Bath Vanity Base Filler Strip

Old 03-02-2018, 01:02 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Repairs & Finishing
Rewards Points: 1,416

Bath Vanity Base Filler Strip

Vanity goes in a tight corner of a bath. There is only about 1/2" clearance between the basin counter edge to the outer door casing, which is a little tight. The base unit is made of a plywood wall and the filler strip looks something like laminate poplar or near this. Rough plumbed out of wall...

Cabinet has a smooth painted, fine finish on the outside that continues to the hinge side framing.

-> Could either size/rip the filler and predrill and screw from the inside I guess, or try to size it up and do the same from the concealed/wall side (but without a way to re-adjust in the future, after the cab is permanent). Of course if it's glued it's done 'acceptance style'.

Is there an easier way to do this?

-> Mount the cab and counter with an open gap, and then push in the filler from the outside ? Not too far! (how to bring it back?)

-> Mount the cab alone, then the filler, then the counter? Is this the common sense approach? (noting there is only about 3/8" counter extension - not much to screw through for the filler.)

Last edited by artinall; 03-02-2018 at 01:46 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2018, 01:56 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,436

Re: Bath Vanity Base Filler Strip

Add a piece to the box, scribe to wall.

Scribe strip.

Tom

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
artinall (03-02-2018), Tinstaafl (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Repairs & Finishing
Rewards Points: 1,416

Re: Bath Vanity Base Filler Strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbnwi View Post
Add a piece to the box, scribe to wall.

Scribe strip.

Tom
I love economy in writing. Just need to practice more of it myself...

You'd think I know this, just got done scribing the flooring!

Now wondering whether to fool with the kickplate - don't want to put on a vinyl base since the corner cut would show and it wouldn't look that great in a full wrap.

Last edited by artinall; 03-02-2018 at 04:17 PM.