Walk In Shower Ideas

Old 02-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #1

Trade: Framing, remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 25

Walk In Shower Ideas

I'm in the process of remodeling 3 bathrooms right now and was wondering if anyone had a good walk in shower idea in one of them. I started gutting the bathroom out today and will finish tomorrow, then I'm going to wire and plumb tomorrow also (hopefully). The HO's just left for the week on vacation and told me yesterday they had been talking about eliminating the glass shower door we had figured on their master shower. I'll finish the shower next week after they return and we decide on a shower detail. Anyway, the dimensions that I have to work with are 60" wide after durarock and 57" deep. If you were looking at the opening the toilet would be against the wall on the left and a pocket door on the right with the cab and sink behind you. I'm just having trouble coming up with a layout for wall and valve placements so they don't need a shower door with minimal splash on the bath floor. I've got my hands full with employees at the other house I'm working on and finishing details of the first bathroom for this HO. Let me know what you think.....

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Starving Tile Artist

Trade: Carpentry, Flooring & (UGLY) Tile installs.
Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to wizendwizard

Re: Walk In Shower Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNWStructures View Post
I'm in the process of remodeling 3 bathrooms right now and was wondering if anyone had a good walk in shower idea in one of them. I started gutting the bathroom out today and will finish tomorrow, then I'm going to wire and plumb tomorrow also (hopefully). The HO's just left for the week on vacation and told me yesterday they had been talking about eliminating the glass shower door we had figured on their master shower. I'll finish the shower next week after they return and we decide on a shower detail. Anyway, the dimensions that I have to work with are 60" wide after durarock and 57" deep. If you were looking at the opening the toilet would be against the wall on the left and a pocket door on the right with the cab and sink behind you. I'm just having trouble coming up with a layout for wall and valve placements so they don't need a shower door with minimal splash on the bath floor. I've got my hands full with employees at the other house I'm working on and finishing details of the first bathroom for this HO. Let me know what you think.....
Can you post a hand drawn diagram. Your dimentions are a bit vague.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #3

Here's a quick sketch. I thought about extending 2x6 wall and putting valve in it to make a walk around but I don't think it would be very comfortable walking in and around.
Attached Thumbnails
Walk In Shower Ideas-shower.jpg  

Last edited by PacNWStructures; 02-05-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:48 PM   #4
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNWStructures View Post
Here's a quick sketch. I thought about extending 2x6 wall and putting valve in it to make a walk around but I don't think it would be very comfortable walking in and around.
Sounds right to me.
3' + wall 2'-10" opening
sounds comfy and splash
resistant as well.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #5
Young Gun

Trade: Smartass
Rewards Points: 250

you could leave the toliet side wide open and have the rain shower heads in the roof then the water only goes down- no door/curtain.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:58 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: home builder carpenter Central Alabama

extending the wall sounds good to me too

Last edited by dlcj; 02-05-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallisseyDesign View Post
you could leave the toliet side wide open and have the rain shower heads in the roof then the water only goes down- no door/curtain.
Those things are great in commercials.
If that's all you have though,
it's like the 5 gal bucket with nail holes
at Boy Scout camp.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:29 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: custom home building
Rewards Points: 2,312

I like Hallissey's idea of an overhead showerhead and limited wallspace. How does an overhead showerhead perform? I've never had one. I assume that it would be as powerful as a side mount pointing down.

If you don't like Hallissey's idea, then bring the walls in from both sides, leaving a door opening in the middle. The door opening can be fairly narrow. Mount two showerheads on these walls pointing away from the door opening.

This shower is plenty big. Put benches on either side and some grab bars.

Another alternative-put a japanese soaking tub on one side and a shower on the other side of this opening. The tubs are not very large, but deep. You sit down in them and they are heated up extremely warm. I mean gonad dangerously hot, and they have some recirculating heater pump on them. Don't worry too much about separating them, the shower can spray in the bath. You are supposed to be clean when you get into the soaking tub, because everyone is using it after each other, so they are usually located in the same room as a shower.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:34 AM   #9

I like the idea of framing another wall on the right and leaving a narrow opening in the middle with a couple of . The shower itself is plenty big, I always like at least six feet so my wall is around 42" for splash. I can talk to them about a rainhead too, but I think they have already ordered a wall mount showerhead. The soaking tub is another great idea, I'll look into that. I doubt they are going to want it but it would be great to know for other jobs.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:58 AM   #10
Young Gun

Trade: Smartass
Rewards Points: 250

How bout on the side closest to the toilet you frame a down say a foot then put the shower head on that then the water is being sprayed to the back for the shower or build returns on each side of the shower opening say 6 inches and put a shower head on either side of the opening.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #11

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 10

I have always wanted a walk-in shower and had asked my sister-in-law why she didn't have one put in her new custom home. She said that she considered it until a friend who has one told her about the constant flow of cold air coming into the shower without a door in place.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Baths, basements, carpentry, int.remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

Are any of the walls exterior??
Old 02-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

I'd extend the 2X6 wall to make an opening to ADA (36") + and place a wall mount on that wall so that the shower sprays towards the opposite wall or at least 18" from the end wall. An overhead could be used there as well, place it at about the same distance (18" +) from the end wall.

Lighting: Extend the exsisting wall with glass block and/or install can lights in the ceiling. Maybe with a dimmer for late night shower fun.

I'm in the middle of a similar reno now with a little less space to play with. You really need to judge where the spray is going after it hits the body. This one is also a roll-in (ADA).

Albert Einstein
Old 02-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #14

None of the walls are exterior. I ended up extending the 2x6 wall and left a 28" opening for the door. Then I centered the valve and showerhead on the 2x6 wall so it would spray to the back of the shower. Put a niche on the side wall (left wall in picture, on your right if you are in shower facing 2x6 wall. The HO's came back from their vacation and were very pleased. Also put a can light centered in ceiling. I'll post pics when I'm done (waiting for tile to come in.)
Old 02-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #15
Univ. of Hard Knocks

Trade: Renovations & Remodeling

I love the challenge involved w/ reconstructing showers, (mainly w/ tile or stone upgrades) and I think the niche will make all the difference. If I was the HO, I wouldn't want the draft either. Although, Military school didn't have any doors
Old 05-14-2010, 04:18 AM   #16
Sponge

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 150

How about a run in shower for those on the go!
Old 05-14-2010, 06:24 AM   #17
bathroom guru

Trade: Bathroom Design Build Contractor
Rewards Points: 560

Something like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Walk In Shower Ideas-dscn3026.jpg  
Old 06-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #18
All about accessibility!

Trade: Aging-In-Place, Disability products

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Handyman View Post
I have always wanted a walk-in shower and had asked my sister-in-law why she didn't have one put in her new custom home. She said that she considered it until a friend who has one told her about the constant flow of cold air coming into the shower without a door in place.
There should be ways to solve the draft problem; like a heat lamp over the shower, a heat fan in the bathroom or a weighted shower curtain to keep the heat and the water in place while not blocking the entry and exit.

And I agree with Teetorbilt on the wider door. If you are creating a walk-in shower, may as well make it fully accessible for anyone - with or without a roll-in shower chair.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Electrical & Carpentry

This thread is 2 & 1/2 yrs old !!
Old 06-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #20
All about accessibility!

Trade: Aging-In-Place, Disability products

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
This thread is 2 & 1/2 yrs old !!
Yes it is. I didn't re-open it, but it looks like there are still interesting things to discuss!

Has anyone else been doing roll-in showers?