Bad Day As A Carpenter When..

Old 10-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #1

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 16

Bad Day As A Carpenter When..

Hey guys. I am new to this forum, carpenter of 20 years. I happen to come across and join while searching google for tool bags. The other day I came out unloading tools out of a worksite and found that someone couldn't resist the urge to snatch my favorite Oxy Green Lights bags, loaded with tools, off the porch. God I loved those bags. If any of you guys know of anyone willing to part with a set of the old bags please let me know.

Last edited by Northgate53; 10-15-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Finish carpentry
Rewards Points: 422

Re: Bad Day As A Carpenter When..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate53 View Post
Hey guys. I am new to this forum, carpenter of 20 years. I happen to come across and join while searching google for tool bags. The other day I came out unloading tools out of a worksite and found that someone couldn't resist the urge to snatch my favorite Oxy Green Lights bags, loaded with tools, off the porch. God I loved those bags. If any of you guys know of anyone willing to part with a set of the old bags please let me know.
Totally feel for you man, it's heart breaking that a tradesmen would steal the tools that give you a living. I own a Veto pro tool carry case. If some someone took that from me, they would walk off with about 3,000 bucks in hand tools. I would be so pissed. Many of the tools couldn't be replaced at the local super store.

Advertisement

Last edited by Stilla; 10-15-2017 at 12:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stilla For This Useful Post:
koa (10-15-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 06:44 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 5,131

pawnshops?

there is a tool ad space on this forum.....

300.00$ over 20 yrs isn't very costly IMHO. Man up and buy a New bag.

maybe a rear facing dash board cam @ 40.00$.........

Working on a job site with a crime problem has to add to billing overhead as one spends ever more time locking everything up in stead making money....

Old 10-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,176

Be honest; you sold the bags for a teener of meth right?

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (11-03-2017), Anderson (10-28-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 06:37 PM   #5
Master Mason

Rewards Points: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilla View Post
Totally feel for you man, it's heart breaking that a tradesmen would steal the tools that give you a living. I own a Veto pro tool carry case. If some someone took that from me, they would walk off with about 3,000 bucks in hand tools. I would be so pissed. Many of the tools couldn't be replaced at the local super store.
I absolutely hate thieves.

The cost of all the tools are part of the bad part, but all the time it would take to gather all of the stuff is a bummer.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:21 AM   #6
Pro

I put together a "side' job tool set and loaner tools for helpers the first time I left my tools at the day job when Moonlighting.....

If a tool is irreplaceable, why are you using it?

If you aren't making enough money to buy every hand tool every year or less, YOU AREN"T charging enough or are over tooling for your pay grade......

It is time maybe to change your roll up procedures? Maybe team up with another sub that is working the same hrs/ quitting time...

Greet and meet all the people on the job, many won't steal from "friends"

Sadly the thief's employer probably knows he's got a criminal working from him already, but doesn't take action if he doesn't steal a lot from him.... " it is your fault for leaving your tools alone for X minutes....

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 11-03-2017 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouthgeneration View Post
I put together a "side' job tool set and loaner tools for helpers the first time I left my tools at the day job when Moonlighting.....

If you aren't making enough money to buy every hand tool every year or less, YOU AREN"T charging enough or are over tooling for your pay grade......

It is time maybe to change your roll up procedures? Maybe team up with another sub that is working the same hrs/ quitting time...

Sadly the thief's employer probably knows he's got a criminal working from him already, but doesn't take action if he doesn't steal a lot from him.... " it is your fault for leaving your tools alone for X minutes....

I have no idea what you are talking about, just serves no point, you are rambling. This one slip is 100% my fault for sure. I have many duplicates of each tool other than my 10oz stiletto and 2 bags(have another belt). I already bought another stiletto. One time in 21 years I was moving things onto a porch leaving a job and THIS one time someone passing on the sidewalk, in a ten minute span, snatched my bags off a porch. I have 2 other oxy belts (adjust trimmer and leather pro framer note: I would trade either). This has NOTHING to do with money, have no idea where you get is has to do with money. I really liked my good condition green lights bags, just looking for another set because people have them around. I used the bags because I like them. Sorry I am the only one it ever happened to, and to post about it.

Last edited by Northgate53; 11-05-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:57 PM   #8
Pro

NorthGate53: In general the more a suggestion offends you, the more should consider it....

If you really love those type of bags, BUY TWO this time.

It is tough to continue to learn as we get older. IMO

Just about any upholstery/tentmaker shop should be able to modify a set of bags to satisfy you.

Contractors have tools stolen all the time, your reaction struck me as a little immature.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fouthgeneration For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 08:31 PM   #9

Quote:
NorthGate53: In general the more a suggestion offends you, the more should consider it....

If you really love those type of bags, BUY TWO this time.

It is tough to continue to learn as we get older. IMO

Just about any upholstery/tentmaker shop should be able to modify a set of bags to satisfy you.

Contractors have tools stolen all the time, your reaction struck me as a little immature.
I apologize.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:59 AM   #10
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 5,822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate53 View Post
I apologize.
For what?

Regardless that they can be replaced. It's an impersonal act by the thief and very personal to the thieved.

We don't spend that money on bags because we don't care or lack pride - just the opposite.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #11
Pro

NG 53:Apology accepted, but not necessary.

Just consider what I post, I don't expect a grown man to make large changes in their thinking.... Heck there is a TINY chance I'm wrong....IMHO

I work in about 50/50 in smaller cities less 20,000 pop. or in the capitol of ~350,000, in the big city, working on larger commercial jobs requires constantly watching tools and materials 24/7/365 unfortunately. In the smaller trade areas, working thieves are soon outed, the off job thieves not so much.

For me having something stolen by co-worker is a much larger violation then a theft by a stranger....And of course the pond scum that buy stolen anything will have very Hot or cold place in Hell hopefully.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:43 PM   #12
Punching above his weight

Trade: What do you need?
Rewards Points: 3,544

Quote:

I had my tools taken a couple years ago. I don't care about the pry bars. I can buy new ones. I know I can buy new bags too, but my Dad didn't build the house I was raised in with them, and the antique conversation piece monkey wrench that was in there was used by my grandfather when he was a plumbing apprentice in the 20's working his way through college with a summer job. I used it maybe a couple times a year, but it was always fun to talk about. I have a new wrench now. It works just as well, but my environment isn't as bright as it used to be and I don't get to have the conversations that the old wrench led to.
The guy who took the tool bag probably threw it right in the gutter too. Valueless to him.

Advertisement

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Easy Gibson For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (11-11-2017), Rio (11-12-2017), SmallTownGuy (11-11-2017), Stilla (11-11-2017)