Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Just Completed Pergola...

8K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Tom R 
#1 ·
Check out the pergola I just finished today. Teetor, that white stuff is called SNOW.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Tom R said:
Beatiful workmanship, - - as I figured it would be, - - the only thing I question is why wasn't it about 2 or 3" higher so as not to encroach on the window symmetry??
Here is another picture that is sort of self-explanatory. I went as high as I could without hitting the soffit...

Also, this was a job that I got called to do after the pool installers had installed the 6x6 posts. After the landscaper/pool guy saw the plans he said "we can't do something that elaborate, I just thought you wanted some simple rafters for a pergola"

Attachments

#5 ·
Terry, love the detail on the posts with the molding and the arches.

Hey - You have got to start selling these guys on upgrading to clear lumber though. The materials are detracting from your workmanship!!!!!! If that was in clear redwood it would be simply out of this world combined with the craft you put into it and the attention to detail.

Great job, I like it a lot.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks guys!

I know what you mean Mike. The thing is, around here clear redwood is pretty hard to get and a lot more expensive. Also, these clients just forked out a lot of money for the landscaping and the pool. Pretty much the entire backyard is either interlock, shed, pool or garden - no grass whatsoever. There's even a stone waterfall into the pool. I'll be going back in the spring when everything is completed to get the backdrop into the photos. The pool guys started months ago and still aren't done.

Funny story, when we were there (me and my cousin) on Thursday to finish the majority of our 2 1/2 day job (we'd have been done in a day and a half if it were summer) the foreman comes up to me to ask when we take lunch because he has to make a concrete cut and doesn't want to be in our way. So, when I replied "we don't take lunch" he looked at me like I was from another planet - LOL! This time of year we're only getting about 8-9 good hours of daylight for this kind of job so we're not going to waste time to stop and eat. It's no wonder these guys still aren't done, in the words of Bob, true "maggots". They'd be fired maggots if they were on my crew.

#10 ·
Looks great. I have yet to have someone wants one here. Not a huge market for them. As far as not taking lunch... food gives you energy to work faster, better, less mistakes. On my old crew I could tell when we needed to stop to eat people mess up more, cant remember what they were told to do, things like that. I stop to eat 2-3 times a day when I feel I am starting to slow down or make mistakes but only for as long as it takes to eat 5-10 mins.

#12 ·
Glasshousebltr said:
I really don't get hungry while working, it's kinda odd, but thats the deal.
That's the way it usually is for me to Bob, I drink plenty of water, gatorade, diet coke during the hot weather. I have a big meal at night. I know that goes against most theories when it comes to diet but it works for me. This season I was able to lose over 30 lbs. and almost 4 in. off my waist. My Christmas wish list has a lot of clothes on it!

Glasshousebltr said:
Nice work Decks.

Bob
Thanks Bob.

#16 ·
George Z said:
Very nice Terry!
It's cold out there. Hopefully that was your last one
before Christmas.
Thanks George!

It did get kind of chilly the last day - so much so that I'm going to have to go back in the spring to fill the screw holes with the plugs. It was just too cold to glue, plug and sand them down at this time.

And, yes, pretty sure it's my last outdoor job of the year. Actually, this customer wants me to come back after Christmas to paint the interior of his house.

#17 ·
Tom R said:
Personally, - - I (we) take a lunch break every day, - - not really as much a matter of being hungry as to get a 'mental break', - - even 20 minutes or so seems to give me a little time to re-group and start up with a fresh perspective.
I didn't mean to imply that it worked like a dog the whole time I'm on a job. My mental breaks occur when I'm having a smoke and/or planning out the next steps on a job. I do take lunch breaks some days, not every day, but some days. During the 14 hour days in the middle of the summer, lunch/dinner is usually around 2 or 3 in the afternoon to get a break from the hottest point in the day. However, at this time of year when there is only about 8-9 good hours of daylight, well lunch just isn't a priority. I can eat when it's dark - I can't build a pergola safely in the dark. :biggrin:

#19 ·
RobertCDF said:
Looks great. I have yet to have someone wants one here. Not a huge market for them.
You might be suprised Robert, they are a great upsell to a deck project for the right customer and I have done a few as stand alones. Here is one I did as part of a hardscape for a customer a while ago...

I take a lunch for sure. I'm of the mentality that fresh horses win races.

#20 ·
Mike Finley said:
You might be suprised Robert, they are a great upsell to a deck project for the right customer and I have done a few as stand alones. Here is one I did as part of a hardscape for a customer a while ago...
Nice work Mike. I agree with the stain idea if the customer is interested. I did an arbor in the spring that was stained white. My customer for that pergola doesn't even want clear or tinted stain. He wants the look of it aged naturally. Different strokes...

Personally, I prefer the look of BM's clear stain. That's what's going on my deck next spring. And hey, guess what - I finally finished my own deck last week! It only took my a year and a half - LOL. The piers were poured in May of '04, it was framed in June '05 and the access doors, stair skirting and last 2 sections of railing just got finished last week. Talk about the "shoemaker's kids not having any shoes!"

Mike Finlay said:
I take a lunch for sure. I'm of the mentality that fresh horses win races.
Lunch just isn't a huge priority for me, neither is breakfast. It boils down to personal choice. I find eating during the day makes me lethargic. To each is own.

#21 ·
DecksEtc said:
Talk about the "shoemaker's kids not having any shoes!"
Several years back, - - my accountant was commenting about how everyone on his street was fixing up their houses, - - except for the one house at the very end, - - front storm door falling off, shingles missing, bad need of a paint job, etc. - - my wife says "oh, a carpenter must live there"!! :cheesygri

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.