“Exposing Myself…”

Old 12-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor

“Exposing Myself…”

...For the constructive feedback and general contribution to the forum. What were you thinking?

Since I have not come up through the construction ranks as most of you have and I rarely sub out any portion of my remodels, I have to rely on common sense, what can be learned online and do my best to transfer words and pictures into a tangible product.

Having only been a CT member for a short time (long time lurker) I recognize the vast knowledge and experience base offered here. I can only benefit and learn from your suggestions and comments. I therefore submit to you my recent kitchen remodel completed just prior to Thanksgiving. I had intended to post this sooner but work has been good = busy!

This is a very small condo kitchen for a single occupant. She is retired and has dreamed of this for the past 8 years and has never done any remodeling in her lifetime. She was very specific about a few items that were important to her (ie. door style, cutting board, pull-outs, place to hang her aprons, cookbooks) but had difficulty deciding on the bigger impact items (granite, paint, backsplash, floor).

Our contract stated 4 weeks (I knew it would be done in 3 - under promise, over deliver). My goal was to make this as pleasant an experience for her as possible. That was accomplished and is important as this is a huge referral base in this condo complex 2 blocks from my home.

This is the before canvas of what I had to work with. I always try to get before pictures for the portfolio. Makes a bigger impact with potential customers when they see the transformation as opposed to just the finished product.
Attached Thumbnails
“Exposing myself…”-phillips-kitchen-b4-1.jpg   “Exposing myself…”-phillips-kitchen-b4-3.jpg   “Exposing myself…”-phillips-kitchen-b4-4.jpg   “Exposing myself…”-phillips-kitchen-b4-5.jpg   “Exposing myself…”-phillips-kitchen-b4-7.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
Gen. Contractor

Trade: Residential small commercial

Re: “Exposing Myself…”

Ok- ugly kitchen, where's the after pics?

Old 12-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: custom builder

Old 12-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
General Contractor

Day 1: Demo and Plumbing. Pretty simple as I only had to move the icemaker stub out over a couple of feet. She had everything out of the cabinets and ready for me upon arrival. Thank Goodness! I hate spending the first 2 hours of demo cleaning out cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails
“Exposing myself…”-phillips-kitchen-1.jpg   “Exposing myself…”-phillips-kitchen-5.jpg   “Exposing myself…”-phillips-kitchen-7.jpg   “Exposing myself…”-phillips-kitchen-8.jpg   “Exposing myself…”-phillips-kitchen-9.jpg  

Old 12-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
General Contractor

I knew you guys would be too quick for me. It takes me time to upload. sorry.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
Certified Flake

Trade: Low Voltage - Security - Communications 25 Years

'Can you find the hidden refrigerator in this picture?'

Hint: 'It's white'.

I meant the 1st pics with the magnets.

If I got too close to that thing the plate in my head
would be stuck to it for hours!

Last edited by Zewlander; 12-30-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
Gen. Contractor

Your stringing me along here- your worse than a prom date! Just put up the pictures!
donerightwyo (12-30-2012), Zewlander (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
Certified Flake

I really, really like what you've done with the place Agnes.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
Certified Flake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaframer View Post
Your stringing me along here- your worse than a prom date! Just put up the pictures!
Going to take a while to get days 1-30.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
General Contractor

Day 2: Electrical. Recessed can lights, gfci, add a couple of receptacles to accommodate code, undercab light prep, relocate ceiling fan (I could not talk her out of this and I hate ceiling fans in a kitchen).

Day 3: Wasted two hours trying to find out why one circuit had no ground. Crimp was not tight and ground came loose. Duh, my bad. Closed up drywall patches and taped.

Day 4: Sand and texture. As typical, it took twice as long to tape up everything compared to pulling the trigger. Short day.

Day 5: Prime walls, Redguard floor, paint ceiling and walls,
Attached Thumbnails
“Exposing myself…”-phillips-kitchen-11.jpg   “Exposing myself…”-phillips-kitchen-12.jpg   “Exposing myself…”-phillips-kitchen-14.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #11
General Contractor

Day 6,7: Tile floor and grout. Layout with “wood-look” tile was straight forward. I approached it the same as if installing hardwood/laminate. Staggered joints 4, 12, 8” instead of running bond for more natural wood floor feel. Not quite the same as wood flooring comes in random lengths and the end cut becomes the starter piece for the next course. Not with this tile. Overall, it does look like wood at first glance. I always tile the entire floor (especially if it is only $2.39/sf for the tile) then set cabinets on top. I feel it is faster then cutting under toe kick, dishwasher, stove and refrigerator. It also keeps the countertop height at 36” and allows me the opportunity to level the floor if necessary rather than extreme shimming each base cabinet.

Day 8: Cabinets arrived (6 week lead time) while I was tiling as planned (I don’t like having them sitting around as it risks damage and space was at a premium). I know I am going to get some ribbing for ordering Kraftmaid cabinets from the orange box store. It is what the customer saw (style and color) and fit her budget. Bonus was for my sister who works in kitchen design at the HD and I was able to help her meet a sales quota that month. I have built cabinets in the past and do enjoy the woodworking, but I find that without a production shop setup (working out of my garage) it is tough to make it profitable.

I have not used Kraftmaid for 5 years and I am very disappointed in the current quality. I see them taking short cuts. Their finish is still decent.

Day 9: Install the rest of the wall cabinets and finish most of the base cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails
“Exposing myself…”-phillips-kitchen-1.jpg   “Exposing myself…”-phillips-kitchen-6.jpg   “Exposing myself…”-phillips-kitchen-8.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
Certified Flake

I'm still trying to deal with the fact that I actually went
to a thread titled "Exposing Myself..."
The Following User Says Thank You to Zewlander For This Useful Post:
skcolo (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
Gen. Contractor

I can't take it anymore- put out or get out!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
Certified Flake

Looks pretty good so far, love the ceiling fan.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #15
General Contractor

Day 10: Finish installing the remaining base cabinets. Install subtop. Set sink. OK, so you probably have a question regarding the hole next to the sinkbase and the corner super susan. This was originally for the 15” trash/recycle bin. I knew when I ordered it that the dishwasher was only going to have ¾” to clear the casing, no room for filler. Due to unsquare walls ( I measured from the front, not the corner, my mistake) and shimming the corner out, I lost that ¾”. Would have ordered a 12” trash but they don’t make it - hence the term “semi-custom”. I threw the 15” on the other side of the refrigerator panel and the customer said that is where she always kept her trash and liked that there. I suggested a countertop for a small stool and breakfast bar and she loved it. I thought I was going to eat the cost of that cabinet but ended up doing a CO for more counterspace, backsplash, and splitting the cost of the 12” replacement cab. I measured to the 1/32” and was able be able to slide in the replacement cabinet no problem. But, I would not go out of my way to do that again just for the fun of it.

Day 11: Template reading for granite. Install window.

Day 12: Install crown and trim.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #16
General Contractor

Day 13: Install microhood and other small misc stuff like align doors, shelves, fan, fixture, etc.

Day 14: Granite installed.

Day 15, 16: Install backsplash tile.

Day 17: Install faucet, drain, disposer, reverse osmosis, dishwasher.

Day 18: Grout backsplash with Bostick Dimensions urethane. My second time using this and I love it. Will always upsell all future glass backsplashes to dimensions.

Day 19: Customer wants an estimate for both her bathrooms!

Day 20: Seal granite and floor grout, finish casing, toe kick, base. Haul away left over materials and trash.

Day 21: Punch list day, mostly touch up paint, hang blinds, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
“Exposing myself…”-phillips-kitchen-3.jpg   “Exposing myself…”-phillips-kitchen-4.jpg   “Exposing myself…”-phillips-kitchen-7.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #17
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zewlander View Post
I'm still trying to deal with the fact that I actually went
to a thread titled "Exposing Myself..."
I know. I had to cancel my attachment with a quickness when I realized what was really going on here..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ohiohomedoctor For This Useful Post:
Ninjaframer (12-30-2012), skcolo (12-30-2012), Zewlander (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #18
Gen. Contractor

Is it just me or is that backsplash hella 70's throw- back ugly?
Old 12-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #19
Holder of hands

Trade: Custom builder/remodeler

I'm still trying to figure out the magnets.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #20
General Contractor

ok I'll just do the pictures as it is too hard to recap and post fast enough.
Attached Thumbnails
“Exposing myself…”-phillips-kitchen-5.jpg   “Exposing myself…”-phillips-kitchen-15.jpg   “Exposing myself…”-phillips-kitchen-18.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to Doctor Handyman For This Useful Post:
Ninjaframer (12-30-2012)