Acoustical Caulking Question

Old 08-23-2015, 12:09 AM   #1
Pro or somethin'...

Trade: Tinwoodman
Rewards Points: 1,142

Acoustical Caulking Question

Excuse my ignorance if I've missed something obvious. But WHY is acoustical caulking required on double framing members? I see guys caulking every double stud and all around the window and door headers, etc. and then cover it all with poly and seal the edges. I thought the poly was the air barrier and the caulking was to seal the joints and edges. What good does it do to smear this stuff in the crack between 2 studs? I've never done it or been called on it though I've been lead to believe its code. Clue me in.....

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-23-2015, 12:20 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,910

Re: Acoustical Caulking Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthill View Post
Excuse my ignorance if I've missed something obvious. But WHY is acoustical caulking required on double framing members? I see guys caulking every double stud and all around the window and door headers, etc. and then cover it all with poly and seal the edges. I thought the poly was the air barrier and the caulking was to seal the joints and edges. What good does it do to smear this stuff in the crack between 2 studs? I've never done it or been called on it though I've been lead to believe its code. Clue me in.....
If 0 degree air blows between studs, and makes it to the back of the drywall the system has failed. Even if it can't enter a stud bay, if it is to the back of the drywall it is to far.

Advertisement

Old 08-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #3
Pro or somethin'...

so the idea is for that 1/32 of caulking to provide enough insulation to keep cold from reaching the poly/drywall?

Old 08-23-2015, 12:01 PM   #4
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 8,314

I'm not familiar with putting acoustical sealant between a king and jack stud (I think that's what you're talking about). If you are trying to air seal at that point in the building envelope you are too late.
But acoustical sealant is used to prevent air leakage not provide insulation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morning Wood For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (08-23-2015), Philament (09-05-2017)
Old 08-23-2015, 09:24 PM   #5
Pro or somethin'...

that's what I always thought. I might have to dig into it a little more and see if I can find a reason for it.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:49 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: electrical
Rewards Points: 229

Depends on what the wall system is using for an air barrier. Air tight drywall? Membrane behind finished wall? Interior plywood/osb with service cavity? Exterior sheathing as air barrier?

Normally acoustical sealant or neoprene gaskets are used for air tight drywall. Caulking the stud joints of an interior parition wall where it meets an exterior wall is one example. You don't want air drafting around or between that stud into your interior parition wall cavities.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:59 PM   #7

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 4

When i do it, i always assume its acting as a more direct air barrier, reducing any changes of currents happening between the poly and framing members if the drywall doesn't sit flat enough to seal them. this is especially true when framing members aren't perfectly flush, possibly allowing convection currents to happen and therefore drawing more air in through gaps, like in between the king stud and trimmer.

Advertisement