Boral TruExterior Trim

Old 11-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,726

Boral TruExterior Trim

Who has used this or has any experiance with it.

http://www.boraltrim.com/truexterior

Is TruExterior Trim a proven product? Prior to it’s introduction, TruExterior Trim was subjected to rigorous third-party testing and years of real world field testing to prove it’s mechanical, physical and thermal properties.

What are ideal applications for TruExterior Trim? – TruExterior Trim must never be used in structural or load bearing applications. TruExterior Trim is an ideal product for exterior trim applications.

How do I store TruExterior Trim? – Store TruExterior Trim on a flat, level surface. Try to keep the board covered and free from dirt and debris until you are ready to install.

Is TruExterior Trim available in a smooth surface? - TruExterior Trim is reversible, with one side smooth and the other with a wood grain.

How is TruExterior Trim cleaned?If TruExterior Trim gets dirty, clean using a mild soap and water solution. Pressure washing with a light fan setting also works well, but please note that pressure washers can damage building materials if the pressure is too high.

Can I use standard wood working tools to cut TruExterior Trim? - Standard tools can be used to cut or work with TruExterior Trim, but carbide tipped blades and bit are recommended for longer tool life.

Can TruExterior Trim be mitered? – Yes, TruExterior Trim takes a miter easily, and unlike many other trim products, fasteners can be run through the miter.

Are there any special safety precautions needed when working with TruExterior Trim? - Use the same basic precautions as you would when working with wood. Always wear eye protection and we recommend a dust mask for the small amount of nuisance dust generated when cutting or routing TruExterior Trim.

What type of fasteners can be used with TruExterior Trim? – Use high quality, exterior grade fasteners fit for conditions of the application. TruExterior Trim can be installed using standard nail guns or screws, and standard trim nails work well.

Do I need to pre-drill TruExterior Trim? - Pre-drilling is not necessary.

Are there any specific fastening instructions? – Fasteners should be placed every 24” or less, and within 2” of the end of a board.

Can TruExterior Trim be used at grade? – Because TruExterior Trim absorbs virtually no moisture+, it can be used at grade or in direct contact with masonry.

When installing do I need to leave space for expansion and contraction? – TruExterior Trim is extremely stable during periods of temperature and moisture change+ and no special measures are necessary to limit or control movement.

Do I need to use adhesives when installing TruExterior Trim? – No, however exterior grade acrylic caulk and adhesive may be used to smooth out joints or miters prior to painting.

How are nail holes repaired? – Nail holes can be repaired using a high grade acrylic caulk, wood fillers, or auto body fillers such as Bondo®.

Does TruExterior Trim need to be primed? – TruExterior Trim comes with a factory applied primer. Because TruExterior Trim absorbs virtually no moisture, end cuts and field cuts do not need to be primed or sealed.

Are there any special instructions prior to painting? – Make sure the boards are free from dirt and debris, and are dry prior to painting, and be sure to follow your paint manufacturer's guidelines.

What type of paints can be used on TruExterior Trim? – Use any high grade exterior paint, of any color. Due to its dimensional stability, there is no need for special paints when painting TruExterior Trim a darker color.

Does TruExterior Trim have a warranty? – TruExterior Trim has a 20 Year Limited Warranty.

How will paint perform on TruExterior Trim as compared to wood? - Because TruExterior Trim is virtually impervious to water and does not cycle moisture+, paint will have improved performance on TruExterior Trim than it will on wood.

How long can TruExterior Trim be on the wall before painting? – Unpainted boards can be on the wall for up to 150 days before painting, but be sure to inspect the board for damage prior to painting.

Do I have to worry about termites? – No, TruExterior Trim is resistant to termite attacks+ and is approved for ground contact.

What about mold and mildew? – TruExterior Trim does not support mold or mildew growth+ and does not contain a food source for mold or mildew, but mold and mildew can grow via food sources that may be on the surface of TruExterior Trim or virtually any material for that matter.

Can TruExterior Trim be used with all exterior claddings? – Any exterior cladding will be complimented by the addition of TruExterior Trim.

How will TruExterior Trim perform in coastal areas? – TruExterior Trim will achieve the same exceptional level of performance in the harshest of climates and conditions, provided fasteners correct for the specific conditions are used.

TruExterior Trim “Green”? – Composed with over 75% recycled or rapidly renewable content, TruExterior Trim is a leading product when it comes to environmental responsibility in the exterior trim category.

Last edited by TBFGhost; 11-29-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 3,702

Re: Boral TruExterior Trim

i saw it at jlc last year...New Zealand or Australian no?

Old 11-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Finish Carpenter

Its made here in the US.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #4

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 75

is this the same as azack or koma board? both those look sweet after proper install but can be a beotch to cut
Old 12-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
Finish Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevonty View Post
is this the same as azack or koma board? both those look sweet after proper install but can be a beotch to cut
Azek. Its nothing like Azek. How is Azek hard to cut...its about as easy to cut as it gets...its just a bit floppy.
The Following User Says Thank You to TBFGhost For This Useful Post:
slowsol (12-06-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
Pro

doncha need one of dem plastic saw blades?
Old 12-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #7
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via AIM to Greg Di

Any ideas on cost?
Old 12-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #8
Pro

parent company is Australian,...i thought so,same product i saw
Old 12-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Masonry / Carpentry Construction and Restoration
Rewards Points: 3,028

Now were gonna be sucking in coal dust
Old 12-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
New Guy

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 12

I have used this stuff on some smaller repair work that I have done for HOA's. It cuts about like Hardi trim does. Yeah, that means a lot of dust.

The price point on the stuff was pretty high, only came in about ten dollars cheaper than using PVC boards manufactured Ex-Cell (that was 1x8 boards)

The other problem with them outside of cost is the warranty. They only warranty it for 20 yrs and that is to one owner. Miratec will warranty for fifty years to the first owner plus 2 more owners. Hardi board is the original purchaser plus one and that is over thirty years with their warranty. So that is something that has made me gun shy on using TruExterior on a larger project.

I am also a little biased because I do a lot of Homeowner Association Work, so I have to be the one going back out to a property year after year to work on it. So when I do a repair I still still plan on being there in a few years time so I have to make sure this stuff holds up for the long haul.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via AIM to Greg Di

They sent me a sample...

Needs to be painted and is much denser/heavier than PVC.

I suppose if I knew the job was getting painted, it would be an option worth trying versus PVC only because of the expansion/contraction/fastening issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Di For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (12-21-2011)
Old 12-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #12
Workin' Hard & Havin' Fun

Trade: Deck Designer/Builder
Rewards Points: 1,000

Biggest plus I see is the environmental benefit.
And that is based more on the clients needs, and not ours as contractors...