T-bone A Mail Truck - What To Do

Old 06-04-2007, 04:49 AM   #1

Trade: Landscaping
Rewards Points: 10

T-bone A Mail Truck - What To Do

A little over a year ago my son won the Junior Achievement award ($5,000) abd spent the money quickly. He also lost his license going too fast. Soon he will get it back.

I drove him to school and on the way back a USPS truck looked to be pulling into a neighborhood after pulling into the right turn lane. Suddenly the truck turned left directly into my path. So, I had t-boned a mail truck.

Nobody was hurt physically. However, the Postal employee had a truck to drive before the police officer finished writing the USPS driver her many tickets. It was all her fault. I was happy at that moment.

Now, almost two months later my son still has no truck to have me drive. He essentially had to close down his landscape business.

Does anyone know anyway to force the Post Office to be fair? They are self-insured. But my son and I have no funds to rent a truck especially since the Postal Service refuses to tell me if they will pick up the rental tab.

Dad

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #2
Fentoozler

Trade: Professional Pie and Pastry Taster
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: T-bone A Mail Truck - What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnets View Post
Now, almost two months later my son still has no truck to have me drive. He essentially had to close down his landscape business.

Does anyone know anyway to force the Post Office to be fair? They are self-insured. But my son and I have no funds to rent a truck especially since the Postal Service refuses to tell me if they will pick up the rental tab.

Dad
NO ONE is going to "offer" ANYTHING in this situation. It will all come through the USPS legal dept.

I would suggest you contact YOUR insurance company and see what their advice is.
I would also consider getting seperate legal reprensentation for the civil portion ie, lost wages.

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
Deck Cleaner

Trade: Deck Cleaning, Staining, Restoration
Rewards Points: 500

Get a lawyer and sue their insurance. Start complainng about that pain in your neck. Lawyers will take it on a contingency. It won't cost you a dime.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:58 PM   #4
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
Get a lawyer and sue their insurance. Start complaining about that pain in your neck. Lawyers will take it on a contingency. It won't cost you a dime.

They will follow you around day and night trying to get some pictures of you working or playing golf. I was followed for weeks and ended up collecting 2k, they must of paid the investigator more money to follow me.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:26 PM   #5
Deck Cleaner

Trade: Deck Cleaning, Staining, Restoration
Rewards Points: 500

Doug, on a car crash or a workman's comp claim? From what I read, Dad and son aren't working much these days anyway. May as well get their injuries rehabbed.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:37 PM   #6
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
Doug, on a car crash or a workman's comp claim? From what I read, Dad and son aren't working much these days anyway. May as well get their injuries rehabbed.
I might be reading into it a little but;

1. The son is not able to drive to work because he lost his license.

2. They failed to contact their insurance provider to check on getting a rental until they get a settlement.

3. They claimed in their post that they were not hurt.

4. They let their business fail by not having the means to operate it for the last two months.

5. When the Postal service failed to respond they failed to contact an attorney.

6. They are seeking legal advise on a contractors forum.

7. I just re-read the post, it appears that the kid is in school and the father does not have a surplus of money.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 4,254

This is a perfect example of why No-Fault insurance is so good
Old 06-04-2007, 07:47 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000

try contacting your US Representative...see if they are worth your vote and do the right thing......never know
Old 10-14-2007, 11:12 PM   #9
Retired Contractor

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 538

Do you know, Regardless of Fault...YOU ARE REQUIRED to report all accidents to YOUR insurance carrier. If you did not do this you have opened the door for them to cancel your insurance immediately. Be that as it may, You were Still Covered at the time of the accident.

If you can not negotiate with the USPS insurance company, Hire a lawyer. You said the USPS driver was issued numerous tickets. If thats the case, you already have proof of fault. Depending on what you are really lookinf or, you could also go to small claims court. Especially if you get tired of dealing with Insurance Adjusters or Clains Reps. At that pointyou will begin dealing with an Attorney who really dosnt want to go to small claims court.

My only hesitation here is that it was a FEDERAL USPS truck with mail in it. From what I understand, it does not need to follow anyones regulations because it is a federal vehicle...Not State nor town or county. It is the ONLY vehicle that can legally run a stop sign, red light etc. I think that might be your biggest problem if you try to get into thsi too much.

As far as injuries. DONT FAKE ANYTHING espically at this late date. You better be a master because insurance companies will send you to their doctors and try to see just how much you are faking.

If all you want is to have your truck replaced, then demand that from the insurance company. If they dont pay up, bringit right to court or small claims court.

FYI: I have sued Home Depot, a Manufacturing Company in China and a Doctor. When I say I, I mean, I did it all myself. I did not hire a lawyer and I got what I was looking for. Fair Compensation. If you are looking for Big Bucks, get a lawyer. If you are looking for the value of your truck, do it yourself.

And as an example, Home Depots insurance company was offering me $700. for my claim. I took them to small claims for the maximum amount allowable in NYS and settled for the original amount of my request $3,000! So don't stop at the offer the insurance company makes, just because they pressuer you. Remember if you sue someone in Small Claims THEY MUST show up or settle prior to the court date, otherwise you win by default!

Advertisement