Old 06-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: GENERAL CONSTRUCTION
Rewards Points: 98

Kids Lemonade Stand At U.S. Open Fined $500 And Shut Down By Montgomery County

http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/15...Stand-500-Fine

Kids Lemonade Stand At U.S. Open Fined $500 And Shut Down By Montgomery County

6:14 PM, Jun 16, 2011 | comments

BETHESDA, Md. (WUSA) -- You can make a fortune selling parking spots outside the US Open, but don't even dream of setting up a lemonade stand.

A county inspector ordered the Marriott and Augustine kids to shut down the stand they set up on Persimmon Tree Rd., right next to Congressional. And after they allegedly ignored a couple of warnings, the inspector fined their parents $500.

"This gentleman from the county is now telling us because we don't have a vendors license, the kids won't be allowed to sell their lemonade," Carrie Marriott told us, her voice trembling.

The kids can't seem to understand it. "I don't agree, I think the county is wrong." "We're sending the money to charity."

Jennifer Hughes, the director of permitting for the county, says it's technically illegal to run even the smallest lemonade stand in the county, but inspectors usually don't go looking for them. She said this one was unusually large. Hughes also says they've warned all kinds of other vendors they couldn't operate near the US Open because of concerns about traffic and safety.

But that did little to console Carrie Marriott. "Does every kid who sells lemonade now have to register with the county?" she asked the inspector.

"Cute little kids making five or ten dollars is a little bit different than making hundreds. You've got coolers and coolers here," the inspector responded.

"To raise money for pediatric cancer," Marriott replied.

What's funny is that the county has given scores of other neighbors permits to let golf fans park on their front lawns. The permits cost almost $300, but prices per car run as much as $60 a day. And some neighbors are reportedly raking in tens of thousands of dollars.

"I'm a little upset with the rip off that's going on," said Ron Simpson, who was getting ready to pay $50. One cop says a neighbor told him he'd made enough charging for parking at big golf events at Congressional that it had paid one of his kid's college tuition.

Carrie Marriott is having a hard time reconciling the two different perspectives on entrepreneurship at the US Open. "The message to kids is, there's no American dream."

Written by Bruce Leshan
9News Now & wusa9.com

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.
Rewards Points: 12

Re: Kids Lemonade Stand At U.S. Open Fined $500 And Shut Down By Montgomery County

Well, at least they are getting used to it early in life so it won't be such a shock when they try to go into business.

Too bad we can't roll back the clock a few decades on a lot of things like this.

Advertisement

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
74craig (06-22-2011), dakzaag (06-18-2011), greg24k (06-22-2011), Joasis (06-17-2011), jvcstone (06-18-2011), kswoodbutcher (06-20-2011), nEighter (06-18-2011), pinwheel (06-22-2011), rselectric1 (06-17-2011), thomasjmarino (06-17-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling / Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,980

Re: Kids Lemonade Stand At U.S. Open Fined $500 And Shut Down By Montgomery County

Bill Marriott Chairman of the hotel name lives on the golf course. I met him at his house one time. He employs thousands of people in the county. This may be one of his grandchildren ? That would be her great grandfather who started in a root beer stand in 1927 in Wash, DC.The rest is history.

I think and hope they'll be one day permits on the cheap by the end of today.....

I'm from Montgomery County, Md. Its amazing to see what was run out of a shoe box in the '70's in another office now occupies a four story building ! Back then and before some significant stores in the county started with a $35 huckster license on a main thoroughfare !

Dreaming in Montgomery County, Md .......what's that ?

Last edited by We Fix Houses; 06-17-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,196

I would wipe my butt with the fine and then hand deliver it to his house.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodchuck2 For This Useful Post:
nEighter (06-18-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Civil Construction, Excavation, Concrete + Forming
Rewards Points: 504

What do you do when the health inspector gives you lemons??

Guess it's a cost of doing business then. Should've paid the $300 for a permit and saved a couple of hundred bucks.

Suppose the inspector could've been bought with a coupla cups of lemonade???
Old 06-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
Thomas J Marino, Inc

Trade: Custom Home Builder/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Same old story.
Gotta pay to play.
As long as somebody is getting greased, everything gonna be all right!!
Old 06-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Rewards Points: 2,000

Blame Roosevelt!

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MALCO.New.York For This Useful Post:
greg24k (06-22-2011), JustaFramer (06-21-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Yeah, i would say that is the old attitude that everyone can do anything. Should of paid for the permit. It is the parents fault, if they were warned a few times. Here is a hint: STOP
jkfox624 (06-21-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
Head Grunt

Problem is if they paid the $300 then they would be false advertising that all proceeds go to charity. So then they have to sell enough lemonade just to cover a permit and then they could donate to charity. You would think that even if that had paid the fee would the Town have donated the $300 back to charity, but we know better than that. If i were those kids i would take down address's and turn in all the home owners to the IRS.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: GENERAL CONSTRUCTION
Rewards Points: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck2 View Post
Problem is if they paid the $300 then they would be false advertising that all proceeds go to charity. So then they have to sell enough lemonade just to cover a permit and then they could donate to charity. You would think that even if that had paid the fee would the Town have donated the $300 back to charity, but we know better than that. If i were those kids i would take down address's and turn in all the home owners to the IRS.
You know by rights they should get a reward for as much as those parkinglots were makeing...
Old 06-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #11
Smart phone? Scan me!

Trade: Painting/Framing/Drywall
Rewards Points: 1,008

Does the icecream man need a permit? I think this was dumb. Could be the last nail in the coffin for that city folk who did this (re-election bid)
Old 06-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck2 View Post
Ah, that's proceeds, not revenue. Revenue-costs=proceeds

Revenue - 1,000 cups at $1.00= $1,000.00

costs =
permit - $300.00
child labour - you get out there because you have a roof over your head
management fee for mom (day at the salon) - $250.00
overhead - signs, table, cups, lemonade - $300.00

Proceeds - $150.00
Old 06-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman
Rewards Points: 6,486

A 12 year old girl had a patented invention and it was stolen by some company CEO/sociopath, the principle being "if someone is making money, I want that money and I will take it."
What he did was illegal but the girl's family did not have the resources to uphold her patent rights in court.

Here, they seem to have found a legal way to take other's money.

They don't seem to have a sense of shame or decency.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #14
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Woodworker Extraordinaire
Rewards Points: 11,313

This kind of stuff will just kill the innovativeness in our younger people. We need the younger generation to be willing to take a chance at something and succeed or fail at it. Otherwise you will squash the willingness to take a chance to do something great.

I feel this is a great disservice to the next generation and it will make them believe that the only way to make money is to work for someone else. And while I feel this is exactly what gov wants it will hinder the value of the next generation.

I mean what kind of a message are you sending to a small child when you take a lemonade stand away from them and fine their parents. The message is we don't want you to try to get out there and better yourself, we will do that for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 06-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #15
Project Manager

Trade: Project Manager
Rewards Points: 2,016

So these two "power families" can't afford $300 for their kids lemonade stand? Serves them right.

Though the link that the OP posted shows an update that the inspector waived the fine and the stand is now open 100 feet away from it's original location.

So I guess the message here to all the youngsters is don't follow the rules and when someone attempts to enforce them, play the pity/sympathy card and get the media involved until someone backs down.

If you want to teach kids on how to have initiative and succeed, part of that is doing research and following rules - whether one likes it or not.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CookeCarpentry For This Useful Post:
greg24k (06-22-2011), jkfox624 (06-21-2011), loneframer (06-21-2011), skyhook (06-21-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #16
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Rewards Points: 12,202

So, if I start bidding jobs on a "not for profit" basis, (not hard to do by any means) drop my insurance, HIC registration and forego the permit process, all I have to do is send my kids out to do the job and I'll get admiration for taking a chance?

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Old 06-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #17
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Woodworker Extraordinaire
Rewards Points: 11,313

These rules are for established businesses. I don't consider and underaged child a business. I am sure that if those children made any kind of descent money the parents would take most of it and put it into a bank account for them for future use. Or at least I would hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 06-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #18
Project Manager

Trade: Project Manager
Rewards Points: 2,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
So, if I start bidding jobs on a "not for profit" basis, (not hard to do by any means) drop my insurance, HIC registration and forego the permit process, all I have to do is send my kids out to do the job and I'll get admiration for taking a chance?
And media coverage, and discussions on forums like this, which means you will have more not-for-profit work than you can handle....
Old 06-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeCarpentry View Post
So these two "power families" can't afford $300 for their kids lemonade stand? Serves them right.

Though the link that the OP posted shows an update that the inspector waived the fine and the stand is now open 100 feet away from it's original location.

So I guess the message here to all the youngsters is don't follow the rules and when someone attempts to enforce them, play the pity/sympathy card and get the media involved until someone backs down.

If you want to teach kids on how to have initiative and succeed, part of that is doing research and following rules - whether one likes it or not.
So the lessons these kids learn is that if things don't go your way, kick and scream until you do get your way. Nice.

Hey, my angle, if in the same position would be risk it without the permit, and if called to pay or shut down, I'd ante up. It's a by-law, and right or wrong, you gotta go by it.

Do we want to live in an organized, civil society or Vancouver???

Anyways, the tourney is done and go Rory go! What a performance!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #20
Head Grunt

I think some of you guys are missing the point. The kids were taking the time and effort to do something for "charity", not for their own benefit. In this day and age where all kids are spouting self entitlement i do not believe we should be penalizing kids for trying to hold a charity event. Sure all the HO's paid for their permits, how many of them donated their money for a good cause? I doubt any of them did. So i ask again, if the kids had paid the $300 for a permit do you think the Town would have donated it back for the charity the kids were sponsoring? Again, probably not.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to woodchuck2 For This Useful Post:
74craig (06-22-2011)