Is There A Method To Repair Rotted Door.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: ET's Home Repair
Rewards Points: 152

Is There A Method To Repair Rotted Door.

A common issue we see around here is rot at the base of the back door jamb and sometimes the door itself. When it is just the door jamb that is rotted we can use an oscillating tool to cut off the bottom 6-8" of the jamb leg and replace it with a new treated section of jamb leg. It's not as pretty as replacing the whole side or whole frame but much less expensive for the customer since it only requires removing a small portion of wood and painting one color.

It seems there should be a similar solution to repairing wood rot on the door itself. Does anyone have experience repairing a door like this instead of buying a whole new door?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Construction Connoissuer

Trade: Construction Remodeling - Renovations Repairs
Rewards Points: 1,046

Re: Is There A Method To Repair Rotted Door.

Your kiddin right?

Who uses band aids on doors anyway, just replace the darn thing and be done.

I can see clearly it wasn't maintained, point in case - thats why its like it is.

It needed paint a few years back, and probably a new seal, now its toast.

Use a bandaid if you want, but imo its like putting lipstick on a pig.

Sorry I just feel like being honest tonight.

Want to contact us? - Email ~ james@crowcontractingco.com - Or Call ~ 765.279.8271
The Following User Says Thank You to CCCo. For This Useful Post:
Splinter hands (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry / Carpentry Construction and Restoration
Rewards Points: 2,476

I have no clue how to fix rotten wood

http://www.contractortalk.com/f33/hu...dow-job-99692/
The Following User Says Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
dakzaag (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
Chief outhouse engineer

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseal View Post
I have no clue how to fix rotten wood

http://www.contractortalk.com/f33/hu...dow-job-99692/
ya, and I have no clue what a cmu is...

I need some input on replacing a jam. My front door is in bad shape. I have been looking over the hurd job to learn a thing or two.
2. Repeat as often as needed.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,643

Couldn't resist.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sir Mixalot For This Useful Post:
greg24k (01-25-2012), Mud Master (01-24-2012), Splinter hands (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everend
A common issue we see around here is rot at the base of the back door jamb and sometimes the door itself. When it is just the door jamb that is rotted we can use an oscillating tool to cut off the bottom 6-8" of the jamb leg and replace it with a new treated section of jamb leg. It's not as pretty as replacing the whole side or whole frame but much less expensive for the customer since it only requires removing a small portion of wood and painting one color.

It seems there should be a similar solution to repairing wood rot on the door itself. Does anyone have experience repairing a door like this instead of buying a whole new door?
It looks like a inexpensive door but if its worth your time are cut half the bottom rail at least all the rot glue and clamp a new rail with a loose tennon sand paint and add a kickplate. I payed 1500 for just the slab for my front door so i Could see why some one would try to get a few more years
Old 01-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
Grand Rapids Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,048

Prehung Exterior Steel Door P-8 36 in. x 80 in. Left Swing
Details
Prehung Exterior Steel Door P-8 36 in. x 80 in. Left Swing
Full-Lite Primed White
Nominal Size: 36"W x 80"H - LH
Sku: 4142205
Model: P8_Stl_Ph_Dr_Loe_Gls_36X80_Lh
Online Price
$259.00

I think this one has the built in blind.

I might want to address the problem of why it rotted like that to begin with. Must have a water source to make it that way.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Masonry / Carpentry Construction and Restoration
Rewards Points: 2,476

Truth is...some doors are inexpensive and you gotta draw a line between the economics of restoration vs. replacement.

Looks like it's a full view door which might have racked a bit and squeezed the jamb and door together - check that door for square and trash if it's out.

Cheap new construction doors...I replace in a heartbeat; Complicated, expensive doors, I'll entertain restoration methods.

Pic doesn't really tell the story...who knows, it might be a T-Astragal with a monster transom attached.

Doubt it ...but could be
The Following User Says Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
Tom M (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
Pro

Yes this is a serious question Yes it is a <$250 builder grade door. Steel clad wood. The rot only goes an inch or two into the door, so I suspect that we could cut back into the door behind the rot and glue in a small piece. Since the face of the door is steel, I think we could hid the patch so that it is only visible as a line 4-6" up along the end of the door.

This client is a rental property manager so they are not really interested in spending $500-750 to do the job right. Replace the door, jamb, exterior trim, interior trim and 4 colors of paint (int/ext trim/wall). I see this all the time, even with non-rental homes.

Because this is a managed property they can spend up to $250 before they need to get approval from the actual owner. So I'd like to have a method for repairing this type of door rot for under $250. This way I can give the customer's a choice between a budget job and a brand new front door. Having this repair method allows us to compete with guys who will do the work for nothing.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
Pro

As for the cause...
These are 100k-150k homes that are about 10-15 years old. They used inexpensive materials. There is rarely any eve over the door, if so it's the standard 18" eve that goes around the rest of the house. The rotted doors we see are usually north facing back doors so they don't get any direct sun to dry. Most of the time the concrete patio is poured to within 3" of the threshold so water runs off the roof (no gutters) onto the patio and splashes up the back door. Because the jambs are interior grade pine and the cut ends were probably not primed/painted or set into caulk, water wicks up into the end grain and rots them out. These houses usually have Hardie siding so customers can get away with not repainting the exterior, yea it may look a bit faded but the siding isn't visibly deteriorating due to paint problems, except for this one spot where the builder used untreated wood, outside. PS we also see a lot of untreated 1x4 as window trim in these neighborhoods. These are also rotted on the mitered corners.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
Commercial Contractor

Trade: Commercial General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to Mud Master

Are you sure you WANT to compete with those type of guys in the first place???
Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: house painting and miscellaneous repair

find a good used building goods store,could be my city but there seems to be a few to choose from, located in the dirty part of town, just be sure to charge extra for shopping.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
Can I get an Amen?

Trade: Custom Woodworks
Rewards Points: 664

How do you fix a rotted door?

Very carefully
Attached Thumbnails
Is there a method to repair rotted door.-100_1576.jpg   Is there a method to repair rotted door.-100_1573.jpg   Is there a method to repair rotted door.-100_1554.jpg  
Old 01-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Home Improvements/Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everend View Post
Yes this is a serious question Yes it is a <$250 builder grade door. Steel clad wood. The rot only goes an inch or two into the door, so I suspect that we could cut back into the door behind the rot and glue in a small piece. Since the face of the door is steel, I think we could hid the patch so that it is only visible as a line 4-6" up along the end of the door.

This client is a rental property manager so they are not really interested in spending $500-750 to do the job right. Replace the door, jamb, exterior trim, interior trim and 4 colors of paint (int/ext trim/wall). I see this all the time, even with non-rental homes.

Because this is a managed property they can spend up to $250 before they need to get approval from the actual owner. So I'd like to have a method for repairing this type of door rot for under $250. This way I can give the customer's a choice between a budget job and a brand new front door. Having this repair method allows us to compete with guys who will do the work for nothing.
I work for management companies also so I understand your price issue. Here it has to be under 300.00. I also understand how the rest of it works when you work for companies like this. Once you touch it you own it. If you half ass it now they will be really happy and tell you how great you are. When in 6-8 months the pice of wood you put in falls out, or the bondo you used to fix the metal cracks they will have you there for free repairing it again. Then they will tell you how you should have fixed it right to start with so now why can't you replace the door like you should have to start with. Oh and they allready paid you once to fix it so the second time is all on you. It's really not worth it to not do it right. Explain it to the Property Manager and have them to get the approval you need to do it right.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to summithomeinc For This Useful Post:
72chevy4x4 (01-25-2012), ATH (01-25-2012), Splinter hands (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #15

Trade: GC

I would charge more than 250 to go and dink around trying to repair a rotten door anyway. Tell the cheap slumloard the door was originally a POS product and it needs to be replaced. Let him know that you don't like to Jimmy things together because you end up with a shoddy end result and you like to do things right so there are no future recurring problems in the future and in the long run it will save him money. Slumloards love hearing SAVE and MONEY in the same sentence.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #16

Trade: GC

I was typing the same time you were summit. I see we are on the same page with this one.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #17
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,506

I think some of you guys poking fun are missing the point. Sure, it's a maintenance issue. So the maintenance wasn't done. I'll share a secret: I get a lot of work from people who didn't do proper maintenance.

But yes, I'll agree; while there are ways to restore a slab in that condition, in most cases it will cost a significant percentage, or even more than the price of a new one--mostly in labor. A casual reality check usually results in a new slab being ordered.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
Splinter hands (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #18
Pro

There is one other aspect to this question, my desire to find a repair solution. I don't like waste. 95% of the door is still good. When I replace the door, I'll post the old one for free on craigslist and about half the time it's picked up, I assume to be reused by someone who's less discriminating. The other half of the time it goes to the landfill. The re-hab (used material) store won't take it and I don't know of anyone recycling these around here.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 2,572
Send a message via MSN to KennMacMoragh

Did you try scraping, Bondo, sand, then paint?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #20
Pro

I haven't tried anything yet and probably won't for this customer since I bid it my normal rate for complete replacement. I'm a bit surprised that nobody else is thinking along the repair lines.