Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Wall I built in Lake St.Louis, MO

5K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  moorewarner 
#1 ·
I built the wall right in front of the boulders instead of messing with ripping those out.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Your top course of stones, for some inexplicable reason, is different than the rest of the wall and has the block breaks not falling at the mid-point of the stones below (i.e. not off-set correctly), why???

How did you construct the base and the wall? What steps, generally did you do?

{The initial appearance, not counting the top course, looks ok.}

Scratch the above. Looking more closely at the lines of the courses in comparison to the lines of the brick detail on the house, it looks like your wall is pretty significantly slopped.

what do you have to say about this?

#5 · (Edited)
One rainfall, especially the first, means nothing, erosion takes time.

How did you handle backfilling? What about the question of levelness of the wall on the step down part?

Also the down-spout that out-lets at where the wall and house corner meet should be carried away from the building at least a short bit, it looks like grade is mostly on your side.

And also that looks to be about a 4" block which would put your minus flush to ground level. It would be better/correct to dig 6-8" and have your first course set partially below ground level.

#12 ·
Not sure why you guys are jumping to conclusions about landslides. Looks like a well built segmental retaining wall to me. Assuming proper base (which he stated) and drainage behind the wall.

Have you not seen these types of walls around?
So far it's guy singular. I have mostly been asking questions. More than I usually would simply because he just did a pricing thread on these walls so I wondered if he might be new to it. Me personally, I don't consider questions a problem and I like hearing others ways and details. I like giving the details of how I do stuff, the more detail I give the more detailed the feedback.

Yeah, just did one last week.

http://www.contractortalk.com/f23/small-block-wall-job-100257/

Thanks natural1 I am not sure why people are trying to find any little thing they can say negitive about the wall
That's usually how it goes around here. Folks critique your work and it gets better, till there is nothing left to critique and then they give you a bunch of "great jobs". It's a good thing.

You should just give it a listen and see if you think it has merit; even an terse landslide comment, why not have him defend his comment? You will either learn how to do it better or learn you were right.

Nature of the beast, Zach.

If you post pictures here, expect to be criticized - both good and bad. Takes a thick skin to be in this business, let alone showcase your work in front of hundreds of other contractors.
This is the truth. Good on you for posting it, please don't stop. And don't shy away from describing/explaining/defending your work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.