CCW Anyone? - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

CCW Anyone?

Old 02-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #1

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 75

CCW Anyone?

One of my customers owns a couple of pharmacies and last week they were robed at gun point. That sealed the deal for me application for conceal cary out in the mail for me. Bought a compact 1911 .45 and I plan to cary on my person every day. I work at night a lot lately over night by my self in and out of a commercial establishment you just never know.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 01:57 AM   #2
The Flooring Guy

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 250

Re: CCW Anyone?

Must be nice, I live in Illinois where you can't carry concealed or non-concealed.

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 05:23 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Student

I have a ccw, but don't actively carry. I tend never to work after dark and to spend very little time in questionable areas.

Mostly got it because I like to shoot at friends houses/ranges and the laws are a little funny on carrying guns in your car..this way don't have to worry about some cop having a bad day, or just anti gun, confiscating my property.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 1,690

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork-guy View Post
Must be nice, I live in Illinois where you can't carry concealed or non-concealed.

I am sure that law stops the bad guys from packing as well
Old 02-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Trade work for money.
Rewards Points: 512

I know the one time I don't carry... I'll be kicking myself. I'm the only one in my family who does carry. I liked how Oregon is an open carry state.. every veterans, 4th of july, etc.. holiday, i'd openly carry. It may be small, but kind of my way of saying thanks..

I remember while standing in line at the store one day, a lady asked me if I was an officer. I simply stated I wasn't, and she went off on me! Asking if I was going to rob the store, her, the bank. Telling me I was going to go on a shooting spree, her kids were unsafe, yadda yadda.
When I could finely get a word in I simply pointed at the man in a veterans hat, in his 70's. Stated that that man and his friends had fought for my right to carry this gun, and how dare she try and take that from them. Asked if she ever enlisted, and when she said no, I turned to the old man shook his hand and thanked him. She huffed and gaffed at me, then EVERY single other person in the 2 lines thanked the man, along with others in line!!

Sorry about the novel, just something that's vividly still in my memory bank, 5yrs later.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: House Painting
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnottyWoodwork View Post
I know the one time I don't carry... I'll be kicking myself. I'm the only one in my family who does carry. I liked how Oregon is an open carry state.. every veterans, 4th of july, etc.. holiday, i'd openly carry. It may be small, but kind of my way of saying thanks..

I remember while standing in line at the store one day, a lady asked me if I was an officer. I simply stated I wasn't, and she went off on me! Asking if I was going to rob the store, her, the bank. Telling me I was going to go on a shooting spree, her kids were unsafe, yadda yadda.
When I could finely get a word in I simply pointed at the man in a veterans hat, in his 70's. Stated that that man and his friends had fought for my right to carry this gun, and how dare she try and take that from them. Asked if she ever enlisted, and when she said no, I turned to the old man shook his hand and thanked him. She huffed and gaffed at me, then EVERY single other person in the 2 lines thanked the man, along with others in line!!

Sorry about the novel, just something that's vividly still in my memory bank, 5yrs later.
Thank you for exercising your God given rights on a daily basis and standing up to the statist's who work 24/7 to convince us that BIG G can save us all! +1776
Old 02-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Unfortunately Wisconsin hasn't legalized concealed carry yet. If they do I'll definitely be carrying. I guess it's the old, I rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it thing.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:55 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: A/V, Renovation

Buddy of mine carries a full size 1911. (he's a big guy though)
They're beautiful and timeless weapons.
100 this year in fact.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 10,774

I put in my application just this past Monday. I should receive it by the end of the month.

A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.
blackbear (02-07-2011)
Old 02-06-2011, 09:01 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,486

So you want to carry? Fine, just make sure you use it wisely. There are people would pull out a gun over something relatively petty (who would have a permit). Guys, how often have you ever actually needed a gun? Anybody else here have a gun pulled on them? I did, it was over a basketball game. It would not have been a good thing if I was carrying as well. Why actively carry?

As for the pharmacist, they are in a high risk setting. They should have security guards, as should banks, and any other business that has a lot of cash or drugs. But, Joe blow doesn't need to be carrying a gun while grocery shopping. Odds are, well be alright.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #11
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashheatingand View Post
So you want to carry? Fine, just make sure you use it wisely. There are people would pull out a gun over something relatively petty (who would have a permit). Guys, how often have you ever actually needed a gun? Anybody else here have a gun pulled on them? I did, it was over a basketball game. It would not have been a good thing if I was carrying as well. Why actively carry?

As for the pharmacist, they are in a high risk setting. They should have security guards, as should banks, and any other business that has a lot of cash or drugs. But, Joe blow doesn't need to be carrying a gun while grocery shopping. Odds are, well be alright.
I used to think that way.

Until I got shot at.

I wasn't carrying on my person at the time, but I did have the 9 within reach. I put a 15-rd clip in, chambered a round, then called 911.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #12
Pro

If you don't mind me asking, what happened?
Old 02-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #13
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, what happened?

If you want a long read:

My biggest hobby is astronomy. 4 years ago, I was set up at my closest observing site, a country cemetery. I know, sounds goulish, but it's easy to get to, is well off the main road, is far enough from the city to get away from most of the light pollution, is flat and has very few trees.

I went out to set up just around sunset. As I got set up and the sun started to set, it started to cloud up. Once it got dark, the wind picked up so I decided to hold out for a half hour and see if it cleared off.

After 20 minutes, it looked like I was out of luck, so I started to pack up. I heard a vehicle out on the main road because it had a loud stereo blaring along with no muffler. I thought it turned into a nearby driveway until I noticed the headlights coming down the entrance. He drove in, then as soon as his headlights hit me turning the corner, he stopped.

A minute later, he drove up and rolled his window down.

"Nice evening, isn't it?" he asked.

"Yea, but it's too cloudy for me," I responded.

"Well, see you in a couple minutes," he said, driving off.

'See you in a couple minutes?' I thought WTF? What's he gonna do, go get some of his buddies and come back and rob me? Since I had everything packed up except for the scope and tripod, I decided to beat feet out of there. Iowa has a Duty To Retreat law, BTW.

I heard his truck pull out onto the main road, then turn into a nearby driveway... one that is for a house that is directly between me and the main road. I hear the truck shut off, the door open and close, and I hear him yell, "Hey, you !*#&$&, get your (#*@* a55 out here! I got something for you!" Ooh great, he's gonna go home and beat his old lady. I'm still packing up.

Then I hear 4 shots. I think , 'Damn, he's gonna shoot his old lady!' Then I hear those 4 rounds go over my head.

Two more shots, two more fly overhead.

Since he was between me and the main road, I prepared to fight if necessary. I decided that if he fired again, I would announce to him that I'm armed and prepared to defend myself. If he continued to fire after that, I was willing to fire back.

Now, if he came home and found a burglar, I can excuse him for protecting his property. But for all I know, he was shooting at an opposum in a tree and I just happened to be downrange. He was just some ásshole who had no right to fire a gun without knowing where the bullets might end up.

THIRTY MINUTES LATER, the SO shows up, meeting me at a nearby intersection. He asked my why I wasn't back at the cemetery. Well, DUH!.... Some buttwipe is shooting at me! You think I'm just gonna sit around twiddling my thumbs waiting for you guys to show up? In 30 minutes, I would have bled out.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Trade work for money.
Rewards Points: 512

Just takes 1 time to go from, I'll probably be safe. To I'm not letting that happen again....
Old 02-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #15
Pro

Ok, that is a weird incident. but, I think your story helps the anti gun side. Let's just say you did fire back and hit the guy, your life would be in a whole world of hurt. The fact that you got out of there a.s.a.p. and there was the best outcome.

Hey, I am not saying that there aren't any situations where a gun is necessary. But, as a whole, imho, we are better off, not carrying.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #16
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
Ok, that is a weird incident. but, I think your story helps the anti gun side. Let's just say you did fire back and hit the guy, your life would be in a whole world of hurt. The fact that you got out of there a.s.a.p. and there was the best outcome.

Hey, I am not saying that there aren't any situations where a gun is necessary. But, as a whole, imho, we are better off, not carrying.

I wasn't gonna just fire back in hopes of scaring him. I was prepared to defend myself if he continued to fire. BIG difference there, and this so-called 'anti-gun movement' just can't bring themselves to wrap their heads around it. I'm fully aware of the legal consequences of my actions should I have discharged even one round intentionally into the ground. This other bozo, on the other hand, appears to be ignorant of them.

If the anti-gun movement wants to showcase my decisions and my actions, well, then, by all means..... have at it.

I can see it now: "Ken was shot at for no reason. Now, he is a law-abiding citizen and had a permit for the gun in his possesion. He did not fire it. He took a reasonable course of action to prevent injury to himself in a situation what easily could have ended his life. Instead of engaging his aggressor, he sensibly retreated. Ergo, let's take away everyone's right to own a gun!"
Old 02-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #17
Pro

Thing is there would be a lengthy legal process of determining whether or not the shooting was justified. Then, there is the What if, you missed the intended target and hit an innocent bystander part of it. In the long run, it was better that you got out a.s.a.p.

I had a guy pull a gun on me over a pick-up game of b-ball. The details are a little wordy. But, if I had a gun, and discharged, the best case scenario, I hit the guy, get exonerated and God forgives me. Worse case: We all can imagine how bad things could have went.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:

Old 02-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

The thing about "odds" is that you are exactly correct. The problem comes to play when the possible repercussions on the bad end of the odds are catastophic.

Why do you have health/auto/homeowners insurance? The odds are...

Just a little food for thought.

Also, you may want to do a little checking into the numbers, where licensed carriers are involved in any kind of crime/accident/etc...
Old 02-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #20
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
...... In the long run, it was better that you got out a.s.a.p......
Which is exactly what I did. Now, how does this 'help the anti-gun' group again?

Quote:
......I had a guy pull a gun on me over a pick-up game of b-ball. The details are a little wordy. But, if I had a gun, and discharged, the best case scenario, I hit the guy, get exonerated and God forgives me. Worse case: We all can imagine how bad things could have went.
Without the details you are withholding, there's no way to respond.

Advertisement