U-Shaped Kitchen Layout Ideas

Old 03-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: property manager & renovator
Rewards Points: 500

U-Shaped Kitchen Layout Ideas

Gentlemen,

So I'm looking at a kitchen remodel and would appreciate help on one particular issue - layout.

Typical u-shaped kitchen with the sink under the window. The sink is the only thing that can't be moved. Other than that, clean slate. Kitchen area's about 12' (east wall to pillar) x 14' (north wall to south wall).

The thing I get stuck on is the fridge. I hate the way this big appliance creates hidden space behind it. That is, if you stick the fridge at the south end of the counters on either the north or south walls, then it encloses that section of the room behind it, creates a blind area.

But the east wall seems unsuitable for a fridge, and destroys the triangle. Corners are terrible.

Are there any greatnew layout ideas for this traditional kitchen that solves the "big fat sight-line blocker" problem?

Thanks.

UPDATE: Added a second sketch. First one was a gif and some people couldn't see it. New one's a jpg - crossin' my fingers.

Last edited by bob_cntrctr; 03-04-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter Extraordinaire
Rewards Points: 1,746

Re: U-Shaped Kitchen Layout Ideas

Can't you post a plan or sketch or something?
A word description just doesn't cut it.

Andy.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScipioAfricanus View Post
Can't you post a plan or sketch or something?
A word description just doesn't cut it.

Andy.
I posted a sketch. I see it when I visit this page. Do others not?
Old 03-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 676

Nothing shows up.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
Construction Connoissuer

Trade: Construction Remodeling - Renovations Repairs
Rewards Points: 1,088

Nothing here either, just your "text"

Want to contact us? - Email ~ james@crowcontractingco.com - Or Call ~ 765.279.8271
Old 03-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,036

Just so you don't feel crazy, it is there on my screen.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kent Whitten For This Useful Post:
bob_cntrctr (03-04-2012), Tech Dawg (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,321

Here it is...

U

'It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.'-Thomas Sowell
Old 03-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Eater of sins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentWhitten View Post
Just so you don't feel crazy, it is there on my screen.
I tried FF IE and Chrome and can see nothing.

Maybe you can re-post it Kent?

Andy.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,390

I see the problem. Bob, you uploaded the images to your profile photo album here on CT and linked to them in your post. However, the album is marked Private.

Mods have access, but no one else does.

I just changed the status. Everyone should be able to see the images now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
TimelessQuality (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 2,748
Send a message via MSN to KennMacMoragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_cntrctr View Post
The thing I get stuck on is the fridge. I hate the way this big appliance creates hidden space behind it. That is, if you stick the fridge at the south end of the counters on either the north or south walls, then it encloses that section of the room behind it, creates a blind area.
I don't follow, can you explain? How is the refrigerator creating a hidden space? It belongs on either the north or south wall.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
I see the problem. Bob, you uploaded the images to your profile photo album here on CT and linked to them in your post. However, the album is marked Private.

Mods have access, but no one else does.

I just changed the status. Everyone should be able to see the images now.
Thanks muchly.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennMacMoragh View Post
I don't follow, can you explain? How is the refrigerator creating a hidden space? It belongs on either the north or south wall.
Yes, that would be my first thought too and the standard layout.

But - by "hidden space", I mean, imagine you're sitting in the dining room looking into the kitchen - the fridge blocks the view into the kitchen along the wall it's on. It's this big monolith sticking out from the wall, making the room seem smaller by blocking the sight-line along the counters.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Wood n' concrete finishes
Rewards Points: 150

I'd build a wall next to the door on the north side next to the door and tuck the fridge into that. Dishwasher to right of the sink, stove on the south side, thin rolling island in the middle, (mobile cutting board!) The fridge, if you put it on the south end will just make that post impossible to get around. Depending on aesthetics and these folks, I might try to add a bar between the post and the S. end counter top, but that may not be correct...haveta see it. Which way does the door swing?

Hey, speaking of, how do you charge for layout advice? I spend a lot of time drawing floor plans for jobs, 1. because I like doing it, and 2. because H.O. doesn't know how and I want to get the work done....and I ahem, never charge them. But it's getting ridiculous, if I screw up my measurements, and the cabinets don't fit, guess who gets to pay for it? Haven't done that yet. Yet.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
Eater of sins.

Here, maybe start with this. Print it out and show some measurements, then scan it and post.

Andy.
Attached Thumbnails
U-Shaped Kitchen Layout Ideas-kitchen-layout.jpg  
greg24k (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Brown View Post
I'd build a wall next to the door on the north side next to the door and tuck the fridge into that.
I've used fridge panels before for just that purpose in other units. it hides the fridge, but still creates this big wall-like surface that blocks sight-lines to the counter.

Quote:
Which way does the door swing?
There's no door. Just a doorway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Brown View Post
Hey, speaking of, how do you charge for layout advice? I spend a lot of time drawing floor plans for jobs, 1. because I like doing it, and 2. because H.O. doesn't know how and I want to get the work done....and I ahem, never charge them. But it's getting ridiculous, if I screw up my measurements, and the cabinets don't fit, guess who gets to pay for it? Haven't done that yet. Yet.
Well, I have the great luxury of sort of being the client. I manage a host of rental units in mostly older buildings. There's almost always one or another unit getting this reno or that. This is one of those units, and the design is just part of my job.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 6,422

bob_cntrctr,

The first thing is as you can see from the re-draw below, your drawing is way off scale...

There is really not enough info to help you here with a layout...

If you could provide the following measurements...

1. Width and Depth of Frig (make and model would be best)
2. Distance from East Wall to Door to family Room
3. Distance from South Wall to Pillar
4. Sink base size
5. Window Size
6. Distance from South Wall to right of Window
7. Distance from North Wall to left of Window
8. Size of Pillar (circumference)

Without this info, the obvious design choice to me would be the north wall in a Refrigerator Cab (better to look at the side of a cab, than the side of a frig or behind it). The reason is when you walk into a room, your eyes track to the farthest distance. If you place the Frig on the South wall, you now have two vertical dimensions to visually absorb when you walk into the room and considering the window location, which will not be moved, you would also be cutting off the natural light into the room. Coming into the room from the Door to the Family Room your eyes will track to the light coming from the window, which is closer to the south wall, thereby bringing the light across the room and de-emphasizing the Frig Cab and the Pillar as you walk in.

More info the better to be able to help you...
Attached Thumbnails
U-Shaped Kitchen Layout Ideas-kitchen-layout-bob_contractor-3-4-12-gif.gif  
Old 03-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScipioAfricanus View Post
Here, maybe start with this. Print it out and show some measurements, then scan it and post.

Andy.
Wow - you've got way better layout software than me. Apparently there are better things than MS Word.

But I don't want to drag anyone into actually designing this layout for me - as much as I appreciate the offer.

Really I'm trying to focus on the specific aspect of it dealing with fridge placement. That is - a fridge is just a big honkin' obelisk that blocks the view if it's anywhere except a back wall.

If it goes on either the north or south walls, then it blocks the sight-line from the dining room, creating these "dead" spaces behind them - long sections of counter space blocked from view - and it makes the space seems smaller. If you're trying to create an impression of spaciousness - which we're always trying to do with rental units - you want to leave things as opened up as possible.

But with the sink already on the back wall of the U, the fridge does pretty much have to go on the north or south walls. So I'm looking for design tricks that make it "seem" like the fridge isn't actually blocking the view of anything.

Really I'm grasping for the magic bullet that allows me to avoid doing the inevitable. Or ways to circumvent the laws of physics.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Wood n' concrete finishes
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Well, I have the great luxury of sort of being the client.
Well in that case, that will be 1,200.

Can you scoot the doorway over? No, thought not.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
... the obvious design choice to me would be the north wall in a Refrigerator Cab (better to look at the side of a cab, than the side of a frig or behind it). The reason is when you walk into a room, your eyes track to the farthest distance. If you place the Frig on the South wall, you now have two vertical dimensions to visually absorb when you walk into the room and considering the window location, which will not be moved, you would also be cutting off the natural light into the room. Coming into the room from the Door to the Family Room your eyes will track to the light coming from the window, which is closer to the south wall, thereby bringing the light across the room and de-emphasizing the Frig Cab and the Pillar as you walk in.
Barring the physical law circumventing magic bullet I was grasping for, this kind of layout theory is extremely helpful. Thanks. If it has to be on one of those wall, beter to choose the best position based on this kind of design theory.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 6,422

bob_contractor,

The other aspect to remember is based on your drawing, when walking towards the North Wall from the South, the Door Opening to the Family Room also takes a bite out of the monolithic feel of the fridge because your eyes continue into the family room. Not to mention it is offset.

The opposite is not true.. Because of where the Door to the Family Room is, when you enter the room from that door, you will be looking at not only a Pillar but a fridge directly in your line of sight.

P.S. - whenever considering placement of a Frig, you should also always try and make sure there is a counter surface next to it for loading and unloading...

Last edited by KAP; 03-04-2012 at 09:59 PM.