Quick And Dirty Faux Woodwork

Old 05-09-2017, 08:53 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 66

Quick And Dirty Faux Woodwork

A couple of weeks ago, I had the opportunity to help my In-Laws In the House they are renovating. They are going to be moving in to live permanently and have been re-doing the house over the past 6 months. The Woodwork had previously been painted and they were hoping to get it to match the New Cabinets.

I was going to be close for a funeral, so I volunteered. Problem is I only had 1 Saturday to do all of the work as I needed to return to California on Sunday.

The other Problem is I rarely get in the field anymore (I do maybe 3-4 big projects a year - LDS Temples with a limited Shutdown) Most of my time is spent Doing Project Management and Operations for the company I work for.

Anyway, Figured I would share here for Critique. Please don't be too harsh, considering the limits I was forced into. I also apologize for the Potato Quality Photos. My Phone is not the greatest. Last apology is for the obligatory fat guy in the photo!

Quick and Dirty Faux Woodwork-2017-04-29-17.12.48.jpg

Quick and Dirty Faux Woodwork-2017-04-29-17.13.57.jpg

Quick and Dirty Faux Woodwork-2017-04-30-11.46.58.jpg

Quick and Dirty Faux Woodwork-2017-04-30-17.48.26.jpg

Quick and Dirty Faux Woodwork-20170429_171236.jpg

Quick and Dirty Faux Woodwork-20170430_120129.jpg

Quick and Dirty Faux Woodwork-20170430_174858.jpg

Materials, Kilz Primer, SW Pro Industrial Eggshell, SW-Faux Impressions WaterBased Glaze, PolyCrylic Topcoat.

It's not super durable, but holds up to the abuse my in-laws will put it through. Glaze is probably still wet under the Clear Coat!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kentdalimp For This Useful Post:
rrk (05-09-2017), ScipioAfricanus (05-10-2017), SmallTownGuy (05-09-2017), Xtrememtnbiker (05-09-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 94

Re: Quick And Dirty Faux Woodwork

I think it looks great
After doing a recent small faux painting project I can fully appreciate what you did there.

I also used SW products with so so results. What percentage glaze did you add to the paint ? I used Impressions glaze and Emerald paint and it dried way too fast, I was told to use no more than 50/50 mix.

Advertisement

Last edited by rrk; 05-09-2017 at 09:15 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
kentdalimp (05-11-2017), Woodmeister (09-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
New Guy

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 66

Re: Quick And Dirty Faux Woodwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
I also used SW products with so so results. What percentage glaze did you add to the paint ? I used Impressions glaze and Emerald paint and it dried way too fast, I was told to use no more than 50/50 mix.
Yeah, The Faux Impressions Waterbased Dries REALLY Fast. I was somewhere between 15-20% paint to glaze here. I have seen guys use latex extender with some luck, but keep a spray bottle of water handy and work fast. (It was a Dartk color Paint so I didn't need much)

If I had to do more than a small wall or area at a time, I would use an Oil Glaze. You can do it with the SW Waterbased, but you might die from exhaustion trying to stay ahead of it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kentdalimp For This Useful Post:
rrk (05-10-2017), Woodmeister (09-10-2017)