Tuscan Leveling System

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #221
If my PO asks,I set tile
 
Evan1968's Avatar
 
Trade: Commercial Tile Installs
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 688
Rewards Points: 1,160

Re: Tuscan Leveling System


Your right, I'm a commercial hack.......
Attached Thumbnails
Tuscan Leveling System-img_1589.jpg   Tuscan Leveling System-img_1557.jpg   Tuscan Leveling System-img_0016-1-.jpg  
__________________
Craig
Tile Installations Unlimited
"If you can't wow them with knowledge,baffle them with bullcrap."

Last edited by angus242; 06-17-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Evan1968 is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 06-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #222
Pro
 
JohnFRWhipple's Avatar
 
Trade: Linear shower drain installations & waterproofing
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Vancouver
Posts: 3,020
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Tuscan Leveling System




All me. Construction. Setting. Floating Hearth. Mirror Install. Lighting.



All me. Carpentry. Tile. Sealing. Design. Build.



Action shot. All me.

Some how I managed to use shims and my thumb to build all these. Evan because I choose to not set all my projects does not mean I don't know how.

JW
JohnFRWhipple is offline  
Old 06-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #223
Carpe Diem
 
angus242's Avatar
 
Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20,533
Rewards Points: 1,114

Re: Tuscan Leveling System


And just because someone doesn't follow what you think to be a correct method doesn't make them wrong either. I'll be honest, I don't have to check my coverage. I can tell whether it's good or not when I'm setting.

Enough of the testosterone posting.
__________________
Angus
angus242 is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to angus242 For This Useful Post:
Evan1968 (06-17-2012), Groutface (06-17-2012), PrecisionFloors (06-18-2012)
   
 
Old 06-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #224
Groutface
 
Groutface's Avatar
 
Trade: flooring installer
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: windsor ontario
Posts: 824
Rewards Points: 524

Re: Tuscan Leveling System


Quote:
Originally Posted by Groutface
Here's today's rls job 24 x 24, 200 sq ft......cost.........$22 for pillars......super flat
Just went to other supplier $13 for 100 clips,$21 for 100 wedges
Groutface is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #225
Pro
 
JohnFRWhipple's Avatar
 
Trade: Linear shower drain installations & waterproofing
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Vancouver
Posts: 3,020
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Tuscan Leveling System


Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
And just because someone doesn't follow what you think to be a correct method doesn't make them wrong either. I'll be honest, I don't have to check my coverage. I can tell whether it's good or not when I'm setting.

Enough of the testosterone posting.
Angus sorry. You need to check your coverage. This is a step I see every Pro here in Vancouver do - I do it, they do it. And it's required by all tile bodies that it be done.

I doubt you can "Hear" the sound of proper coverage on every tile and every job. My guys nor I check every single tile but we still check. Most times it's after a fresh bucket of thin set or towards the end of the working time. But checking is the safe guard and takes no time at all.

The toy guns are silly - My opinion. Not checking for coverage rates is equally silly. Not using a straight edge - Sillier still.

What is a testosterone post?

JW
JohnFRWhipple is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #226
Carpe Diem
 
angus242's Avatar
 
Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20,533
Rewards Points: 1,114

Re: Tuscan Leveling System


Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFRWhipple View Post
The toy guns are silly - My opinion. Not checking for coverage rates is equally silly. Not using a straight edge - Sillier still.
Opinions and a-holes.......everybody's got one :
__________________
Angus
angus242 is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to angus242 For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (06-18-2012), Evan1968 (06-18-2012), I Mester (06-18-2012), PrecisionFloors (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #227
Chief Reporter of Spam
 
Tech Dawg's Avatar
 
Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,587
Rewards Points: 1,282

Re: Tuscan Leveling System


Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFRWhipple

All me. Construction. Setting. Floating Hearth. Mirror Install. Lighting.

All me. Carpentry. Tile. Sealing. Design. Build.

Action shot. All me.

Some how I managed to use shims and my thumb to build all these. Evan because I choose to not set all my projects does not mean I don't know how.

JW
JDub,
I think Craig just likes to bust your chops now and again.. checking coverage is important but Craig installs 50 - 80k sf per year so we all know where he's coming from. In commercial, there is no time for that, ya just gotta know what you're doing
The only callbacks ever mentioned to me by Craig was a couple grout repairs however, most all commercial projects spec standard cement grout to save $$$... Id say that's their problem though
__________________
Todd
Alone Eagle Remodeling, LLC
Tech Dawg is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #228
Holy Crap!
 
ROVACON's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contracting-Renovations-Carpentry
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Castle County, Delaware
Posts: 512
Rewards Points: 296

Re: Tuscan Leveling System


I'll be honest, I never check coverage when a membrane is involved.

Too many times has it damaged the membrane in return and most of the time the membrane has been installed 24-48hrs prior to the tile.

Especially if I am using Ultraflex 2 That stuff is like a freakin flytrap!
__________________
Brian
ROVACON is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ROVACON For This Useful Post:
Groutface (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #229
Carpe Diem
 
angus242's Avatar
 
Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20,533
Rewards Points: 1,114

Re: Tuscan Leveling System


You're silly. WOOT!
__________________
Angus
angus242 is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #230
Groutface
 
Groutface's Avatar
 
Trade: flooring installer
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: windsor ontario
Posts: 824
Rewards Points: 524

Re: Tuscan Leveling System


New use for ultra flex 2...... Fly trap......its good stuff....
Groutface is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Groutface For This Useful Post:
ROVACON (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #231
Holy Crap!
 
ROVACON's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contracting-Renovations-Carpentry
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Castle County, Delaware
Posts: 512
Rewards Points: 296

Re: Tuscan Leveling System


Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
You're silly. WOOT!
Only on Mondays......
__________________
Brian
ROVACON is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ROVACON For This Useful Post:
angus242 (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #232
Chief Reporter of Spam
 
Tech Dawg's Avatar
 
Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,587
Rewards Points: 1,282

Re: Tuscan Leveling System


Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVACON
I'll be honest, I never check coverage when a membrane is involved.

Too many times has it damaged the membrane in return and most of the time the membrane has been installed 24-48hrs prior to the tile.

Especially if I am using Ultraflex 2 That stuff is like a freakin flytrap!
Good point. I don't pull back membranes either except for once when I first tried laticrete's Sure Set to set a floor membrane. I was investigating how it works since its a full contact mortar and creates water dispursion after enclosed to back butter itself. I lightly smooshed the membrane down by hand and lifted a section to check and it was fully covered. I've been using that thinset for membranes ever since... Works great!
__________________
Todd
Alone Eagle Remodeling, LLC
Tech Dawg is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech Dawg For This Useful Post:
ROVACON (06-18-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #233
Pro
 
JohnFRWhipple's Avatar
 
Trade: Linear shower drain installations & waterproofing
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Vancouver
Posts: 3,020
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Tuscan Leveling System


I'm surprised you men don't check your coverage rates. If your worried about your waterproofing membrane I think you need a new membrane or need to give your membrane more time to cure.

Checking coverage is the only way to know how they are setting. All my top setters do this and so do I.

Not checking coverage rates is like building a shower and not flood testing it - your just hoping it's good but really have no idea.

The TCNA specification guide in the Field and Installation Requirements section on page 32 outlines periodically checking the coverage rates. Your aiming for 95% coverage in the showers, no voids over 2" and no voids in the corners. Pretty hard to guess on this I'm thinking.

JW
JohnFRWhipple is offline  
Old 06-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #234
Holy Crap!
 
ROVACON's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contracting-Renovations-Carpentry
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Castle County, Delaware
Posts: 512
Rewards Points: 296

Re: Tuscan Leveling System


Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFRWhipple View Post
I'm surprised you men don't check your coverage rates. If your worried about your waterproofing membrane I think you need a new membrane or need to give your membrane more time to cure.

Checking coverage is the only way to know how they are setting. All my top setters do this and so do I.

Not checking coverage rates is like building a shower and not flood testing it - your just hoping it's good but really have no idea.

The TCNA specification guide in the Field and Installation Requirements section on page 32 outlines periodically checking the coverage rates. Your aiming for 95% coverage in the showers, no voids over 2" and no voids in the corners. Pretty hard to guess on this I'm thinking.

JW
John-

I totally understand what you are saying and practicing. However, When I install tile, my thinset is combed in the same direction, my tile is burned before laying and uniform pressure and movement is used for each tile.

That being said, checking coverage is fine but you're only checking periodically anyway. So, your coverage is only as good as the last tile that you checked.

I installed a shower not to long ago with Nobel TS (great sh!t) and used ULTRAFLEX 2 as my setting material. 48 hrs later I began wall tile installation. A day and a half later, the homeowner decided she wanted solid slab jambs and not bullnose. I painstakingly removed each tile but inevitably ripped up the membrane in the process (don't worry a little Aqua D took care of that ).

Three and a half days should be long enough for a cure time IMO for the fabric to really be locked into the thinset.

I do practice flood testing, it goes a long way with my inspectors and I do believe in always using a water proofing membrane of some kind.

I simply don't believe that you need to constantly check coverage to be considered a PRO. Sorry that took so long to say!

Thanks.
__________________
Brian
ROVACON is offline  
Old 06-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #235
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 23,973
Rewards Points: 13,080

Re: Tuscan Leveling System


Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVACON View Post
John-

I totally understand what you are saying and practicing. However, When I install tile, my thinset is combed in the same direction, my tile is burned before laying and uniform pressure and movement is used for each tile.

That being said, checking coverage is fine but you're only checking periodically anyway. So, your coverage is only as good as the last tile that you checked.

I installed a shower not to long ago with Nobel TS (great sh!t) and used ULTRAFLEX 2 as my setting material. 48 hrs later I began wall tile installation. A day and a half later, the homeowner decided she wanted solid slab jambs and not bullnose. I painstakingly removed each tile but inevitably ripped up the membrane in the process (don't worry a little Aqua D took care of that ).

Three and a half days should be long enough for a cure time IMO for the fabric to really be locked into the thinset.

I do practice flood testing, it goes a long way with my inspectors and I do believe in always using a water proofing membrane of some kind.

I simply don't believe that you need to constantly check coverage to be considered a PRO. Sorry that took so long to say!

Thanks.
Like saying you aren't a pro unless you test every wire you run...piss on that.
__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is offline  
Old 06-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #236
If my PO asks,I set tile
 
Evan1968's Avatar
 
Trade: Commercial Tile Installs
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 688
Rewards Points: 1,160

Re: Tuscan Leveling System


Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple
The TCNA specification guide in the Field and Installation Requirements section on page 32 outlines periodically checking the coverage rates. Your aiming for 95% coverage in the showers, no voids over 2" and no voids in the corners.
If you were to go back in history and take every president, you'll find that the numerical value of each letter in their name was equally divisible into the year in which they were elected. By my calculations, our next president has to be named Yellnick McWawa.

In other words...thanks Cliff Claven for actually getting out the guide and telling us something we already know.
__________________
Craig
Tile Installations Unlimited
"If you can't wow them with knowledge,baffle them with bullcrap."

Last edited by Evan1968; 06-29-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Evan1968 is offline  
Old 06-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #237
Paul
 
PrecisionFloors's Avatar
 
Trade: Hard Surface Flooring
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 4,120
Rewards Points: 1,004

Re: Tuscan Leveling System


Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan1968 View Post
If you were to go back in history and take every president, you'll find that the numerical value of each letter in their name was equally divisible into the year in which they were elected. By my calculations, our next president has to be named Yellnick McWawa.

In other words...thanks Cliff Claven for actually getting out the guide and telling us something we already know.
Bravo!
__________________
Precision Floors
(772) 237-9900
Tile, Hardwood, Laminate, and Resilient
Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
PrecisionFloors is offline  
Old 06-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #238
Carpe Diem
 
angus242's Avatar
 
Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20,533
Rewards Points: 1,114

Re: Tuscan Leveling System


__________________
Angus
angus242 is offline  
Old 06-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #239
Groutface
 
Groutface's Avatar
 
Trade: flooring installer
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: windsor ontario
Posts: 824
Rewards Points: 524

Re: Tuscan Leveling System


Classic Claven
Groutface is offline  
Old 06-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #240
Carpe Diem
 
angus242's Avatar
 
Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20,533
Rewards Points: 1,114

Re: Tuscan Leveling System


Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Like saying you aren't a pro unless you test every wire you run...piss on that.
Are you professionally suggesting that we piss on wires to test them?

Advertisement

__________________
Angus
angus242 is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
clemco easy load system and closed circuit blasting system goosesgarage Sandblasting 9 11-22-2010 11:41 PM
Weep system for thin veneer Stone Masonry 3 07-01-2010 11:15 PM
Inspector wants fire sprinkler system TLE/RL1911 General Discussion 90 06-04-2010 04:35 PM
forced hot-water system daniem1 HVAC 1 03-02-2006 04:37 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?