Opening Up A Wall

Old 02-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #1

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 25

Opening Up A Wall

Here's what I want to do. I have a 32" opening from my dining room into my living room. I'd like to put in a set of 6' French Doors in it's place. So, I obvioulsy need to open up the opening in the wall. The wall in question runs paralell with floor joists underneath,( under floor joists is crawl space) and is perpendicular to the celing joists above. Is this a load bearing wall? THere is empty attic space above. It is stick built house w/ ceiling joists and rafters. The only thing it is supporting is the c.joists.

Last edited by rakuz66; 02-08-2010 at 03:04 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
I no spell good

Trade: No Longer Zoned
Rewards Points: 2,028

Re: Opening Up A Wall

I don't think looking for structural answers via the internet is the best way to get your answer. Consider getting a qualified person on site to make the call.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
"Pro"

Trade: Construction Engineering Student
Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ayerzee

I'll echo Angus
Old 02-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
SEMI RETIRED

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,292

Same as the guys above.
You need someone qualified to
look at the situation & evaluate it.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

Does the wall run parralel, with cieling joists above? GMOD
Old 02-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
Pro Framer Dude

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,049

Go down in the crawl space and see if there is any thing holding up the wall. Even if there isn't though, the wall may still be needed to hold up those ceil joists. Do you have access in the attic too? Are the ceiling joists spliced at this wall? What is the size and span of these ceiling joists? Help us help you! Get the facts first and then see if we can help. Some pics would be nice too.

WNC Viking
Old 02-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
Rory Read

Trade: Basements, Excavation, Waterproofing and Finishing

Get into the crawl and use a string or level to see if the parallel floor joists closest to the wall in question are sagging more than the joists in the middle of the room, further away from the wall. In an old house, if they are bending more than the others, that's a strong sign the wall is bearing weight, whether it was intended to or not.

Google AWC Floor Joist Span Calculator. After measuring your floor and ceiling joists, use the form to see if the joists are capable of spanning the room with and without the aid of the interior wall.

Theoretically, it sounds like, and don't take my permission to take my word for it, you are just shifting the weight distribution along the floor joists, and as long as your new door doesn't weigh a ton, you would be ok as far as the floor goes.

In reality, stuff happens. If I was doing this in a client's home, I would make sure my new header can easily carry the ceiling joists and I would consider whether there is any possible need to sister joists, and or add posts or beams in the crawl space to carry that wall. Because once I touch it, I own it.

Kind of like when you touch it, you own it, as opposed to those of us offering up the proverbial 2 cents, who will be happy to offer you advice as to how to fix a collapsed roof as well.

Cheers,

R
Old 02-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #8

Ok, guys I hear ya. I'll call in a pro, but just for sh*** and giggles I thought that if an interior wall runs paralell with the floor joists underneath, it is NOT a load bearing wall. Is that incorrect?
Old 02-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
Pro Framer Dude

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,049

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakuz66 View Post
Ok, guys I hear ya. I'll call in a pro, but just for sh*** and giggles I thought that if an interior wall runs paralell with the floor joists underneath, it is NOT a load bearing wall. Is that incorrect?
We have done many jobs where a bearing wall runs parallel with the joists under it. It could be on a beam or even a block wall. If you can't even take the time to crawl under to check, No one here can help you.

WNC Viking
Old 02-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #10

Hi Warren, I've been in the crawlspace many times. The floor joists run parallell with the wall above. THere are no doubled up joists or posts supporting that wall. The only thing in the crawlspace is the main beam which runs paerpendicular to the floor joists. The beam is at the midpoint.

So, you have a beam running left to right, floor joists running perpendicular on top of the beam, and the wall running paralell with the f. joists.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #11
Pro

Rewards Points: 252

1) whats a load beering wall?

2) if next week I'm gonna take out three floors of load beering walls should I be worried?

3) since Im half carpenter and half structural engineer I usually start pulling the walls down, shore it up, and find some high prices enginner to stamp it when I'm done.

4) why do people worry about doing these kinds of things, it's never really been a problem for me so far.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
SEMI RETIRED

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,292

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakuz66 View Post
Here's what I want to do. I have a 32" opening from my dining room into my living room. I'd like to put in a set of 6' French Doors in it's place. So, I obvioulsy need to open up the opening in the wall. The wall in question runs paralell with floor joists underneath,( under floor joists is crawl space) and is perpendicular to the celing joists above. Is this a load bearing wall? THere is empty attic space above. It is stick built house w/ ceiling joists and rafters. The only thing it is supporting is the c.joists.
What you are asking really sounds pretty simple and straight forward if you understand the basic principles of construction and framing. However, since you are asking makes it seem like you really don't understand what is going on or how to do it. Because of this it would be in your best interest to contact an experienced contractor or carpenter. It doesn't sound like you need an engineer unless you are going to get a permit and need stamped drawings. Technically you probably need a permit (out here we need permits to change light bulb well almost) but jobs are done like this everyday without. Good luck. Cheers Griz
The Following User Says Thank You to griz For This Useful Post:
Ayerzee (02-08-2010)
Old 02-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,054

Echo, Echo, Echo.

Reading framing can be pretty tricky during a remodel. If you're not sure, get a framer, or engineer, or experienced contractor to read it for you.

Looks can be decieving. Common sense isn't always evident when you are crawling around with a flashlight in the attic or crawlspace. A good framer can save you from disaster...literally. They know all the tricks.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:42 AM   #14
30 yrs carpentry/drywall

Trade: Interiors/finishes
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by genecarp View Post
Does the wall run parralel, with cieling joists above? GMOD
good question

He who lives on hope - dies of starvation

Last edited by Carpenter Wayne; 02-10-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: contractor

Quote:
if it's running perpendicular to the joist above - it's holding up the 2nd floor or roofing system (joist/rafters/roof) and therefore IS a load bearing wall
I beg to differ...merely because a wall is oriented perpendicular to the joists above it does not make it a load bearing wall any more than being oriented parallel to the joists above it makes it a non-loadbearing wall.

What disignates a wall as "loadbearing" is the presence or absence of a load upon the wall.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000

40 posts of how do I, can I and welcome...Maybe you should hire a carpenter
When you rob Peter to pay Paul, chances are pretty good you will receive Paul's vote. Apparently the object of the game is to create more Pauls than Peters....What happens when the Peters can no longer support the Pauls? .
Old 02-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #17
30 yrs carpentry/drywall

Trade: Interiors/finishes
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mics_54 View Post
I beg to differ...merely because a wall is oriented perpendicular to the joists above it does not make it a load bearing wall any more than being oriented parallel to the joists above it makes it a non-loadbearing wall.

What disignates a wall as "loadbearing" is the presence or absence of a load upon the wall.
No ****

He who lives on hope - dies of starvation

Last edited by Carpenter Wayne; 02-10-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: contractor

Quote:
No **** - the freekin floor joist and/or rafters above the wall running perpendicular to it and "resting on the wall" making it - "load bearing" Einstein
You have no idea from the information provided if the joists are supported by the wall or not. There is not enough information provided to make your assertion. You post states if the wall is oriented perpendicular to the joists above that it is load bearing. This is false.

And...I didn't attack you or your post. I just stated that you were incorrect.

Last edited by mics_54; 02-09-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #19
"Pro"

Trade: Construction Engineering Student
Send a message via AIM to Ayerzee

I still agree with Angus
Old 02-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #20
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 2,002