Radon Venting?

Old 01-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
wannabe

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,000

Radon Venting?

Code requires radon vents.....I don't know a lot about it, and maybe someone can explain it better to me.... I did some research and all I found was recommendations for installing the vapor barrier under the slab and specs on roof venting.

We tie into the footer drain and vent through the roof in new construction. It's only been code for 3 maybe 4 years here. It's not so much of a big deal in new construction since you can place it in a wet wall and just go.

Well, we just lifted a 2 1/2 story home to add a basement, and we're required to add a radon vent. Our vent is in the basement mechanical room and no one seems to know where to go with the vent.

We can't go through 2 1/2 stories of a finished home to vent through the roof. We're told that we can't tie into the plumbing vent, so the simplest solution is to go out of the rim like the other mechanicals. Is that OK?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,206

Re: Radon Venting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYcarpenter View Post
Code requires radon vents.....I don't know a lot about it, and maybe someone can explain it better to me.... I did some research and all I found was recommendations for installing the vapor barrier under the slab and specs on roof venting.

We tie into the footer drain and vent through the roof in new construction. It's only been code for 3 maybe 4 years here. It's not so much of a big deal in new construction since you can place it in a wet wall and just go.

Well, we just lifted a 2 1/2 story home to add a basement, and we're required to add a radon vent. Our vent is in the basement mechanical room and no one seems to know where to go with the vent.

We can't go through 2 1/2 stories of a finished home to vent through the roof. We're told that we can't tie into the plumbing vent, so the simplest solution is to go out of the rim like the other mechanicals. Is that OK?
We was asked the same thing. We had a radon test done just a couple days ago and it come out tested as safe so no vents were needed. Perhaps you can do the same thing?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry / Carpentry Construction and Restoration
Rewards Points: 2,048

most around my way look like this...horrible spot albeit
Attached Thumbnails
Radon Venting?-deming-window-001a.jpg  
Old 01-06-2011, 06:28 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: retired
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:

If you go out the rim, you have to have an exhaust system up to roof height like superseal showed - they are absolutely hideous!

In my opinion, it is worth any mess, trouble and cost to go thru the 2 stories of a finished home. 2009 IRC says it can be a passive system, no exhaust, but if it is ran in interior walls, it must have a receptacle in the attic area in the event of a positive radon test later on, a fan can be added and plugged in.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeler & Radon Mitigator
Rewards Points: 75

If there is an attached garage you can route the pipe through the rim, up the garage wall and through the garage roof as long as there are no windows facing the area.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 2,082
Send a message via MSN to KennMacMoragh

Is this an east coast thing? Because I have never heard of it, never saw it in the IBC either.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennMacMoragh View Post
Is this an east coast thing? Because I have never heard of it, never saw it in the IBC either.
2009 IRC appendix F, I believe.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 2,082
Send a message via MSN to KennMacMoragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeCarpentry View Post
2009 IRC appendix F, I believe.
Thanks, not an issue in my area. WYN, did you look up the sections? http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...ppf_sec001.htm
WNYcarpenter (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
Sean

Trade: In Between Titles
Rewards Points: 2,022

Kenn get ready for it - the EPA & others have been pushing it big time for all construction esp. new (personally a good idea)

Now seeing this happens to be National Radon month, a press release has gone out saying that it in essence, they are going to push for it to be mandatory on every house and are looking into all their options (signed the EPA & 8 other agencies including OSHA).

oops - WNY I think the info you want is epa.gov/radon - last I checked they had all sorts of options

System does not have to have a fan unless it fails 2 radon tests (as I recall - but every local jurisdiction varies)
Old 01-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #10
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLSTech View Post
Kenn get ready for it - the EPA & others have been pushing it big time for all construction
I can't wait until they outlaw eating vegetables that have been grown in dirt.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeCarpentry View Post
If you go out the rim, you have to have an exhaust system up to roof height like superseal showed - they are absolutely hideous!

In my opinion, it is worth any mess, trouble and cost to go thru the 2 stories of a finished home. 2009 IRC says it can be a passive system, no exhaust, but if it is ran in interior walls, it must have a receptacle in the attic area in the event of a positive radon test later on, a fan can be added and plugged in.
After seeing that picture I agree 100%

It's a 100 year old house with lathe and plaster, newer wall paper, aluminum siding, and blown in insulation.....tearing in from the outside would be the best option. The problem is this issue wasn't considered in the contract.

The guy I'm working with had a good idea to sell to the BI. The house needs a new roof and siding. So we stub it out for now with the intention of running it in the wall when the home is resided. Maybe this will be a way to begin talks of future work with the HOer.

Not sure what is going to happen, it's out of my hands.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #12
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSG View Post
If there is an attached garage you can route the pipe through the rim, up the garage wall and through the garage roof as long as there are no windows facing the area.
any links for mitigation info?
Old 01-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #13
wannabe

why can't you tie into the plumbing vent?
Old 01-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
why can't you tie into the plumbing vent?
It's against code.

I don't know the specifics, probably sewer gases and radon don't mix well. And in the event you have to add a blower/fan, I don't know what that would do to plumbing fixtures.

You sound like you are onto the right idea by running it thru an exterior wall if you are residing the house.
The Following User Says Thank You to CookeCarpentry For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYcarpenter

any links for mitigation info?
The EPA website has some, another good site is cansar dot org
The Following User Says Thank You to PSG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #16
Sean

Trade: In Between Titles
Rewards Points: 2,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
I can't wait until they outlaw eating vegetables that have been grown in dirt.
Wait till National Vegi Month which also happens to be National Bureaucrat Month - just a coincidence?

As an FYI - I think adding the Radon measures is a good practice in New Construction

For full remodels, I would say it depends on testing... if they have done a few spread out throughout the years & they come back fine - then probably not --- if they haven't done any testing and you are opening everything up, I would say it probably should go in

Speaking of everyone's favorite agency - everyone might want to drop a line to the new House Chair for Government Oversight's about the RRP. He might give them enough of a belly ache to at least stop them from expanding it any more. He apparently has painted a big target on the side of their building and is just looking for any reason to screw with them
Tinstaafl (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #17
I eat sawdust.

Trade: Deck Design/Build

What the.... radon venting whatnow?

Never seen that in my life.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #18
Project Superintendent

Trade: General Contractor

It's only a problem when you are bearing on rock as I understand it. Especially SOG construction. We have been putting them in schools forever. We have to install a trap every 50,000 sf or so under the slab, that collects radon thru the free draining stone base under slab. The first course of interior block wall footings get turned sideways on top of the footings so that they vent thru the block cells.

I have installed many of these traps, and the vent piping out to the roof, but have yet to install the fans that actually create the negative pressure under the slab to pull the radon out. There is one old school in my county that had to go back and retro fit a system, which is much more problematic.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:26 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Restorations
Rewards Points: 250

Can you dig a trench and vent away from the house? The only time I have seen a Radon gas mat, it was vented away from the house underground. I believe there was a minimum distance from any residence that was necessary.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuhhh
Can you dig a trench and vent away from the house? The only time I have seen a Radon gas mat, it was vented away from the house underground. I believe there was a minimum distance from any residence that was necessary.
States that regulate radon mitigation base their regs on the EPA mitigation standards. That type of system is not allowed by that code.