Custom ProVia Signet Fiberglass Entry Door System With Custom Elliptical Transom....

Old 06-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 1,068

Custom ProVia Signet Fiberglass Entry Door System With Custom Elliptical Transom....

Every once in a while you run across a project that makes you proud you're in this business. That was the case on this entry door system.

As you can see from the before pictures that follow in this first post, we were challenged to say the least. I really do think the builder, framer, trim carpenter or whoever was responsible for ordering this entry door, ordered one that was too big.

These are true French doors and it "looked" like the doors had been shaved down at the T-Astrigal and then the whole thing shoe-horned into the brick opening.

Two companies wouldn't even quote the thing. Another, quoted it so high, I truly believe they really didn't want the job. For us, it really wasn't a problem since we only sell ProVia entry doors. They are a DREAM to work with. I can custom size anything I want, however I want it sized. An inch taller vertical build? - No problem. Skinny the width a half inch? - Consider it done.

Now, with ProVia's unquestioned quality and build flexibility you pay dearly for them, but I charge accordingly and folks that want the best.... don't mind paying the price. Nearly $12K in this instance.

Here's what we had to work with....

No exterior brickmold at all. What you see on the outside at the brick, is the actual door frame that looked like it had been rounded over with a router. Talk about tight.

Complete Window and Door

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Custom ProVia Signet Fiberglass Entry Door System With Custom Elliptical Transom....

It was a total bear to get that old door system out. But once there, we were able to set the new custom sized entry system right in place....

I'll bet the guys spent over an hour shimming, adjusting, re-adjusting and getting everything perfectly level and square.

Can you say SHIM CITY?

Custom Cherry elliptical transom

OMG.... don't drop that thing!

Whew.... got it.

Next up, fit and finish on the inside....

Complete Window and Door

Last edited by CompleteW&D; 06-07-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Pro

Re: Custom ProVia Signet Fiberglass Entry Door System With Custom Elliptical Transom....

One of the beautiful things about ProVia, is all of the hand rubbed stain and finish work they do. This particular door system had Cherry woodgrain fiberglass skins. So all wood showing on the interior is Cherry, including the casing (which comes with the door and is sized to our specified width). And all of that has a hand rubbed stain and finish that is truly beautiful to behold.

Finished entry door system on the interior....

The previous door had some flat oak plywood behind the radius which the customer wanted removed. Their painter is going to sand, scrim, prime and paint....

Of course, we had to re-cut the base and floor trim to match the new door system....

Their alarm guy came out a couple of days after we finished and said it was the nicest door and retro install he had ever seen....

Complete Window and Door

Last edited by CompleteW&D; 06-08-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Pro

Talk about a transformation, I've saved the best till last....

We actually ripped one-by Poplar to create a proper (although pretty darned skinny.... LOL) brickmold and of course wrapped everything on the outside in aluminum coil stock. The radius elliptical is only factory painted with no coil stock, but the transition and finished product is beautiful don't you think?

And finally.... I hope the neighbors notice.

Complete Window and Door

Last edited by CompleteW&D; 06-08-2012 at 04:56 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CompleteW&D For This Useful Post:
BamBamm5144 (06-08-2012), Jason Whipple (06-11-2012), Resta (06-07-2012), Tinstaafl (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 3,408

looking great as usual John
CompleteW&D (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,606

I gotta admit, that's a scrotum-shriveler. Good job.

Finished pics of the outside?
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
CompleteW&D (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
I gotta admit, that's a scrotum-shriveler. Good job.

Finished pics of the outside?
Ask and you shall receive....

Complete Window and Door
Old 06-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
looking great as usual John
Thank you very much Tom. I am EXTREMELY proud of this one. In fact, the customer has already asked me to quote all of their windows and deck. There are 32 total window openings in this house and it has a 420 sq. ft. multi-level deck. The structure of the deck is rock solid. But the flat boards are starting to show their age.

I think I've got him convinced to replace the flats with the TAMKO Envisions product. A little more expensive, but I love that stuff.

Complete Window and Door

Last edited by CompleteW&D; 06-07-2012 at 06:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CompleteW&D For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
Pro

One last one....

The lead jobsite foreman lending a hand err.... paw by barking out minor adjustments needed from the front porch stoop....

Complete Window and Door
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CompleteW&D For This Useful Post:
Tinstaafl (06-07-2012), Tom Struble (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
Pro

Damn.... scrolling through those pics, I'm continually amazed at just how talented our guys are with a caulk gun. I'm sitting here shaking my head.

Complete Window and Door
Old 06-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
Capra aegagrus

My request for outside pics came through after you had posted them. I'm having trouble with my internet, but no problem, Comcast says they'll be right out to fix it. Sometime Monday.

Sweet. Give the guys a bonus.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
My request for outside pics came through after you had posted them. I'm having trouble with my internet, but no problem, Comcast says they'll be right out to fix it. Sometime Monday.

Sweet. Give the guys a bonus.
Thanks.... I am gonna do something special for them on this one. Just haven't figured out what yet.

Complete Window and Door
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CompleteW&D For This Useful Post:
Tinstaafl (06-07-2012), Tom Struble (06-07-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteW&D View Post
Thanks.... I am gonna do something special for them on this one. Just haven't figured out what yet.
Well, I met the boys on another jobsite today. I brought a couple of pepperoni pizza's from Donato's, a cooler full of Gatorade and slipped a C-Note for each of them in a thank you card. I left it for them to find in their truck when they're all hot and sweaty and worn out at the end of their job today.

I haven't heard from them yet, so they must still be working. Probably cleaning up right about now.

Complete Window and Door
Old 06-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
Capra aegagrus

Holy crap! I'm coming to work for you.
CompleteW&D (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Holy crap! I'm coming to work for you.
LOL.... well these two guys have done a TON of really nice work for me lately. I'll soon have another picture grouping (I HOPE) of a fairly large project they knocked out in a single day. A LONG day.... from about 8:00 AM to right around 9:00 that night. They worked straight through and wouldn't even take a lunch break.

It was a scheduling nightmare with them and the HO who travels frequently. It was also a pretty large project (over $ 23K) and I wanted it done yesterday because obviously, I wanted to get paid. We targeted a Saturday that worked for everyone and they busted their tails.

So, they really did have it coming.

Complete Window and Door
Old 06-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #16
Capra aegagrus

Kidding aside, it does my heart good to see stories like that. Way too often in this business, even when the guys go above & beyond, they're lucky to even get an attaboy.

Attaboy.
CompleteW&D (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Kidding aside, it does my heart good to see stories like that. Way too often in this business, even when the guys go above & beyond, they're lucky to even get an attaboy.

Attaboy.
Thanks Tin.... when my partner and I set about planning how we were going to structure this company, we were both of the same mind in a lot of areas. Number one, we were going to be all about quality in all things we do. Not just pay it lip service and be "good enough."

Part of that is having the best installers we can find, paying them well, and expecting them to go above and beyond for our customers. They know that if they run into ANYTHING on an install that isn't outlined in the scope of the contract, but needs to be done to ensure a quality installation - they are to go ahead and do it and not have to worry about being nickle and dimed to death come payday. I'm not talking about "extras" a HO might want.... but something that needs to be done for the install to be as good as it can possibly be.

I think they appreciate that approach and I've never once had any issues come payday because they are totally honest with me on any extras and know I'm going to take care of them. It forges a great level of trust between us as a GC and our subs.

I can't tell you how many times at other companies.... there were outright shouting matches between the salesman, installers and a company manager over what amounted to nickles and dimes. It fostered distrust everywhere and an "us against them" mentality that I wanted NO part of in this company.

In the end, a saying I hear my partner say all the time (which I've readily adopted as well) really sums up what we are about.... "Because it's the RIGHT thing to do." It may sound corny, but he's a firm believer in it. It's worked out pretty well for us so far. Being a fairly young company and all of the great reviews we've gotten, has been very gratifying.

Complete Window and Door

Last edited by CompleteW&D; 06-08-2012 at 06:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CompleteW&D For This Useful Post:
Tinstaafl (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,466

Well, looks like I need to find new employees to put in doors.

That is pretty awesome. I would've been one of those guys who said no, we can't help you on this one.

Great job! Use that one for some marketing!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BamBamm5144 For This Useful Post:
CompleteW&D (06-08-2012), Tom Struble (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamm5144 View Post
Well, looks like I need to find new employees to put in doors.

That is pretty awesome. I would've been one of those guys who said no, we can't help you on this one.

Great job! Use that one for some marketing!
Thanks Bam.... I sent these and several more to my ProVia rep and I got an email from him today that they had been circulated around the entire company. From the president of the company right down to the production floor.

The service you get from ProVia is second to none. The inside CS rep who did a Yoeman's job working through the technical stuff on this one with me, called me several times checking to see how everything went with the install.

Complete Window and Door
Old 06-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #20
Preserving the Past

Trade: Restoration & Historic Preservation
Rewards Points: 2,032
Send a message via Skype™ to Jason Whipple

Great looking work!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Whipple For This Useful Post:
CompleteW&D (06-11-2012)