Remove Chimney

Old 12-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
Willyy87

Trade: ASPHALT MAINTENANCE, SNOW REMOVAL, LANDSCAPING
Rewards Points: 10

Remove Chimney

I have a house that has a chimney running straight through the middle of the living room, and kitchen area down to the basement. There is a wood burning fireplace on each floor of this two floor house.

The chimney has cinder blocks in the attic that measure approx. 3' x 5' looking from the top looking down. There is a wood frame built inside the attic that surrounds the cinder blocks of the chimney. How do I tell if this cinder block structure is load bearing? The main load bearing beam of the house runs approx. 5' from the chimney structure.

I want to remove the entire chimney structure from the roof down to the basement. I also will need to try to find out if the main floor is being held up by the fireplace structure in the basement.

I only need help in how to find out if any structural damage could occur if I remove the structure, I have the tools etc. to do the brick demo.

Any help, or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Willyy87

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Chief outhouse engineer

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 786

Re: Remove Chimney

Slick Willy,
I am not sure how Asphalt Maintenance translates into chimney removal, but by the sounds of your question, not very well. Get a professional involved like a structural engineer and make sure no one gets hurt.

Let me also suggest you introduce yourself and give us a little information about the background of your company and projects completed. You will find that you get a lot more intelligent responses.

Advertisement

2. Repeat as often as needed.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

"please complete your profile, and continue to the intro page and tell us a little about yourself and your professional experience, thankyou and welcome to ct "gmod

Old 12-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
Willyy87

I should have mentioned that I am doing this project at home. This is my chimney.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: custom home building
Rewards Points: 2,624

Price installing a new chimney before you remove that one.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
Chief outhouse engineer

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 786

He is removing the chimney to gain 15 Sq ft on each level. Not replacing it.

DIY.

Take before and after pics, if the house caves in you will be top nominee for Darwin award.

I doubt it is actually load bearing, but the only way to know is to take a really close look.
2. Repeat as often as needed.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: One on top of Two
Rewards Points: 568

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyy87 View Post
I have a house that has a chimney running straight through the middle of the living room, and kitchen area down to the basement. There is a wood burning fireplace on each floor of this two floor house.

The chimney has cinder blocks in the attic that measure approx. 3' x 5' looking from the top looking down. There is a wood frame built inside the attic that surrounds the cinder blocks of the chimney. How do I tell if this cinder block structure is load bearing? The main load bearing beam of the house runs approx. 5' from the chimney structure.

I want to remove the entire chimney structure from the roof down to the basement. I also will need to try to find out if the main floor is being held up by the fireplace structure in the basement.

I only need help in how to find out if any structural damage could occur if I remove the structure, I have the tools etc. to do the brick demo.

Any help, or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Willyy87

Why in the world do you want to remove the fireplaces??
Old 12-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickie View Post
Why in the world do you want to remove the fireplaces??
silly boy, he is wanting to remove the chimney, not the fireplace
Old 12-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevy4x4 View Post
silly boy, he is wanting to remove the chimney, not the fireplace

If it was built properly you certainly would be
Old 12-10-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
Willyy87

The Darwin award doesnt sound very prestigious. No, seriously I am planning on removing the chimney and the fireplaces and all related structures from above the roof line to below the lower floor of my house. This is a big structure gentleman. It goes straight through near center of my kitchen and living room. Each fireplace structure on each floor measures approx. 4' x 10'. The main floor has moss rock, and the basement has red brick. The attic has a 3' x 5' cinder block main structure which contains the chimneys (2) running through it.
I want to remove all of it to gain approx. 160 sf of space in my house.

I have a beautiful mountain view that is being blocked by moss rock road block. The guy who built this was nuts!!!! The designers in the late 70's must have not liked open floor plans!
Old 12-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #11
Willyy87

F.Y.I. I have an awsome coal stoker furnace in my basement and these fireplaces have no real purpose, other than satisfying some sick mans need for big fireplaces. They are simply blocking my awsome views of the Big Horn Mountains and my yard!
Old 12-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/GC
Rewards Points: 550

Separate chimney for the furnace, right? or are you replacing with a smaller chimney?

If you are unable to determine yourself if it is a supportive chimney, you need to have someone with framing/building experience with you as the chimney is removed, to evaluate and build in necessary temp supports.

Unless you open up walls and ceiling around the chimney first, a structural engineer would only be able to give you a guess. Probably a long shot, but are there copies of building plans available through your building dept?

If it it a structural chimney, you may, (depending where you live) need an engineer to design structural replacement.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:42 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,832

Willy -

Have a professional look at the house. Modern codes do not allow a fireplace to be a structural element, but there are exceptions.

Years ago, many homes were traditionally built with a large chimney serving many different uses, but they were the "core" of the home and provide immense stability in addition to carrying vertical loads.

Your home could fall into that category.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
willyy87 (12-11-2009)
Old 12-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
Willy -

Have a professional look at the house. Modern codes do not allow a fireplace to be a structural element, but there are exceptions.

Years ago, many homes were traditionally built with a large chimney serving many different uses, but they were the "core" of the home and provide immense stability in addition to carrying vertical loads.

Your home could fall into that category.

I agree. He has stacked fireplaces. That's a lot of weight. I would keep a close eye on the reinforced hearth bases and the floors on each level.
willyy87 (12-11-2009)
Old 12-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #15
Willyy87

This house was built in 1977. It doesnt appear that the joists are embedded into the cinder blocks in my attic. I belive that this means that the fireplace structure isnt load bearing at least for the cieling portion of the main floor????

As far as the portion below the main floor I am not sure. My neighbor is a recently retired building contractor. I may ask his opinion.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #16
Willyy87

I started the project two days ago. I have removed eight feet of structure from three feet above the roof, down to the ceiling of the main floor. I will now tackle the fireplace structure on the main floor. It measures 3' w x 8' t x 10' L. After that I will tackle the basement. Pretty easy so far!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Design
Rewards Points: 250

Let us know the end results!

Advertisement