What Would You Charge - Fence Painting

Old 10-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: commercial building restoration

What Would You Charge - Fence Painting

how much would you guys charge to paint 2,600 linear feet of 6' high chain link fence with silverbrite or equal? approx. 31,200 square feet (both sides).

we have to brush and roll because the paint does not dry fast and if we spray it will cover the cars in parking lots near by.

see attached picture, it is just part of the outfield fence.
Attached Thumbnails
what would you charge - fence painting-roman-park-003.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Squirrel Handler

Re: What Would You Charge - Fence Painting

Make yourself a "tent" out of PVC and tarps, 4 side walls with no roof (slots for the fence), and spray it, move the "tent" as you go along, I'm not a painter but just painted over 700 lin. feet of chain link fence like that and it worked out beautifully, quick, and no mess.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #3

Trade: Painting: Commercial, High Rise, Custom, Residential

IMHO, rolling this fence could be a real time waster.

Talk to your local paint reps and find an "Electrostatic Sprayer" to rent. You're dealing with over a mile of fence here, and rolling could take hours and leave you with drips and an uneven finish. Your paint rep can explain better than a message board post, but basically the paint gets a negative charge at the tip and the fence is positively charged by a connection on the rig. This attracts the paint to the fence in an even and 360 degree pattern. Most of the time, you only have to spray from one side. The reps will tell you it increases you transfer efficiency from around 40% with standard spray to about 75% with electrostatic. This means less labor, less material, and less overspray.
Experience: Formerly an outside sales rep for a paint manufacturer. Was offered a better job as an estimator for a paint contractor company and never looked back. So when I give my .02 cents, well it still doesn't matter...
Old 10-10-2008, 06:13 AM   #4
Pro

Can you run silverbrite through an electrostatic painting machine?

I am pretty sure they dont rent that equipment.

there is no electric in a field so we would have to run generators, that adds cost in fuel. plus the time to setup and move a scaffold tent.

we painted about 15,000 square feet of fence for this customer already by brush and roll. it came in at 18% profit. it would have come in at our average 30% but i underestimated the amount of material by about 40 gallons. the ICI equivalent to the SW SilverBrite runs $34 per gallon. and my guys we milking the job due to the crappyness of the scope of work.

i am pretty sure that electrostatic is not an option. airless spraying will waste even more material than rolling. so i kind of have to brush and roll. i averaged about 175 square feet per gallon the first phase (back in 2006) so we are looking at about $6,125.00 in material + new material markup, rollers, etc.

What do you think a good labor price per square foot would be based on similar jobs you guys have completed?

I think that i went $1.75 the first time around. think i can get away with $2.95 per square foot ($91,500.00)? I would like to get $5 per sf but its like $155,000.00 for a fence that is going out to public bid. so i only get one shot at it.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
A bit abrasive.

Trade: Painting

Airless turned to 1/4~1/2 power with a "green" fine finish tip of your choice.
Spray at an angle rather than straight at the fence.
Worked for me while painting the fence around the gardening center of a new Super Target store.

P.S. NEVER shake Silverbrite in a mechanical shaker...BOOM!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
Pro

Send a message via AIM to boman47k

I'm wodering how this fence job came out. Also wonder how you prepped it.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAV View Post
What do you think a good labor price per square foot would be based on similar jobs you guys have completed?

I think that i went $1.75 the first time around. think i can get away with $2.95 per square foot ($91,500.00)? I would like to get $5 per sf but its like $155,000.00 for a fence that is going out to public bid. so i only get one shot at it.
$155k~ you can rip out all of the old fence and install a new one for that.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Pro

Job is on hold. should go in the spring. will let you guys know how it goes once they proceed with it.

$5sf that would be sweet
Old 01-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
Pro

Send a message via AIM to boman47k

When and if you do it, how do you prep that with all the rust?
Old 01-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor

Quote:
Those numbers are hard to swallow. For that kind of money brand new fence would be way cheaper.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: home builder carpenter Central Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
Those numbers are hard to swallow. For that kind of money brand new fence would be way cheaper.
yeah, you aint kidding! I would think you could put in a whole new fence for less than 50k. And that would seem high to me.

Any way looks like something needs to be invented for that job. Like someone said a tent. Make it with a wall on either side of fence and narrow slots for fence front and back.Spay bars mounted on both sides with multiple heads. The whole thing rolling on atv tires powerd by golf cart motor. On board paint tank and pump for airless or compressor for coventional spraying. Could take it a step farther and go powder coat with a brass brush that rides the fence in front of machine for the positive charge. No waste! Hi volume fans and filters could stop spray drift too.
Sorry to high jack a thread i dont know anything about. It just got the inventer side of my brain going.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #12
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Send a message via ICQ to A W Smith

wow that seems high, though im not a painter, How many man hours?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:27 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring

The tent idea is genius. Pure genius have three guys. Sprayer man and a mover on each side. I bet you could shoot it in a day. I shot 7000 square in a day by myself including moving ladders, generator and humping the paint. F the xtra materials. Make 30 grand in one day and beat all of the competitors on the bid. So what if it cost a couple hundred for the pvc tent. Chump change.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #14
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparehair View Post
The tent idea is genius. Pure genius have three guys. Sprayer man and a mover on each side. I bet you could shoot it in a day. I shot 7000 square in a day by myself including moving ladders, generator and humping the paint. F the xtra materials. Make 30 grand in one day and beat all of the competitors on the bid. So what if it cost a couple hundred for the pvc tent. Chump change.
4 Guys. It would be easier to Shot one side, pass the gun over to the Second sprayer then move.

2 Spray Guys. 2 Move Guys!

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Old 02-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #15

Quote:
how much would you guys charge to paint 2,600 linear feet of 6' high chain link fence with silverbrite or equal? approx. 31,200 square feet (both sides).

we have to brush and roll because the paint does not dry fast and if we spray it will cover the cars in parking lots near by.

see attached picture, it is just part of the outfield fence.

I would like to know if you recieved any quotes. I have 1850 ln.ft. to paint myself and would like to know the price per linear foot. Let me know.
thanx.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:49 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcj View Post
yeah, you aint kidding! I would think you could put in a whole new fence for less than 50k. And that would seem high to me.

2,600 linear feet of 6' high heavy gauge fencing installed is going to run more than $50K. dont forget the new posts and top rail unless your fence installation company is going to paint it for you.

ahawtdawg - how high is the fence? you cant do a job like that off the linear footage. you have to figure square feet and figure both sides. read the post it has some prices in it.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:02 AM   #17
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor

Quote:
Can you run silverbrite through an electrostatic painting machine?

I am pretty sure they dont rent that equipment.

there is no electric in a field so we would have to run generators, that adds cost in fuel. plus the time to setup and move a scaffold tent.

we painted about 15,000 square feet of fence for this customer already by brush and roll. it came in at 18% profit. it would have come in at our average 30% but i underestimated the amount of material by about 40 gallons. the ICI equivalent to the SW SilverBrite runs $34 per gallon. and my guys we milking the job due to the crappyness of the scope of work.

i am pretty sure that electrostatic is not an option. airless spraying will waste even more material than rolling. so i kind of have to brush and roll. i averaged about 175 square feet per gallon the first phase (back in 2006) so we are looking at about $6,125.00 in material + new material markup, rollers, etc.

The fence can be replaced for less than $20,000, even with a 50% markup, it would be $30,000.

Whoever put it out for bid should be smart enough to compare the difference between replacing the fence, with painting it, they would be better off replacing it.

I am sure since it is going out to public bid, someone will sell them on replacing the fence.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #18
Pro

$7.70 a linear foot material and labor to install a 6' high #9 gauge new fence? and you will paint the posts and rail. i will sub contract it to you. does that include disposal of the old fence too? Thats $1.28 a square foot for a new fence installed.

By the way if you markup $20,000 50% you would have $40,000 not $30,000. $30,000 is approximately a 33% markup. No wonder your prices are so cheap, you cant add.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #19
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor

Quote:
$7.70 a linear foot material and labor to install a 6' high #9 gauge new fence? and you will paint the posts and rail. i will sub contract it to you. does that include disposal of the old fence too? Thats $1.28 a square foot for a new fence installed.

By the way if you markup $20,000 50% you would have $40,000 not $30,000. $30,000 is approximately a 33% markup. No wonder your prices are so cheap, you cant add.
You may want to buy a new calculator and re check your math, I didn't use one, I did the math in my head.

Basic math $20,000 x 1.5 = $30,000

If you markup up $20,000, $20,000 for a selling price of $40,000, that would be a 100% markup.

If you replace all of the fence it will not have to be painted, getting rid of the material is easy, even with the cost of steel being down, it still has value at the recycling plant, the days of just throwing materials away are over, many things can and are recycled.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Porch and Deck Builder

Quote:

It's actually multiplication not addition, but who's counting. Have you become a millionaire by accident by marking up your bids by 100%, and thinking it was 50%?

http://www.vicporch.ca
Deck Fence Porch Builder Toronto