ProVia Signet Fiberglass French Door Replacements

Old 06-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 2,936

ProVia Signet Fiberglass French Door Replacements

French doors.... you either love them or hate them. Well, for this poor homeowner, while his TWO French doors on the front of his house were quite charming, they were wood, old and in pretty rough shape. And of course, there was nothing "standard" about them when it came to sizing.

And, even though protected under an enclosed, screened porch, the porch wasn't conditioned of course and the doors leaked like a sieve, even WITH the added wood storms. Nothing sealed well and they had incredibly high heating and cooling bills.

I really do believe this was a case where the doors were built on site when the house was built. Both sets of doors were different widths and one set was almost an inch taller than the other set. Even the overall jamb depth was different on both doors. Not by much, but it was 1/8" deeper on one set.

But, as you've heard me say a 1000 times in threads, that's not a problem for ProVia. Their new doors fit perfectly and IMHO, look absolutely fantastic. Let's see what you guys think....

Original French doors outside.....

Inside....

RRP LEAD SAFE curtain wall contain....

Tweaking, tweaking and more tweaking to get them "just right" in the openings.....

Make certain the neighbors know your in the neighborhood.....

And then throw a party showing off the new doors - Interior view with factory stained 2-1/2" Cherry casing and custom oak extra large shoe mold made in our mill shop.....

And finally, the fit and finish of the exterior with the factory pre-bent cladding (dark bronze in this case) is both stunning and exquisite don't you think?.....

Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
As accomplishments go, getting me to talk is an easy one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CompleteW&D For This Useful Post:
CCCo. (06-06-2015), MDjim (06-04-2015), Tom Struble (06-04-2015)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Windows Doors Siding
Rewards Points: 732

Re: ProVia Signet Fiberglass French Door Replacements

What? No drama on this one?

Did you keep the old hinges? They look interesting.

Nice job as always!

Advertisement

http://www.gulfbreeze-windows.com
The Following User Says Thank You to TLHWindows For This Useful Post:
CompleteW&D (06-04-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLHWindows View Post
What? No drama on this one?

Did you keep the old hinges? They look interesting.

Nice job as always!
LOL.... no drama at all on this one. Went like a breeze. We even put the right door in the right opening!

Speaking of which.... I gave one of my leads a couple of measure sheets on a job with an entry door system and a "garage service door" and didn't think a thing about it. Got the measures back and ordered the doors.

The homeowners weren't home during the install. We had done a ton of work for them already (all new windows, a new roof and new siding) so they trusted us implicitly.

I went out on the install like I always do, pull in the driveway and the front door is finished. The cladding is even on, and I think.... wow, the guys are moving quick today, it must be going well. So, I walk around the side of the garage and I see nothing happening on the service door. The door was unlocked, so I went into the garage.

I was floored to see that they had removed the door between the kitchen and garage and were just cleaning up the rough framing and vacuuming the floor. I said "Gary.... it's the garage SERVICE door that you were to replace, pointing at the correct opening.

He said "John.... when I was here and did the measure, the Mrs. said that we were replacing THIS one." So, we reinstall that door real quick (fortunately we didn't nick it up or scratch it or anything) and as luck would have it.... the service door was the exact same size and swing as the kitchen door.

The Mr. got home shortly after we finished the kitchen door, as we were just getting started on the service door. As he walked into the garage and got to the kitchen door, he stopped, did a double take and I thought uh-oh.... He turned to me and said.... "you guys didn't need to caulk that brickmold for me. I was always going to do that, but just never did."

I said, "it was no problem at all. We just noticed that it was gapped pretty bad and the door not hanging quite plumb in the opening, so we removed the one side brickmold and casing, removed a couple of screws, shimmed it up a little better, cleaned it up and caulked everything back in for you. No worries at all, happy to do it."

I heard one of the guys choke/cough and I didn't DARE turn to look at him for fear of bursting out laughing. But that was sure one VERY happy homeowner when we got done.

As for the hinges and hardware, the homeowner kept everything.

Last edited by CompleteW&D; 06-04-2015 at 04:23 PM.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Windows Doors Siding
Rewards Points: 732

LOL. At least you were able to swap it before anyone got home AND earned some brownie points too!

http://www.gulfbreeze-windows.com
Old 06-04-2015, 04:59 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLHWindows View Post
LOL. At least you were able to swap it before anyone got home AND earned some brownie points too!
Yeah.... the homeowner was one of those you LOVE to work for. A little bit later, after he and I had inspected his front entry door system, he walked into the garage and handed the guys a couple of $20's and thanked them for "fixing up" his kitchen door. They tried not to take it, but he said.... " nonsense, it opens and closes so much better now and the trim (meaning the brickmold) looks so much better."

Honestly, I couldn't look at the guys for fear of totally losing it.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #6

Trade: window door siding contractor dealer
Rewards Points: 124

Very nice. We do the ProVia doors as well. Even use the same Makita impacts. Signets are hard for me to sell in my market price due to their price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Delaware Mike For This Useful Post:
CompleteW&D (06-05-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 06:05 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaware Mike View Post
Very nice. We do the ProVia doors as well. Even use the same Makita impacts. Signets are hard for me to sell in my market price due to their price.
Thanks Mike....

I set the expectations pretty high on what the price is going to be prior to ever going out to the house. With the door demo kit I use from ProVia, it is very easy to see why the Signet is generally higher than other doors. It's construction is just so much more robust. Honestly, they just LOOK better too.

Advertisement