Patio Door Inside Glass Broken, Outside Glass Fine...

Old 01-27-2017, 10:26 AM   #1

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2

Patio Door Inside Glass Broken, Outside Glass Fine...

How the heck did this happen?

Never seen this before.

The homeowner is thinking because the vent is right there it was the temperature outside being cold, and heat hitting it directly from the vent that caused the shatter.

Seen this? Heard about this?

6 year old builders grade door, checked for manufacturer, no sticker
Attached Thumbnails
Patio door inside glass broken, outside glass fine...-resized_20170126_113044.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2017, 10:40 AM   #2
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,864

Re: Patio Door Inside Glass Broken, Outside Glass Fine...

Yep. As long as the glass surface is in great shape, it can take a lot of thermal stress. But if it gets one little dink or scratch, all bets are off.

The longer it's been there, the more likely it got bonked. Could have happened a year ago, and just now let loose.

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
DaVinciRemodel (01-30-2017), SmallTownGuy (01-27-2017), Tom Struble (01-31-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 10:42 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 558

Probably not heat that caused it to break initially, likely a ding and then the heat, also not all that uncommon for one of the two panes to break
Old 01-30-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 7,888

I had one happen to me years ago in the townhouse I was living in.

It was summer though. The A.C was turned way down ...as in cold inside and it was brutally hot outside.

I initially thought an irate husband put a bullet through it.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:03 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 854

If someone puts an applied film on the glass, to reduce the solar gain, that will void the manufacturer's warranty.

I've been told that it can cause glass breakage. Usually it's just a seal failure though.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:33 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 3,130

I noticed my comments had disappeared. At first I thought I must have put in something that was offensive. Didn't know what, but I must have, or it wouldn't have been deleted. Since I see the same thing above, that probably wasn't the case. Must have just been computer issues. Or, of course the Russians deleted my post. Either way, I'll put it back up and see if it sticks.

First, I can't stand the term, "builders grade." I'm sure most builders would agree. Most of us use the best quality materials possible. I never want to go back on a job and say, "I can't imagine what went wrong, we used the cheapest products available." Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

I've seen 2 like this. Both about 20 years old, same house, a few years apart. It happened in the middle of the night. The homeowner said it was a loud pop and they thought someone had shot through the window.

Just like the other posters. It happens from time to time.

Maybe the term "Do it yourself grade." That seems more appropriate.

Advertisement