Water Leaks, Foundation At Ground Level - Remodeling - Contractor Talk

Water Leaks, Foundation At Ground Level

Old 03-06-2018, 08:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Water Leaks, Foundation At Ground Level

I live in the Phoenix area and have been increasingly coming across this problem. At some point, someone encloses a carport to turn it into a garage. However, there isn't the standard 6" between the ground and top of the foundation, so water will leak into their garage. Usually there is maybe 1/2" between the ground and top of foundation, sometimes it's actually below ground level and sometimes there are concrete walkways adjacent to them at the same level (that are not redirecting the water properly). They definitely don't want to spend the money to re-pour a foundation, and digging the ground lower usually isn't an option because it would be on their neighbor's property.

If posts or bottom plate really need replacing we will jack up the house and replace them. At that time we try to run a moisture barrier underneath the wood and wrap it up a few inches in the interior as well as the exterior. Then we silicone it at the foundation. We also hold the drywall up a few inches and use cement board siding as a baseboard. We also recommend gutters and French drains.

If replacing boards is not an option, we do the best we can to weatherproof with an adhesive flashing and top it with an elastomeric product or use silicone.

The nature of the structure requires our siding (typically cement boards) to come in contact with the ground (or adjacent sidewalk) which I know isn't recommended but anything else would expose the studs underneath.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to improve this process?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 46

Re: Water Leaks, Foundation At Ground Level

You can spend the money to do it correctly, or you can scab a temporary "solution" to the problem

If the customer cant afford 24' of proper foundation, they probably shouldn't be remodeling

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2018, 09:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Trout View Post
You can spend the money to do it correctly, or you can scab a temporary "solution" to the problem

If the customer cant afford 24' of proper foundation, they probably shouldn't be remodeling
Well there's a lot of people that would rather scab than tear down a 350 sq ft structure. Just want to do the best I can for those guys.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:07 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 46

it doesn't need to be torn down to be done correctly
Old 03-06-2018, 09:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Trout View Post
it doesn't need to be torn down to be done correctly
Yeah, unfortunately it's still way out of their budget. Even this is pushing their budget. If we don't scab it for them, they are just going to get someone else that will. And from the scabs I've seen tried on these homes, they aren't going to be doing a better job and will potentially be making things worse.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #6

Trade: Carpenter

See that situation around my parts fairly regular. HO's enclose carports or back patio slabs and wonder why waters coming in around the plates.
Theres no solution that they will like hearing.
I just priced one out for a young couple just beforw the holidays. They calles me out to replace some sill,stud , and sheathing rot. What i found was that not only was the back addition slab below grade, no footings and a false wall sitting on dirt to hide an old retaining wall (actually , now the bearing wall) from when it was a patio slab. My price was to temp support roof, demo walls as needed, cut the slab back and pour new footings, block or concrete up to 8" above grade and reframe walls. Trying to keep as much as we can as to keep cost down. Told him i cant do any type of half assed repair and leave with no footings
Poor couple just bought this place a month earlier. Its in limbo now as lawyers are involved.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling 30+ yrs
Rewards Points: 2,398

You could install Concrete blocks fill the insides with concrete and wire and reinstall sillplate But you will still have to address drainage around the perimeter.

Advertisement