Fir Post And Beam Entry

Old 10-14-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Damn Skippy

Trade: You can completely control your attitude...if you.
Rewards Points: 3,694

Fir Post And Beam Entry

Here's my first post and beam. I love the wood options that builder's have up here in the Pacific NW

Design Concepts

Before

Almost Complete

Work in progress pix here

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-14-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: general contractor/ remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via Yahoo to send_it_all

Re: Fir Post And Beam Entry

Another nice one. How are those posts that are against the house..attached to the house?

Old 10-14-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Trade: Design/Build Outdoor Living
Rewards Points: 2,068

Nice!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
Damn Skippy

The bottoms of all the posts are in Simpson post bases ABE ZMax for 6x6s epoxied in with 5/8" ready rod.

At the top where the beams are, I first cut out the ship lap on the gable of the house and installed solid wood framing on both sides for sub nailing. Then I replaced the ship lap with 3/4" PT plywood and re-papered it. Using 10" TimberLok® Heavy Duty Wood screws by Fasten Master and Simpson A35s I attached the post through the top into the sub nailing so you won't see the fasteners.

Back in Houston, I would have cut in physical beam pockets to slide the beams into, but up here they are very cognizant of potential water intrusion. Everything is done to minimize penetrations. As far as uplift, I will be installing Simpson black decorative T and L strapping. Also, it was decided to delete the front right post and go with the cantilevered look. I should be finished with it this week so I'll get more pix then.

The only real "challenge" was that the existing gable that we are tying into is 5/8" out of plumb over a 4' level. Imagine my surprise when I pre-build all of the components, get everything ready for erection and discover that I failed to do the most primary thing... VERIFY that what you are tying into IS what you assume it to be! I won't be missing that step ever again. I guess I have to get used to remodels being "a bit off" from the new framing I'm used to.

The HO and GC are pleased with how its turning out so its going in the win column.

Last edited by wallmaxx; 10-14-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
Damn Skippy

Now, I'm just a simple framing carpenter - now I am asked to wrap the bottom of the columns in synthetic stacked stone. The GC, who normally does this, is swamped. Let's see how this phase turns out.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,030

Nice looking entryway there, guy!

With those post boxes sized the way they are (6x6 wrapped with 1x?) it looks like your stonework will be all corner pieces. By adding the stone work, will you still have a comfortable sized walkspace between the posts at the top of the stairs?

Mac
Old 10-28-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Squirrel Handler
Rewards Points: 2,000

Nice work, I'm a big fan of a nice entry-way, it gives an otherwise ordinary house a great deal of curb appeal. There are just to many houses with treated lumber "deck" entrances. Was just talking about this with my girlfriend as we were looking at house, I'm going to show her these pictures as an example of a nice entry-way.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #8
Damn Skippy

Okay...I'm no mason.

Well.....maybe not yet. But since it needs doin'...here's what I've done so far.

Man....saw dust is sooooooooooo much better than this synthetic stone dust.

I need to work out the hand rail along the inside prior to stone. Suggestions are always considered.

My current GC / buddy is "expanding my horizons". Since working with him, I have poured concrete, shingled a small roof, installed laminate flooring,
patched sheetrock, painted, and now, installed synthetic stone. It gives me a solid appreciation for the skills required to be good at any one of these disciplines...so from this old framer to all y'all in the other trades...Merry Christmas and keep on building America into that shining city on the hill.

Mike

Last edited by wallmaxx; 12-27-2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:21 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 150

excellent work, and good choice on table saw