Caulking Replacement Windows

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Lone Wrencher's Avatar
 
Trade: Plumbing
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10

Caulking Replacement Windows


I installed my first vinyl replacement window recently. Everything went well, but I have one nagging concern. I caulked the inside of the blind stops before I installed the window, and I also caulked on the outside of the window (sides and top only).

Following the advice of a contractor on a jobsite (I'm a plumber), I didn't run a bead of caulk along the bottom of the replacement window (where the plastic sill angle meets the old wooden sill). His concern was that water might get trapped in there and have no where to run out, possibly rotting the wooden sill eventually.

His advice seemed to make sense to me, and I didn't see any weep holes in the bottom of the replacement window. Then again, I'm not a carpenter, so I'd like to hear some other expert opinions.

Thanks,

Ken
Lone Wrencher is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   
 

Old 07-07-2005, 07:52 PM   #2
Member
 
GMW's Avatar
 
Trade: Deck builder & Handyman
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 55
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Caulking Replacement Windows


I just read the directions that come with the brand I usually install. It says to install the sill angle and then caulk it. It also says to caulk the entire perimeter of the window. Water should not be getting under the window itself. There should be weep holes on the sill of the replacement window however.
Just curious didn't yours come with instructions?

GMW is offline  
Old 07-07-2005, 08:00 PM   #3
Member
 
GMW's Avatar
 
Trade: Deck builder & Handyman
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 55
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Caulking Replacement Windows


By the way I do caulk all the way around. I was quoting directions just to make sure I had been doing it right! I just happened to have a window here that had directions stuck to it. Are you able to go back and caulk or is the job done?
GMW is offline  
Old 07-07-2005, 08:08 PM   #4
Registered User
 
HLCbuild's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor 31 years experience & Building Construction degree from VA Tech
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Caulking Replacement Windows


Guys,
Are you installing these windows from the inside?
HLCbuild is offline  
Old 07-08-2005, 05:58 AM   #5
Member
 
GMW's Avatar
 
Trade: Deck builder & Handyman
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 55
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Caulking Replacement Windows


Yes.
GMW is offline  
Old 07-08-2005, 08:24 PM   #6
Registered User
 
HLCbuild's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor 31 years experience & Building Construction degree from VA Tech
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Talking

Re: Caulking Replacement Windows


the reason I ask is that we do it from the outside. We pull the blind stops, stick the window in from the outside (actually we lean thru the opening and pull it back to us) until it is tight against the inside stop moulding. Install your screws thru the vinyl jambs and caulk the inside.No fuss...no muss...on the inside. Then we cap the outside with coil bent to cover the brick mould and extended in past the new vinyl window. Caulk the outside and you are done. No need to install new mouldings or to paint. And it gives you a maintanence-free exterior.
HLCbuild is offline  
Old 07-09-2005, 08:59 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Lone Wrencher's Avatar
 
Trade: Plumbing
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Caulking Replacement Windows


The window did come with directions, which advised caulking around the outside, but it didn't specifically mention whether the bottom should be caulked or not. Fortunately, I am able to go back to the job (my mother's house!) to recaulk.



Quote:
Originally Posted by GMW
By the way I do caulk all the way around. I was quoting directions just to make sure I had been doing it right! I just happened to have a window here that had directions stuck to it. Are you able to go back and caulk or is the job done?
Lone Wrencher is offline  
Old 07-09-2005, 09:00 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Lone Wrencher's Avatar
 
Trade: Plumbing
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Caulking Replacement Windows


That's a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLCbuild
the reason I ask is that we do it from the outside. We pull the blind stops, stick the window in from the outside (actually we lean thru the opening and pull it back to us) until it is tight against the inside stop moulding. Install your screws thru the vinyl jambs and caulk the inside.No fuss...no muss...on the inside. Then we cap the outside with coil bent to cover the brick mould and extended in past the new vinyl window. Caulk the outside and you are done. No need to install new mouldings or to paint. And it gives you a maintanence-free exterior.
Lone Wrencher is offline  
Old 07-09-2005, 12:21 PM   #9
Pro
 
JustaFramer's Avatar
 
Trade: Exiled For Life
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lynnwood,WA
Posts: 3,292
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Caulking Replacement Windows


Due to leaky windows the proper install of a window is to: 1. Use Moist Stop three sides bottom first two sides next over lapping the bottom. 2. Caulk the flange. 3. Install 4. Moist stop the top to over lap the flange.
If these steps are not taken I guarentee a leaky window over time.
JustaFramer is offline  
Old 07-11-2005, 06:05 PM   #10
Registered User
 
HLCbuild's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor 31 years experience & Building Construction degree from VA Tech
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Caulking Replacement Windows


Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaFramer
Due to leaky windows the proper install of a window is to: 1. Use Moist Stop three sides bottom first two sides next over lapping the bottom. 2. Caulk the flange. 3. Install 4. Moist stop the top to over lap the flange.
If these steps are not taken I guarentee a leaky window over time.

Justaframer,
These are vinyl replacement windows we are dealing with, not prime windows. I agree that you need to use Moist Stop or we use a product made by Dupont that does the same thing. It is required by code here. But the replacement windows fit into the existing wood jambs of a double hung window. They go in without flanges.
HLCbuild is offline  
Old 08-23-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
Registered User
 
QHE's Avatar
 
Trade: Exterior Home Improvements
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Caulking Replacement Windows


Quote:
Originally Posted by HLCbuild View Post
the reason I ask is that we do it from the outside. We pull the blind stops, stick the window in from the outside (actually we lean thru the opening and pull it back to us) until it is tight against the inside stop moulding. Install your screws thru the vinyl jambs and caulk the inside.No fuss...no muss...on the inside. Then we cap the outside with coil bent to cover the brick mould and extended in past the new vinyl window. Caulk the outside and you are done. No need to install new mouldings or to paint. And it gives you a maintanence-free exterior.
We install replacements from the inside. I am interested in installing them from the outside and re-trimming. How difficult is it to pull the blind stops? How long does the install typically take? How much longer than pulling the inside stops? Thank you in advance for your reply.
QHE is offline  
Old 08-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #12
Pro
 
paul100's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 113
Rewards Points: 89

Re: Caulking Replacement Windows


Quote:
Originally Posted by HLCbuild View Post
the reason I ask is that we do it from the outside. We pull the blind stops, stick the window in from the outside (actually we lean thru the opening and pull it back to us) until it is tight against the inside stop moulding. Install your screws thru the vinyl jambs and caulk the inside.No fuss...no muss...on the inside. Then we cap the outside with coil bent to cover the brick mould and extended in past the new vinyl window. Caulk the outside and you are done. No need to install new mouldings or to paint. And it gives you a maintanence-free exterior.

How do you pull the blind stops? Do you cut them off? Do you add new stops before you cap the windows. I do most of our work in Phila, PA and I have only seen removable stops on maybe 1 in 500 windows. It is very rare for them to be removable.
paul100 is offline  
Old 08-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #13
Pro
 
IHI's Avatar
 
Trade: General construction and remodeling
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Waterloo, IA.
Posts: 2,399
Rewards Points: 1,018

Re: Caulking Replacement Windows


Quote:
Originally Posted by QHE View Post
We install replacements from the inside. I am interested in installing them from the outside and re-trimming. How difficult is it to pull the blind stops? How long does the install typically take? How much longer than pulling the inside stops? Thank you in advance for your reply.

The only time we install from outside is special circumstances like crazy multi piece interior trim that would risk damage if we tried to pry off, or if there are no inside stops at all but instead have jamb extensions with the casing nailed to them...and other circumstances, but i hate removing outside stops since it adds sooo much more time to the job as well as material, since:
1. you have to chisel the exterior stops off, and depending on existing jambs pray it's self contained and not a part of the jamb itself where you risk pulling out a LARGE section of jamb when it starts cracking and your pulling on the pieces.
2. You now have to rip 1x's to whatever x whatever then go back around and 90% of time use a ladder to put the outside stops back on
3. Depending on what you sell when you chisel outside stops your pretty much forced into capping the opening or painting, both of which suck LOL!!
4. The mess afterwards of cleaning up takes more time and i hate going around with a bucket picking up chips and chunks of wood

you know when you pull the interior stops, it's simply a matter of reinstalling them and your done, time is money, and the longer the job takes, the less money you make; and with the homeowner mentality of we should all be working for free it's even more important than ever to streamline the job.

It's all just a matter of what you actually sell the HO, the existing framework your dealing with, interior trim, etc.......about 15 different things go into figuring the job for simple replacement windows LOL!!
IHI is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to IHI For This Useful Post:
QHE (08-24-2009)
Old 08-24-2009, 05:39 AM   #14
Registered User
 
QHE's Avatar
 
Trade: Exterior Home Improvements
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Caulking Replacement Windows


Quote:
Originally Posted by IHI View Post
The only time we install from outside is special circumstances like crazy multi piece interior trim that would risk damage if we tried to pry off, or if there are no inside stops at all but instead have jamb extensions with the casing nailed to them...and other circumstances, but i hate removing outside stops since it adds sooo much more time to the job as well as material, since:
1. you have to chisel the exterior stops off, and depending on existing jambs pray it's self contained and not a part of the jamb itself where you risk pulling out a LARGE section of jamb when it starts cracking and your pulling on the pieces.
2. You now have to rip 1x's to whatever x whatever then go back around and 90% of time use a ladder to put the outside stops back on
3. Depending on what you sell when you chisel outside stops your pretty much forced into capping the opening or painting, both of which suck LOL!!
4. The mess afterwards of cleaning up takes more time and i hate going around with a bucket picking up chips and chunks of wood

you know when you pull the interior stops, it's simply a matter of reinstalling them and your done, time is money, and the longer the job takes, the less money you make; and with the homeowner mentality of we should all be working for free it's even more important than ever to streamline the job.

It's all just a matter of what you actually sell the HO, the existing framework your dealing with, interior trim, etc.......about 15 different things go into figuring the job for simple replacement windows LOL!!
Thank you. I assumed it would take alot longer but alot of contractors around here are doing them this way. One reason is that they feel it's less invasive to the HO. I may try it once or twicw and see how it goes. Thanks again for your very quick response!
QHE is offline  
Old 09-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
Member
 
Rickle's Avatar
 
Trade: Home improvements and renovations
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 38
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Caulking Replacement Windows


I've seen it done from the outside and believe me it's not something you would want the home owner to see. Sure it can be covered with aluminum but the mangled mess of literally tearing of the stops off doesn't look very professional.

I feel in most cases it just a way of ripping off the costumer by also selling them on capping the brick mould.

Sloppy.
Rickle is offline  
Old 09-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #16
Pro
 
Tom Struble's Avatar
 
Trade: siding
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: west milford n.j.
Posts: 14,623
Rewards Points: 3,302

Re: Caulking Replacement Windows


i do outside installs also it not that bad
sometimes the stops have a quarter sawn grain
those are best cut with a circular saw
__________________
Tom
Tom Struble is offline  
Old 09-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #17
Grand Rapids Remodeling
 
Paulie's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI.
Posts: 3,113
Rewards Points: 2,048

Re: Caulking Replacement Windows


Done a bunch of replacements from the outside. Lead abatement. got to poly the inside and seal. Then start tearing. I'd much rather do it from the inside but furniture can be a issue. I have written in the contract HO to be responsible for removing furniture but what do you say to a 60 year old lady that can't move anything over 20lbs and 16 windows get delivered when you show up?
Paulie is offline  
Old 09-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #18
Pro
 
Patrick's Avatar
 
Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,127
Rewards Points: 2,208

Re: Caulking Replacement Windows


Quote:
Originally Posted by AA Handyman View Post
why wood you want to install from the outside? unless they are spec'd for NEW CONSTRUCTION, they are installed from the inside.unless HO dont want you in theire propriety!thass a nother stories.

however inside windows CAN be installed from the outside: you just have to open the windows to srew into studs.you stiill have to chaulk from the inside though. Good Luck!

I KNOW HOW to do some handy things don't i?
AA Handyman.
This must be my competition on craigslist
__________________
Originally Posted by Celtic
Like I said...I'm sure you are very good at what you do ~ whatever that is and where ever it happens.
Patrick is offline  
Old 09-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #19
Grand Rapids Remodeling
 
Paulie's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI.
Posts: 3,113
Rewards Points: 2,048

Re: Caulking Replacement Windows


[quote=AA Handyman;759823]
however inside windows CAN be installed from the outside:


Wha, wha what the f.

www.phbconstruction.com

Last edited by Paulie; 11-16-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Paulie is offline  
Old 09-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #20
Pro
 
user38755's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 337
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Caulking Replacement Windows


We most always install from the inside. Pull sashes and open sides remove weights, stuff with fiberglas using a piece of UT up to roller holes. Caulk around outside stop with color matched OSI(top & sides only). At bottom, bead from outside to inside at sill and arcoss inside of inner sill board. Drop in window, push top out and up and screw top. Pull bottom in and screw. Only caulk and attatch after test fitting window and cutting sill angle extention to fit. We never caulk the bottom exterior unless the window is wrapped.

user38755 is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacement Windows thom Remodeling 17 07-14-2014 03:42 PM
Replacement Vinyl windows Project53 Windows, Siding and Doors 61 03-23-2011 08:02 PM
sq.ft. price on vinyl replacement windows ch0mpie Windows, Siding and Doors 10 08-16-2006 10:22 PM
Thermalgard replacement windows? ELM Windows, Siding and Doors 0 11-26-2005 06:45 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?