Carpenters Wages,what To Pay.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:47 AM   #1

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 10
Question

Carpenters Wages,what To Pay.

There seems to be quite a fluctuation in wages paid to UK Carpenters these days.
It dosent help with some of the overseas workers working for less than the UK Carpenter who themselves cant afford to earn less because of our larger outgoings in the UK.
Who can confirm a list of wages various carpenters should earn,which should include Self Employed to Companies,Public sector and Private sector,PAYE etc.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
Damn Skippy

Trade: You can completely control your attitude...if you.
Rewards Points: 4,480

Re: Carpenters Wages,what To Pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthor View Post
There seems to be quite a fluctuation in wages paid to UK Carpenters these days.
It dosent help with some of the overseas workers working for less than the UK Carpenter who themselves cant afford to earn less because of our larger outgoings in the UK.
Who can confirm a list of wages various carpenters should earn,which should include Self Employed to Companies,Public sector and Private sector,PAYE etc.
I am in Washington state, in the United States of America. Please forgive me for my lack of understanding, but your question makes no sense to me. Is there a "set rate" for all different types of work done in your Country? Who determines that?

I'm used to the marketplace dictating what the "general rate" for work done is...but then again, if you are the best at something, smart people will often pay more to have YOU do it.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #3

Hi
In the UK we have several wage schemes.
There is the Self Employed rate usually paid by the Contractor,either a set weekly rate or day work where the carpenter gets a given amount for example 140 to 200 per day.This amount is variable and is the basic question I am asking,in these present times what is an acceptable day work payment for the average carpenter.
It should be going up not down.
Many carpenters who work on the bench are paid far less than site carpenters in the UK,again it would be good to know what other Construction companies are willing to pay their various carpenters,either Self Employed or PAYE.
Many skilled carpenters usually price a job up and set their own rate,depending how good they are.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:32 AM   #4

Trade: 2nd Fix Carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

I guess, from what I hear, a lot of firms are switching to pricework for pretty much everything to micromanage costs. Thats a good thing and a bad thing for subs, who are potentially lined up to make better money less consistently.

I'm thinking a broad range for day rate would be 120 pound to 200 pound depending on so many varying factors.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #5

Is there much of a pay difference over in the USA as there is in the UK.
I was looking through some of the Agency work rates and was horrified that some (edited) recruitment agencies only offer the minimum wage of 5.80p an hour for semi-skilled carpenters and skilled carpenters only between 16,000 to 22,000 pa,many of these agencies dont hold the carpenters any higher than low office staff.
There is an exception though,we have an agency called the(edited) that pays all its carpenters pretty good money,from 100 to 200 a day,which is good in these times.They contract out lots of carpenters to Construction companies.
I remember being in Montreal,Canada some years ago and talking to some carpenters that earned seriously good money,far better than many in the UK,and being in Canada you get twice the size for 50% of what we can get here in the UK.
What are the rates in the US,well a rough guide.

Last edited by Kent Whitten; 07-11-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 250

Luthor are you really a Carpenter or some one advertising for a U.K. agency because you've mentioned that Tel No a few times now?
Old 05-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy d View Post
Luthor are you really a Carpenter or some one advertising for a U.K. agency because you've mentioned that Tel No a few times now?
A Construction Company Director (Master Carpenter still on the tools when needed),although I have several chippies that have been with me for a number of years.Its just that I was impressed with this Agency when I looked at their rates and they are all carpenters themselves who run it,not some silly office type who knows nothing about our work and being a chippy a plug for our own is always good.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Guy who plays with wood
Rewards Points: 516

Okay,you have to translate. what's a chippie?
Old 05-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

In the Toronto, Ontario, Canada area rates will vary from $15 to $30/hr. But a qualified licensed carpenter will get about $25. These are non union rates. Union rate is about $32.50/hr. The non union man also has to supply his own tools. Self employed - sub contract carpenters are charging anywhere from $30 to $50/hr. this varies depending mostly on skill and demand. Of course right now there is a general lack of work and guys are going out a little cheaper.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #10
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim40 View Post
Okay,you have to translate. what's a chippie?
Couldn't possibly have anything to do with someone who creates wood chips, could it?
Old 05-09-2009, 04:53 AM   #11

Trade: Joiner, Carpenter

Maybe you could hire these guys Luthor if your so concerned about rates. Reckon you could get these blokes real cheap[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/MJ/Desktop/work/poolladder.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2009, 05:05 AM   #12

Trade: Joiner, Carpenter

Sorry Luthor. Those damn Polish. ive read about it and my mums from Hull so love the queen and the good ile. Yer its no good when a formulated group of workers are doing work a bit cheaper and with a bit less quality. Because your usual client only does a reno or new build or whatever every say decade and they all have to learn (usually the hard way) that cheaper more often than not means worser. (sorry "worser" is not the queens English guv. Its the same in oz with the asians (not all im not a racist) and im sure its the same in America with the Mexicans (never been, not a racist, at all but do watch tv etc.) But as others have pointed out theres never a set rate. our market fluctuates daily and by area and by the individual.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:35 PM   #13

Trade: house builder

Gidday,
I lived in London for 8 years and ran a construction company there, we paid our chippies on cis4 cards between 15 18 phr site foreman around 20. Only if they were trade qualified and could prove it! This was quite hard to do in England so I mostly employed qualified New Zealand carpenters. Being a Kiwi Chippie myself it made it easy to predict the quality.
The reason I left England and set up shop back in New Zealand was the constant Gross undercutting by Eastern european countries moving into England once they joined the EU. A very sad state of affairs. You can't blame them though, when they were getting 3-4 phr in say Poland then coming to England finding they could earn 10 phr and still undercut everyone else
Never been happier back in NZ, with better rates alround to be made down under. Not to mention more sun. Sorry...
Old 05-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: General B Contractor C-5 Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoman View Post
In the Toronto, Ontario, Canada area rates will vary from $15 to $30/hr. But a qualified licensed carpenter will get about $25. These are non union rates. Union rate is about $32.50/hr. The non union man also has to supply his own tools. Self employed - sub contract carpenters are charging anywhere from $30 to $50/hr. this varies depending mostly on skill and demand. Of course right now there is a general lack of work and guys are going out a little cheaper.
Pretty close with us but non union goes from 10-25 and union (thank god myself though no work) 34.75 and same with contractors. I charge between 40-50 an hr when im using my license