RE-BATH Or BATH FITTER Anyone See Bad Jobs Or Bad Experiences???

Old 11-09-2007, 05:16 AM   #1
Designing YourImagination

Trade: Custom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

RE-BATH Or BATH FITTER Anyone See Bad Jobs Or Bad Experiences???

Hey guys,
Well I was wondering if anyone has heard of any bad experiences coming from or because of re-bath or bath fitters?? I have a customer that I was getting ready to redo their bathroom to the extent of $30000. Well someone from re-bath went door knocking and so my customer allowed them in to present. They are just pricing covering up the tub and tile whereas I am pricing taking a cramped bathroom and restructuring walls to give them a huge bathroom on a 2nd floor. Not counting they picked out a $4000 tub and marble tile. Well enough about what I priced but they may sell their house and so they are wondering if re-bath would be a better solution since they can be in and out in 2 days. I would like to find something to present them with to try to keep them away from them. I could replace the tub and tile that they have for probrably around the same price as they charge to cover everything with acrylic. Well guys hope you can help me out.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-09-2007, 06:32 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling/specializing in kitchen & baths
Rewards Points: 508

Re: RE-BATH Or BATH FITTER Anyone See Bad Jobs Or Bad Experiences???

to start with the redesign probably required a quick floor plan anyway. so .....
charge a small fee for design work UP FRONT. if you can't sell a 250.00 plan you can't sell a 30000.00 bath. this would of been a deterent of allowing the salesman in or even accepting a referal from a friends nephew " who's new in the business and prices the same thing cheap" . you would of locked em in once they paid the fee. don't compete with the liner companies, you'll be seen as just like them. in a businesslike way tell them your a REMODELER and address the entire room. finish with telling the client you've never allowed shortcuts to be taken on your jobs! go get em!

Old 11-09-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
Chief Toilet Mover

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Seriously, your customer is probably your customer or a rebath type customer, but not both. What they do and what you do are totally different. If there is some confusion between the two of you from your customer something is wrong. Customers don't go from seriously considering spending 30K on a bathroom by one person to 5K on the bathroom from another. The only reason that would happen is they believe the 30K bathroom and the 5K one are the same.

Something is not right in your situation. The only time a rebath competitor enters into the scenario with us is if we too are offering to do an inexpensive cosmetic remodel, and it takes about 3 sentences from me for the customer to quickly forget they ever brought them up. In your case with the vast differences in what you are doing compared to what they are doing if you have to waste more than 1 sentence you're not in front of a viable customer who is going to purchase your services.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Finley For This Useful Post:
Frank P (11-18-2009)
Old 11-09-2007, 09:25 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Painting
Send a message via AIM to boman47k

Interesting that this came up. I just recently saw one of their trucks here locally. Since then ( a few days ago), I have seen a commercial for them. Must just now be getting into this area. Francise I guess. Made me wonder how they would have done the old cast iron tub I just removed from my bath. Sorta wish I still had it.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:02 PM   #5
Certified Remodeler

Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler

I owned a franchise that allowed me to do tub refits. Did 2 of them and quit.
No problems with the product, but it makes the bathroom look like a Hotel 6 bathroom. Apples and oranges, you sell remodeling and they sell a product. "And never the Twain shall meet". By the way, I got 50% gross profit on those tub surrounds. Got rid of the franchise and no longer do them.
The Following User Says Thank You to silvertree For This Useful Post:
j_sims (06-15-2011)
Old 11-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"

The only one I've ever actually seen, the tub was noticeably smaller inside, and the whole room was noticeably cheesier looking.
If they want that crap, you don't want them.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:13 AM   #7

thanks guys for all your posts. I do know one reason that they are thinking about rebath was that the whole time we were designing the bathroom i was dealing with the wife and while they were on vacation. evidently while they were shopping for plumbing fixtures she told the husband that she wanted to live there 5 more years to enjoy the new bathroom. well he had other thoughts and was wanting to move in a year and they didnt think they could get the investment back. i am going to meet with her next week to find out a final decision because we are booked passed christmas and she will be the one that decides and wants us to start next week but knows it is not possible. I have remodeled her daughters whole house almost and so they were waiting to see how the work turned out. they loved our work and then decided to have me look into their bathroom which i need to say is in a $375,000 house. Hopefully things will work out in our best interest. And I have thought about charging design fees but I thought it would scare people away and so I have not done it yet. I end up doing alot of the design by hand then transfer to 3d for a final picture to realize what you would get. Thanks guys for all your help!!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 08:53 AM   #8
It's all about the Avatar

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,002

Anytime a buisness uses the words, cover up. I would put up a red flag and wave it like a wild man. Cover ups are a buy now, pay later solution. Over time you will need to replace those capped over rotten window sills and without removing the wall tile around the tubs and repalce the tub, cover ups fail to repair the damage that exists. It just hides the problem. I believe the products can be designed to do the process well, it just means that the process of covering up has removed the fact that the tub likely had many problems or it would not have been replaced or covered up.
Cover ups can be equated to painting over rust. What is happening under that bright new glossy surface is a cancer is eating away at the very structure that the glossy surface is depending on for stabilty.
If the suface is great and the strutures are good then why not use the lesser intrusive of the two. Buying brand name knock off joggers when purchasing shoes does not mean you will complete a marathon in them..You may need to purchase two or three pair, at the same or above the brands cost.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodmagman For This Useful Post:
scraigc (12-28-2011)
Old 11-10-2007, 08:55 AM   #9
Celtic's #1 Fan

Trade: electrical

something to bear in mind...what's in the customer's best interest is usually your long term best interest...

by that I mean...this house is approx $375,000...they can spend a couple of thousand on a re-bath and sell the house for $380-385,000 in a year (assuming that the market doesn't drop much more)...or they can spend $30,000 on a complete new bathroom and still sell their house for $385-390,000 in a year or two...which makes more sense?

in addition, if they are staying in the area, you have the possibility of work in their new house.

this whole thing hinges on whether they are selling or not....if they plan on saying, sell your case..but if they are moving, do the right thing...
The Following User Says Thank You to mahlere For This Useful Post:
sparehair (04-27-2009)
Old 11-10-2007, 09:29 AM   #10
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"

Right now, things get a bit more complex than in a "good" market.
Depending on how bad they want to move the property, sometimes there is a trade-off between recovering the cost of improvement and "desirability".
One may not recover the total cost on the resale, but it might move faster.
There are gonna be a lot of houses that sit with the sign out front for a long time.
The bubble has popped, but all the pieces haven't hit the ground just yet.
That's not a decision for us to make, but something for the HO and realtor to kick around.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:54 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Swimming Pool Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

i use a similiar service now & then to "rejuvinate" thermoplastic panel pool stairs. over the past few yrs zero probs. yet my guy is an owner operator &
we are on a first name basis. he basically comes out in a "space suit" & sprays the material i pay him about a G.

btw the work is holding up to chemical & ice loads.

ray
Old 11-10-2007, 02:50 PM   #12
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor

When I remodel bathrooms I sell the project as being gutted and starting over getting rid of mold, lead drum traps etc... Re-bath cannot offer that type of project so I would sell them on quality over speed. Someting along the lines of "Well Mrs. HO yes you could cover the tub and walls but you also may be trapping mold and other issues for the next HO possibly with kids to deal with".

www.ObrienConstructionDenver.com
Old 11-10-2007, 06:14 PM   #13
Old school Ranger

Trade: flooring

I worked for a company in san diego back in the 80's that did the tub liner thing and I remember that the biggest problem that they had was water leaking in under the liner either from between the joint where the tub meets the wall or more often around the drain ring. It made the water would set in there and mold would form. I took one out once that that had happened to and boy did it smell. I never messed with that part of the business again.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:35 PM   #14
It's all about the Avatar

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOLMANinCT View Post
i use a similiar service now & then to "rejuvinate" thermoplastic panel pool stairs. over the past few yrs zero probs. yet my guy is an owner operator &
we are on a first name basis. he basically comes out in a "space suit" & sprays the material i pay him about a G.

btw the work is holding up to chemical & ice loads.

ray
I do not think it is the same product, the liners that I have seen are pre moulded ones that kind of fit over the existing tub and cover the wall tile in some cases...I have seen the epoxy spray systems, and that could be a better product.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:07 PM   #15
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 2,010

A friend of mine is looking at houses, as he is in the market to upgrade, so when he gets something he might make an offer on he asks me to look at it, he wanted me to look at a house that had one of those rebath things done, it looked like hammered dog crap. I told him to keep looking, the cost of tearing that mess out and re-doing the bathroom right was not worth what they were asking for the house.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:17 AM   #16

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

hey TurnkeyConst is that a marble tile job that You were telling me about?

I'm waiting to see the pics
Old 11-11-2007, 06:33 AM   #17

yes it is

So guys that is what I feared for them was the ability to resell with it being done,
and the chance of leaking around the liner and into the tub. I hope that one day
everyone realizes what re-bath does but by then they will be long gone setting up
into another state.

Last edited by TurnkeyConst; 11-11-2007 at 06:38 AM. Reason: instead of replying again
Old 11-11-2007, 08:43 AM   #18
Class A Contractor "BLD"

Trade: Remodeling and home improvements
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnkeyConst View Post
yes it is

So guys that is what I feared for them was the ability to resell with it being done,
and the chance of leaking around the liner and into the tub. I hope that one day
everyone realizes what re-bath does
but by then they will be long gone setting up
into another state.
This just means our jobs are that much secure in the future.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:36 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Swimming Pool Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmagman View Post
I do not think it is the same product, the liners that I have seen are pre moulded ones that kind of fit over the existing tub and cover the wall tile in some cases...I have seen the epoxy spray systems, and that could be a better product.

correct woodmag, it is a spray system not a drop in panel.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:11 AM   #20
New Guy

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

TO all who have answered this forum with typical prejudiced responses, you give every honest and quality contractor a bad name. It seems to me from afar that most of you really don't understand what re-bath does, how they exactly do it, and what they really use. So how can you run your mouths about it? Is this the same way you approach your costumers when they ask questions?

I have worked for a re-bath dealer for 6 years. Each location is a franchise. Each location is only as good as it's ownership, but thats true for everyone who posts here too. Re-bath is not hammered crap!

It is more than tub liners. First a liner can only go over a cast iron tub and nothing else. When we remodel a fiberglass or steel, or old ceramic tile job it comes out. We offer any home owner a simple alterative to traditional bathroom remodeling. Less mess ( in general) less time to remodel.

We use no subs, we extensively train our own people.We always pull required permits when moving/changing drains, or electric is involved. We give a real honest to god lifetime warranty and stand behind it like no other company on earth. Our products are not cheap crappy preformed kits. Almost all work is done completely on site. All measuring, cutting, installing etc.

We do not sell with high pressure and empty promises, and we put every detail in writing before the client signs anything. We are outstanding members of the BBB, and actually have our entire product line independently tested by Underwriters Laboratories.

I have worked for four different contractor/remodeling firms in 16 years and have never seen a more professionally run, or better customer centered business. If you are losing bids to re-bath, then look at your approach and products you offer. It's not our fault. We don't compete with high end remodeling, and I have never been able to change a customer's mind that really wanted to do slate, or custom tile work for their bath/shower. So we really don't compete.