Trying to cut the lengths down without a tracksaw will leave you with disappointing results
Old 03-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 510
Send a message via AIM to WilsonRMDL

Post-form is correct. I've noticed lowes, HD, and menards usually stock the pre-mitered.

You can also order them from a cabinet supplier, just give them the measurements and make sure u tell them post-form
Old 03-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevy4x4 View Post
I think they are called post-formed countertops.

Lowes stocks mitered tops in different lengths (I think)-HD does stock a couple of different length mitered tops. Trying to cut the lengths down without a tracksaw will leave you with disappointing results
You're right about them stocking different lengths that are mitered ..however the Lowes store here doesn't have the right ones for her..I agree it would be best to order custom made. If I had a track saw...but I don't...
Old 03-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 2,602
Send a message via MSN to KennMacMoragh

Try Home Depot, just tell them which way the miters need to go and what size, they can check which stores have them. One thing I would tell the home owner is if you pull them off the shelf from lowes or Home Depot, the back splashes at the ends don't come out flush on the tops. If you have them built from a frabicator they can make the tops flush and you get a cleaner look. You can take your pick of colors too when you go that route, instead of the three or four color options Home Depot or lowes offers.

Cutting the miters yourself, even with a track saw just seems foolish to me. I don't know if it would work but why would you want to risk destroying your countertops with a bad cut? A track saw wont even cut through the backsplash, the blade is too small, forget about it.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:14 AM   #8
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,730

It's gonna look like s^*t, she won't be happy and you end up buying her a new top. Counter tops are cheap have one made to specs for the same price.
BoGoCo (03-13-2013), fourcornerhome (03-13-2013), TIGHTER MITER (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: interior/exterior
Rewards Points: 284

hey!
just butt them together!
and caulk the ever-lovin-sheet outa it!!
you might have that funny looking backsplash sticking out,.

but your client will learn 2 lessons
1)don`t be stupid
2)and if your gonna be stupid , don`t call me to help you be stupid.

your reputation is always on the line buddy.
you know what to do
Old 03-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 1,846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Peters View Post
Willing to give it a shot, eh? At who's expense of time and materials? Reminds me of a couple real estate agents I know and it's always because they think they'll save money, but they neglect the fact that there's extra work and risk involved (and that somebody has to pay for it even if you end up going with plan B).

Last edited by MarkJames; 03-13-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 170

Do yourself and the client a favor..order a custom top- Mica tops are cheap and it will look right if you find a top shop and have them make it up exactly to size..otherwise I will put money on it looking like CHIT and "Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!"
Old 03-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
Pro

Thanks guys for all the advice. It was pretty much what I expected , and gave me something to tell the customer. She did find some now that have the miter cut...I will have to cut them to length and put the end caps on but I have done that before and am not worried about it .
While we're on the topic if anyone has some tips or tricks that like to share I'd appreciate it ...I've installed a few these over the years but not many and I like to learn new things !
Old 03-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #13
Pro

If you can afford a biscuit joiner, get one, you will get a nicer stronger joint. Use Titebond II for your joint when you clamp them together, plan ahead and order some SeamFil to match your countertop color so you can fill in that splice. Get the largest L brackets that will fit with the proper length torx head screws for the tops and cabinets. Th brackets in the back put them on the counter top first, the brackets in the front put them on the cabinet first. You'll see why when you're crawling under there with your drill trying to screw them on. Figure out if the ends are iron on or not, if they're not you'll need some spray adhesive, make sure you follow the directions and spray each side, let tack up for a minute before sticking them together. Don't use a bearing on your router bit to trim the edges off, it will burn your counter. Get the non bearing and use a wax crayon to protect the plastic laminate.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,905

When you're done, clip the tips off a few screws and glue them point up on the top.... They love that.

'It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.'-Thomas Sowell
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TimelessQuality For This Useful Post:
Brian Peters (03-13-2013), Old Grumpy (03-13-2013), overanalyze (03-13-2013), pinwheel (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #15
Always Learning

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennMacMoragh View Post
If you can afford a biscuit joiner, get one, you will get a nicer stronger joint. Use Titebond II for your joint when you clamp them together, plan ahead and order some SeamFil to match your countertop color so you can fill in that splice. Get the largest L brackets that will fit with the proper length torx head screws for the tops and cabinets. Th brackets in the back put them on the counter top first, the brackets in the front put them on the cabinet first. You'll see why when you're crawling under there with your drill trying to screw them on. Figure out if the ends are iron on or not, if they're not you'll need some spray adhesive, make sure you follow the directions and spray each side, let tack up for a minute before sticking them together. Don't use a bearing on your router bit to trim the edges off, it will burn your counter. Get the non bearing and use a wax crayon to protect the plastic laminate.
Spot on Kenn! I will add to take the time to scribe the top. I hate seeing a new counter that someone skipped that step on. Use tape on the backsplash, scribe the line, and use a belt sander with 80 grit. Make sure the belt is sanding down on the laminate to avoid chips and put a slight back bevel on the scribe rail so it fights tight.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennMacMoragh View Post
Don't use a bearing on your router bit to trim the edges off, it will burn your counter. Get the non bearing and use a wax crayon to protect the plastic laminate.
...or get one of these:

http://www.contractortalk.com/images...attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Cutting a pre-formed countertop-photo-12-.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenon0774
Looks like an overhang bit
Old 03-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 500

The best way to join post form counter tops is to make a jig and router both pieces, only miter a few inches past the build up and but the rest