Cutting Walls Along Popcorn Ceiling

Old 06-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Life-Long-Learner

Trade: Home Repair & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

Cutting Walls Along Popcorn Ceiling

I am extremely confident in my painting skills, knowledge, and abilities but I am constantly getting frustrated as I try to cut the wall along the ceiling, specifically popcorn ceilings.

Along trim work, framing, and other edges I have not one single problem making a clean cut edge but nothing I do can I get a crisp edge along the ceiling. I end up spending more time perfecting and fixing the ceiling line than I do on the rest of the painting on my projects.

What do you guys do? I refuse to use those "edging" tools because I have used them before and frankly I think it is unprofessional to be using such a "tool" (that is unless you guys recommend it) Do you use a straight edge knife or something???

Thanks in advance!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
;-p

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 2,350

Re: Cutting Walls Along Popcorn Ceiling

You cannot expect a perfect line with popcorn.

Some of the guys here have suggested before having the ceiling color go on the wall about a 1/2" or so. I have never used this method before but it might be what you are looking for.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,557

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc handyman View Post
I am extremely confident in my painting skills, knowledge, and abilities but I am constantly getting frustrated as I try to cut the wall along the ceiling, specifically popcorn ceilings.

Along trim work, framing, and other edges I have not one single problem making a clean cut edge but nothing I do can I get a crisp edge along the ceiling. I end up spending more time perfecting and fixing the ceiling line than I do on the rest of the painting on my projects.

What do you guys do? I refuse to use those "edging" tools because I have used them before and frankly I think it is unprofessional to be using such a "tool" (that is unless you guys recommend it) Do you use a straight edge knife or something???

Thanks in advance!
mc, Use your paper machine. Then spray it. Perfect lines every time.

-Paul
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sir Mixalot For This Useful Post:
CrpntrFrk (06-13-2011), Frankawitz (11-13-2011), mc handyman (06-14-2011), RCPainting (06-22-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling & Painting
Rewards Points: 150

Sometimes you just have to fake a straight line, popcorn is usually one of those times. It's the illusion of a straight line that you are looking for.

I normally start by running a 6" knife along the edge. I see a lot of guys using short stop and go strokes trying to cut in a line. You want long steady strokes, if a spot along the ceiling doesn't fill don't stop, continue your line and then go back and fill in. Sash brushes don't work well here they don't hold enough paint. I prefer a 3" wall brush like the Swan or even better a oval wall brush ..think Purdy's is called the Pip

Sometimes to get the line to look straight from the floor, it's necessary that your wall color goes into the ceiling just a frog's hair. When this is needed to get a straight looking line, it's better to go into the ceiling instead of stopping short of the ceiling angle. Looks much better from the floor view.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
House Painters Reading PA

Trade: House Painting, Roof Cleaning, Pressure Washing
Rewards Points: 250

Usually this comes from the sheet rock guys not going around the edges of the ceiling when finishing their walls.when in new construction we always just took a sharp edge tool and run it across the ceiling line to get all of that junk out of the line and go with it. No matter what there will be no actual straight lines when following these edges because there is no such thing as straight sheet rock lines or edges to cut through and I explain this to home owners before I start.I give them options that we can make a straight illusion of a line or follow the one that is before us. Make them sign off and go with it.

484-334-1311
Old 07-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
New Guy

Trade: Paint
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryE View Post
Sometimes you just have to fake a straight line, popcorn is usually one of those times. It's the illusion of a straight line that you are looking for.

I normally start by running a 6" knife along the edge. I see a lot of guys using short stop and go strokes trying to cut in a line. You want long steady strokes, if a spot along the ceiling doesn't fill don't stop, continue your line and then go back and fill in. Sash brushes don't work well here they don't hold enough paint. I prefer a 3" wall brush like the Swan or even better a oval wall brush ..think Purdy's is called the Pip

Sometimes to get the line to look straight from the floor, it's necessary that your wall color goes into the ceiling just a frog's hair. When this is needed to get a straight looking line, it's better to go into the ceiling instead of stopping short of the ceiling angle. Looks much better from the floor view.
I'd listen to this guy, he knows what he is talking about, though I think he forgot one thing, when you paint your ceiling first bring your cut line down the wall a few inches so when you cut the wall in you can better manipulate the illusion. The pop corn will blend into the little bit of white you leave on the wall to avoid the ceiling.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 560

take an old fashioned can opener and drag it down the corner, should give you an easy line to follow.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #8

Trade: Painting and pressure washing

Quote:
Originally Posted by roads View Post
I'd listen to this guy, he knows what he is talking about, though I think he forgot one thing, when you paint your ceiling first bring your cut line down the wall a few inches so when you cut the wall in you can better manipulate the illusion. The pop corn will blend into the little bit of white you leave on the wall to avoid the ceiling.
I also agree, create an optical illusion and make your own line.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:32 PM   #9

Trade: Painting

Most ceilings aren't perfect. Depending on the ceiling. Sometimes the texture comes to far down on the wall and sometimes not enough. If looking for perfection. Scrape what you need away with a scraper or something. Then cut in a straight line.
I think getting a very very small amount of paint on the ceiling looks better than coming up short. My opinion.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,072

popcorn is a pain to cut we would take 6" and scrape the wall up to the ceiling removing any texture, then we would paint walls tight to ceiling, then come back in mask off top of walls and spray ceilings. when you pull your tape nice clean lines. Good luck
Old 11-13-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
Trailer park boy

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,025

Use the point on your 5-in-1 and run it along the ceiling where the ceiling meets the wall, this will give a decently straight line to cut.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #12
Level 27 Contractor

Trade: Renovation
Rewards Points: 500

I personally feel that cutting the popcorn ceiling is easier then cutting a regular ceiling, the human eye has a harder time distinguishing the straight line of a popcorn ceiling, so I just go with it

Check out my gallery here http://on.fb.me/I2XylV
Check out my blog here http://sebastianbethke1337.wordpress.com/
Old 02-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via AIM to boman47k

When we first sprayed this ceiling, I took a mud knife and went around it scraping up the wall to the ceiling to get a straight line when cleaning the texture overspray off the walls. I hoped this would leave a straight line to cut into. Worked out pretty good. I did not use a wet brush for the cut in. I did some scraping of the brush on the cutin pot. Wiggle and push along, play by ear.

P.S. I mentioned the fact that I cleaned the line up at the ceiling myself to say the quality of the line at the intersection of the wall and the ceiling can can make the cutin so much easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Cutting Walls Along Popcorn Ceiling-popcorn-cut-ii-lr.jpg  

Last edited by boman47k; 02-18-2012 at 06:52 PM.