Ceiling Tile Estimate

Old 10-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Apt, Home, Condo Handyman repairs and small renovations
Rewards Points: 10
Question

Ceiling Tile Estimate

I never quoted a suspended ceiling before. Need some quick info if I can thanks in advance.

The job is 150' sq ft. of ceiling area. My problem is I'm a handyman and I'm use to quoting a hr rate. How do I figure an estimate for labor, the mat'l part of it I can do. How long would or should it take to do,with no obstructions. Is there a basic formula for this kind of simple installation.

Is there a good all around guide book for estimating? My business is growing and I'm getting into more diverse bigger jobs, and hrly does cut it any more with the clients. Small stuff yes bigger that want any estimate.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Mike

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-25-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
Sean

Trade: In Between Titles
Rewards Points: 2,130

Re: Ceiling Tile Estimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethehandyman View Post
I never quoted a suspended ceiling before. Need some quick info if I can thanks in advance.

The job is 150' sq ft. of ceiling area. My problem is I'm a handyman and I'm use to quoting a hr rate. How do I figure an estimate for labor, the mat'l part of it I can do. How long would or should it take to do,with no obstructions. Is there a basic formula for this kind of simple installation.

Is there a good all around guide book for estimating? My business is growing and I'm getting into more diverse bigger jobs, and hrly does cut it any more with the clients. Small stuff yes bigger that want any estimate.

National Estimater, RS Means...
Google is your friend
The Search icon above is another

Glad your growing

Old 10-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
Young Gun

Trade: Smartass
Rewards Points: 250

I just did a basement bid and the ceiling for it was 1100 square foot including labor with material I was at 13k ish. That is almost 12 bucks a foot.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:24 AM   #4
New Guy

Trade: Apt, Home, Condo Handyman repairs and small renovations

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallisseyDesign View Post
I just did a basement bid and the ceiling for it was 1100 square foot including labor with material I was at 13k ish. That is almost 12 bucks a foot.
This does include labor or not. I will use a 2nd man to install the job and it's in the labor aspect I loss it. Thanks again mike
Old 10-26-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
Young Gun

Trade: Smartass
Rewards Points: 250

That was with labor. For the tile I use and the grid- 7/16ths. It works out to bout 6 bucks a foot and then labor is another 6 or so depending if my help or I umm miss calculate.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:48 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 150

if you can find a used copy of the painters handbook, and not worry much about it being for a painting buisness, i think you will find some good info on record keeping and estimating, i am sure that there are better books out there, but this one will give you a good idea of how to figure your over head. so you kow how much you need to make to stay in buiseness, hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
Field Pro

Trade: Historic Restoration
Send a message via AIM to SimpleCarpenter

12 bucks a foot....wow

anyway, the rule of thumb in my part of town...

A basic grid will cost between .65 .85 psf cost w/tile 2x2 1.35-1.50.

As a contractor i hire guys all day lab+mat no more than $3.00 per foot!! I charge 4-5 basic fissured 2x2 15/16 grid wht.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by HallisseyDesign

Quote:
This does include labor or not. I will use a 2nd man to install the job and it's in the labor aspect I loss it. Thanks again mike
Includes labor.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
Jeff

Trade: master turd burglar
Rewards Points: 502

Just go down to your local supplier ask for a slide rule for figuring suspended ceiling. Half your battle is done you have a material list to price out. Take a look at the room your doing is it odd in any way? Only you can say what your price is, take a look at the room and decide how long its gonna take. If you rely on someone to tell you how long it should take your heading down a dangerous path. There will be times you dont figure enough time other times you'll be done with tons of time to spare but those are the things you have to figure out for yourself.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:54 PM   #10

Trade: acoustical dry wall
Rewards Points: 75

12 bucks a sq ft is highway robbery .material cost for grid and a flat humagard tile is about a dollar sq ft. just done 3500 sq ft, meterial was 3300. dollars . i charged 16 hundred dollars for labor i ran the grid in 12 hours and tile in one day thats was around 80 dollars per hour. its just a ceiling houl much cood it pay
Old 06-25-2009, 08:25 AM   #11
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,824

I am probably having a good morning, I am getting to old, or just happy to wake up this morning after playing soccer with my kids So since you thanked us in advance, I will help you. Take the material cost and add your pay for the day, and you be ok. You should be done in a few hours, the rest will cover your over head and you will have a little left to enjoy. Have fun.

Quote: