Weight/volume Of Stucco

Old 03-29-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,000

Weight/volume Of Stucco

I've got a customer who wants the stucco removed from her house and then resided with wood. Anyone have a number per 100 sq. ft. for the weight and volume of stucco. Anyone done this? What kind of time does it take? Any other tips? Tks, Rich.
From where does knowledge come? If you need to know what is in a box, you could ask someone (not reliable), you could pray, (not useful), you can consult with the scripture (not helpful) or you could open the box (science)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #2

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Weight/volume Of Stucco

I've done a few stucco tearouts. I don't have the math down on the weight. The hardest thing is busting or cutting it into manageable size pieces. I have run across different densities, but the pain the butt part is the wire.

You could probably do the calcualtion based on concrete weight and factor a little less. On tearouts I worked on the stucco was from 3/4" to about 1 1/4" thick. 1"x12"x12" will give you the volume. Find the weight for a given volume and do the math.

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #3

If I did the math correctly, it should be 12.5 lbs per square foot for concrete. Stucco is probably a little less. 1100-1200lbs per 100 s.f is my guess.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
Pro

Thanks for that, can you cut it into chunks while still on the wall, then get it to the dumpster? seems that would be easier than dealing with the wire/stucco in a heap on the ground. Problem I've had with cutting stucco to install windows or something is the diamond blade cuts the stucco great, but wears out real fast on the wire. Is there a better tool/device for cutting this crap?
From where does knowledge come? If you need to know what is in a box, you could ask someone (not reliable), you could pray, (not useful), you can consult with the scripture (not helpful) or you could open the box (science)
Old 05-12-2007, 08:24 AM   #5
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

I've done several. Cutting the wire is the issue. Cut it on the wall with a diamond blade, pull it off the wall with your hammer claw. You will spend as much time cleaning up the debris (sand/mortar) left on the ground as you will doing the tear off.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #6
Pro

Tks Thom, you've got me really looking forward to this. Oh, well, it's not like I'll actually do more of it than show the guys anyhow.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:55 PM   #7

Keep a pair of wire cutters around or what I like is a pair of tin snips for cutting the wire. I have used both a hammer and a diamond blade for cutting out manageable sections. Anyway you look at it, it's messy.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:06 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,232

Don't fight the lathing, use it. Break off enough stucco at the top to get a good grip on the wire, and then peel it off in toto.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:57 AM   #9

Trade: General Contractor, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 16

This is just a test
Old 12-12-2016, 11:30 PM   #10

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 14

Make sure you wear an appropriate mask. Breathing cement causes IRREVERSABLE DAMAGE to your lungs. You won't ever get it out, and you will die a premature death. I learned this the hard way.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:31 PM   #11

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by reveivl View Post
Tks Thom, you've got me really looking forward to this. Oh, well, it's not like I'll actually do more of it than show the guys anyhow.
Common sense says to open the box, not science.

Advertisement