Share Your Project Timelines

Old 11-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #1
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 3,010

Share Your Project Timelines

I always feel like projects could go faster but my clients and my subs comment on how quick they go. I also helped on an episode of that show where they remodel or build a house in a week, and they really do it.

Typically, I can't do a down to studs bath or kitchen remodel much faster than 3 weeks. Major kitchens are often 6 weeks.

I did a 1000sf down to studs and fully reconfigure a floor in 11 weeks.

Today I'm finishing a project after 13 weeks, a week ahead of my estimate. Add small attached garage, turn existing garage into master bedroom, turn existing master bedroom into additional living space, reconfigure main floor and move/reconfigure master bath.

This project involved digging and then pouring new basement footing, installing large posts and beams to handle taking out structural walls, sistering joists, and in general many of the elements of both new construction and remodel. 13 doors, 8 windows, 3000 feet of drywall, 1200 feet of flooring and tile, 1000 feet of trim. Medium sized remodel.

What's a typical job for you?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,386

Re: Share Your Project Timelines

This could be fun and interesting, but you need to consider what a “typical” job is and how different “typical” may be for different companies. Here is our “typical”:

Kitchen demo to move in ready: 10 – 12 weeks. (note we don’t do kitchens under $80k and typical (average over the last 5 years is $140k).

Master bath demo to move in ready: 8 - 10 weeks. (we don’t do masters under $50k and typical is $70k).

Hall or kids bath (3 fixtures): 3 weeks.

Basement finish: 10 weeks to 28 weeks depending on size and detail.

Also note that we have some incredible inspection hoops to jump through. We did a 3 fixture bath in January that scheduled out at 9 working days. Add 5 days of inspections for a total of 14 days on site. 36% of the project timeline was for inspections.

Advertisement

Da Vinci on the web or Da Vinci On Facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaVinciRemodel For This Useful Post:
Golden view (11-12-2016), griz (11-11-2016), Jaws (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,490

The money has always been in get in and get out.

Remodels, especially on older projects, can wreak havoc with schedules with unforseen/unknowns.

Remodels are also notorious for changes after people see the project underway.

A true custom home can also have the tendency to come out slightly different than the plans.

When I was at Tahoe weather often had quite a role in delaying a project.

Inspections out here can also cause quite a delay.

Now if you add design/plans/engineering/permits to the process.....
DaVinciRemodel (11-11-2016), Golden view (11-12-2016), Jaws (11-11-2016)

Old 11-11-2016, 11:24 AM   #4
3 Jacks 2 Nines

Trade: Wannabe Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 116

Closed on a tear down for a lot split in May. Still waiting on electrical company to disconnect gas and elec to tear down. Then can submit for lot split - 6-8 weeks. Then can submit for plan review 4-8 weeks. Then can pull building permits to build two new homes... 8 months. We'll be close to one year from purchase to start of construction.
The Following User Says Thank You to bwiab For This Useful Post:
Golden view (11-12-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
The Sheriff

Rewards Points: 6,356

All over the board. Depends on if the client follows selections calender and selection sheets, weather, subs honesty on schedules and how detailed the project is. I have a 400k + remodel of a lake cottage that is going to be done around Christmas making it 11 months. My brother is running one an hour a way that is twice as big and a lot more money and will be done at 6-7 months. Maybe 8. Details and selections. Change orders. Subs. Different everytime.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Golden view (11-12-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 12:04 PM   #6
The Sheriff

Rewards Points: 6,356

Occupied ( I haven't done in some time except for some small stuff for good clients) I try to make them decide everything and get it in my shop before demo. If there is no changes we are effecient and get in and get out.

John
Old 11-12-2016, 11:22 AM   #7
edward trowelhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
The money has always been in get in and get out.

Inspections out here can also cause quite a delay.

Now if you add design/plans/engineering/permits to the process.....
No doubt speed is money. I was running the numbers on my current project. It only takes a couple weeks over time and my empoyee ends up with more in his pocket than me. A couple weeks ahead and I can give him a fat bonus and still make great money.

I have never been delayed much by inspections. Here one inspector does all, but they will send a guy who worked in the trade depending on the inspection and what the project is. Engineering and permitting yes, but I was not counting that in my timelines. I can almost always work on something else while waiting on inspection. My current project had these inspections 17 inspections in 7 visits:

1. Erosion control and setback at the same time
  2. Footings twice (complex so had to do two pours. inspector phone approved second one), Ufer ground at the same time
  3. slab reinforcement
  4. shearwall
  5. plumbing, mechanical, electric rough, framing and fireblocking all at the same time. They were busy so I was pushed a day
  6. insulation (he came first thing Friday morning so I could have drywall hangers start at 8am and tape coat to dry over the weekend)
  7. Plumbing, mechanical, electric, and building final all at the same time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
Jaws (11-12-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 05:27 AM   #8
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 384

A typical job can go pretty fast in our case. A lot of the time we spend consulting the clients on the characteristics of our granite and quartz countertops and cabinets. This includes the talk about the quality but also about the color, design and what is the best option and fit for a particular space. Once when we struck the deal, we can do the job in a single day.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:25 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: General and Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,390

Our typical projects are high-end and are in big old homes. Our average job size is $ 250k.

Full custom kitchen - 4+ months (2-4 weeks might be spent waiting on custom cabinetry and millwork due to cabinetmaker's schedule or changes to the cabinetry during shop drawings approval)

Full custom bath - 8+ weeks

Whole house remodels - 6+ months

Permits can take up to 2 months (we often begin work with the client's blessings) and we have to schedule inspections at least 2 weeks in advance.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:27 AM   #10
edward trowelhands

My permitting process just got way easier. After a 14 month wait, I'm in the field issuance remodel program. Instead of the hell that is the city building department, I call my inspector and they look at the job on site and issue the permit right there.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:54 AM   #11

Trade: framing,roofing,siding,bathrooms,kitchens,patios,etc
Rewards Points: 2

I understand its alot of details in kithchens and bathrooms..plus the dem0.. Really its the part of the house where you get alot of activity..thanks from rooster

Advertisement