Cold Weather And Split Fingers

Old 12-25-2008, 07:55 AM   #1
nail bender

Trade: Carpentry,interior millwork
Rewards Points: 75

Cold Weather And Split Fingers

every winter im plagued with split fingers and found a way to help them heal and thought id share,i filled the splits with crazy glue and presto,a week later almost completely healed

i appologize if this is common knowledge but thought id share any how because im pretty happy about it,nothing worse than bumping one of these injurys in the cold,and they are very hard to heal

take care,and have a safe and happy hollidays

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-25-2008, 09:05 AM   #2
Fentoozler

Trade: Professional Pie and Pastry Taster
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Cold Weather And Split Fingers

When our daughter was born 6 years ago [by C-section], the doctor glued the Mrs. closed.
I asked him about this "glue".
He knew I was in building trades and told me:
The product I used is the exact same product as "super glue" - marketed and with different approvals, keep a tube in your tool box "just in case".

It may be common knowledge - may be not

Now more guys know

The UD is quite possibly man kinds finest accomplishment.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
Jack of All

Trade: Remodels
Rewards Points: 25

Actually the stuff they use in the medical field is called "Dermabond" and quite frankly, cheap super glue is MUCH better. Dermabond takes forever to set up and it remains sticky for awhile and once it does set up it lacks the protection that cheap super glue has. I keep several tubes of the cheap stuff around - works great for gluing your finger nails back down LOL
Doug
Old 12-25-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: GC

Is the glue hard to get off so you can inspect the wounds, or does it just wear off over time?
I have the same problem with splits, especially after working with concrete and I've had my hands in it some. I'll try this glue trick.

I had to chuckle at this thread, hardcore contractors, it's Christmas morning and we're talking about how to glue our hands back together.
Good tip though, thanks.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Fentoozler

Trade: Professional Pie and Pastry Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodger View Post
Is the glue hard to get off so you can inspect the wounds, or does it just wear off over time?
I have the same problem with splits, especially after working with concrete and I've had my hands in it some. I'll try this glue trick.
Just let it wear off.
Using a remover [acetone] is probably NOT a good idea on a still open wound.

As an added bonus for the fingers...it masks your fingerprints

Quote:
I had to chuckle at this thread, hardcore contractors, it's Christmas morning and we're talking about how to glue our hands back together.
Good tip though, thanks.
I needed a break from Wii "Sing It" ~ Too much kiddie pop.

The UD is quite possibly man kinds finest accomplishment.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
nail bender

Trade: Carpentry,interior millwork
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:

Good tip though, thanks.

lol,,,,im a big guy and far from a "girly man",,,lol,,,,,but will be the first to admit that when i jamb one of those splits grabbing for something it reduces me to a little school girl for a couple minutes,,,,lol

to answer your question,both splits are still glazed over with the glue,i made sure they were cleaned very well prior to gluing,but can still see that they are healing,and healing pretty fast

the great thing about the glue is it keeps the split from further tearing giving it time to heal (my opinion/observation anyway)

good luck