Am I Doing This Right? - Roofing Picture Post - Contractor Talk
View Poll Results: Shouldn't the edges of new decking over open sheath roofing be secured to rafters?
Yes, it's code 0 0%
No,Doesn't matter 5 62.50%
Yes, there will be definite problems later 1 12.50%
No, I've never had a "popping" edges 2 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Am I Doing This Right?

Old 01-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #1

Trade: Roofer/GC
Rewards Points: 6

Am I Doing This Right?

QUESTION:
Is it over kill the way I'm doing it? Isn't it code code? Am I the only guy still doing it this way?

Hello,

I just finished a tear off, re-deck on an older home. The bottom layer was cedar so it had the 1" planks with gaps in between them(Open Roof Sheathing). So, I was re-decking with 1/2" plywood over the 1 byes as we are supposed to, nailing into rafters and especially making sure the edges of plywood were being centered on rafters also. This was the way I was taught and although sometimes, a pain in the ass, because of special cuts and rafters not always being square, I always do it and walk away from a job knowing those plywood edges are securely fastened and won't pop or raise. Giving the roof vertical ridges and possible shingle failure later on.

During the job a roofing contractor pulled up and needed directions. Directions were given and small talk was made. The conversation turned to my job and I mentioned it was a little tedious. The new decking wasn't lining up so good and extra cutting had to be done so plywood would land where they were supposed to, on the center of existing rafter. He laughed saying, "dude, don't waste your time, nail them where fall and get off this bitch."

"What? Just into the 1" planking?" I asked. "F*@k Yeah," he replied. I then asked him if he was ever worried about the plywood edges "popping" or getting "raised" edges? His response was, "I'm long gone by the time that happens," and laughs again.

I asked him if was concerned about building inspectors coming by and he didn't seem to care, "They don't know what the hell is going on up there," was his reply.

THE QUESTION AGAIN:

Am I the only guy doing this still? Is it over kill the way I'm doing it?Isn't it code code everywhere? The NRCA manual states this is the way it's supposed to be done(305-306) and the IRC code book indicates the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Am I Doing This Right?-2-2_plywoodoverskipsheathing.jpg   Am I Doing This Right?-panel-buckling-figure-03.jpg  
Attached Images

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling-cabinet maker
Rewards Points: 707

Re: Am I Doing This Right?

i don't know about code, but why couldn't you screw the edges to the planks? i don't see how that could pop up. it would be a lot quicker than trying to get the plywood to hit the rafters.
Nicko

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2015, 11:55 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 16

Well, I wouldn't have run it vertical if I was worried about it breaking on rafters, but with the 1x below I'm not sure it matters. I would think nailing to the 1x would be sufficient.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:17 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe4444 View Post
"F*@k Yeah," he replied. I then asked him if he was ever worried about the plywood edges "popping" or getting "raised" edges? His response was, "I'm long gone by the time that happens," and laughs again.

That pretty much sums up that guy.

You do it how you feel comfortable. It's your name on the job, not anyone else's.

For what it's worth, I don't think its a great idea, but if you screwed the ends it would hold better. I can see nails popping. The curling like the pictures is most likely a result of inadequate ventilation.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Roofing, eaves
Rewards Points: 132

I redeck around 20 houses a year, over old 3/4 or 1" boards. Never bothered ensuring they end on rafters, have taken off 20 year old roofs done the same and if nailed well the joints are fine.
On the ends we shoot our nails at an angle, coming from both directions. Helps clamp it down. We also renail the old boards first, to make a reasonable flat plane.
If i was really worried, I would screw the ends.

Those pictures with the ripples look like newer homes, not old houses with plywood over board.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PatChap For This Useful Post:
Mr Latone (01-24-2015), slowsol (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 03:40 PM   #6
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,474

Lot's of these roofs in my neighborhood and most guys simply make sure the skip sheath is nailed down tight prior to sheathing with plywood or osb.

The sheathing is then nailed to the battens only and infill as required at the long seam.Ring shanks are used.

And yes, I would sheath it perpendicular to the rafters.

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
Old 01-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

Wondered why you are running the sheeting vertically?Never done that before and wondered why you would?Saving material because of joints?Because of the skip sheeting?
Old 01-22-2015, 05:27 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Exteriors as a whole
Rewards Points: 530

I've used screws to attach the plywood into the slats. Never had a call back
Old 01-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #9
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 590

I just run them and nail with ring shank nails. I don't believe anyone that says they screw them off, that's about the most retarded thing I've heard in a long time.

The only things I do is make sure the planking is nailed down first, and make sure my new sheathing doesn't hit a gap in the planking.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jlsconstruction For This Useful Post:
BamBamm5144 (01-22-2015), Californiadecks (01-22-2015), dprimc (01-24-2015), LeeFowler (01-29-2015), slowsol (01-22-2015), Tom M (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 05:58 PM   #10
#MAGA

Trade: Builder/Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsconstruction View Post
I just run them and nail with ring shank nails. I don't believe anyone that says they screw them off, that's about the most retarded thing I've heard in a long time.

The only things I do is make sure the planking is nailed down first, and make sure my new sheathing doesn't hit a gap in the planking.
I don't know about that. I guess someone could use a collated screw gun if they wanted. Personally, I'm with you on the ring shanks.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:38 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Exteriors as a whole
Rewards Points: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsconstruction View Post

I've done it both ways. I guess I'm retarded, but then again, I guess I probably out earned you also
Old 01-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #12
Brownchickenbrowncow

Trade: General Building
Rewards Points: 1,376

Where are you guys seeing where he said he was running parallel sheets to rafters? Just said he didnt want vertical ridges(edges buckling) like in pictures?
Old 01-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #13
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 110

This might be the day the roofing section gets more interesting than the decking section.

Of course you guys are talking about decking so it might not count.
The Following User Says Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
BamBamm5144 (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 07:44 PM   #14
stacker of sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
I guess I probably out earned you also

Old 01-22-2015, 07:56 PM   #15
Renaissance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementbldrs View Post
Where are you guys seeing where he said he was running parallel sheets to rafters? Just said he didnt want vertical ridges(edges buckling) like in pictures?
That first pics appears to show parallel sheathing to my old eyes....no?

Old 01-22-2015, 08:03 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: general
Rewards Points: 278

Sheeting over 1x spaced a few inches apart would not buckle like the sheeting I. Photos 2 & 3. It would be supported to well. The biggest problem causing the buckling shown in photos 2 & 3 is not improper fastening but improper spacing ofvthe sheets. Plywood and OSB are meant to be spaced to allow expansion. When they can't expand , they buckle.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:06 PM   #17
Renaissance Man

Not to fly off topic, but while we're talking ring shanks...anybody ever have to rip sheathing when ring shanks are used?

Having been there done that, it always a pleasure seeing how the oldtimers just used commons with no problems and you were so grateful they did when it all had to come off.

I often look ahead to what the future contractors are going to face with the abundance of glues and adhesives, ring shanks and all those cap nails not to mention sticky tapes and ice and water. Chit the list goes on...

It sure is gonna be a bitch demoing future replacement work in the course of our daily activities

Old 01-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #18
stacker of sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseal View Post
Not to fly off topic, but while we're talking ring shanks...anybody ever have to rip sheathing when ring shanks are used?

Having been there done that, it always a pleasure seeing how the oldtimers just used commons with no problems and you were so grateful they did when it all had to come off.

I often look ahead to what the future contractors are going to face with the abundance of glues and adhesives, ring shanks and all those cap nails not to mention sticky tapes and ice and water. Chit the list goes on...

It sure is gonna be a bitch demoing future replacement work in the course of our daily activities

You'll be retired by then.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:10 PM   #19
Brownchickenbrowncow

Trade: General Building
Rewards Points: 1,376

Bad enough removing shingle staples.... Especially on one leg is loose.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:22 PM   #20
stacker of sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementbldrs View Post
Bad enough removing shingle staples.... Especially on one leg is loose.

Staples were never popular here thank god. Tear off is easy though. But these work good for pulling the staples Am I Doing This Right?-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1421979734.554285.jpg

Advertisement