Old House Gives Up Hiddin Treasures

Old 01-20-2007, 08:37 AM   #1

Trade: GENERAL CONTRACTOR

Old House Gives Up Hiddin Treasures

i live in a old 1925 victorian stlye home that i have been slowly restoring .over the summer i was working on front living room and door going into bedroom off this room had a ugly cheep acordin style door wife wanted french doors. opening was big enough over 48" so i remove old junk door and trac and go to remove casing board and to my amazment there inside the wall was the original solid six panell pocket door still on trac and workable saved me money and looks great
it was nice that for once an old houses secret was'nt hidden damage or some other unforseen repair but rather a hiddin craftsmans treasure

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-20-2007, 08:47 AM   #2
Custom Builder

Trade: From dirt to ridge vent
Send a message via AIM to Glasshousebltr Send a message via Yahoo to Glasshousebltr

Re: Old House Gives Up Hiddin Treasures

congrats Nailed

Bob

Old 01-20-2007, 10:02 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

That's really cool! Why do I always get stuck with old newspapers and bottles?

Albert Einstein
Old 01-21-2007, 07:42 AM   #4
Workin' Hard & Havin' Fun

Trade: Deck Designer/Builder

We've found our share of bottles & newspapers. But we've also found a blueprint for a local historical marker, a signed picture of some chick from the 80's, and we even did a house once that had an underground bunker (It wasn't completely hidden, but it was unknown before we purchased the house & showed up to renovate it).

~matt
Old 01-21-2007, 08:52 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling contractor

We once found a tunnel under an attached shed that had a stone foundation. Went in the tunnel for about 6 feet and it dumped into a section of a huge basement area that had bunks and shelves with dishes on it, old cookware & all kinds of stuff. Later investigation proved it to be an historcal landmark & part of the underground railway, smuggling slaves to Canada. Still have some buttons from a soldier's jacket.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Colorado master electrician, EC, B-1 GC

I started cutting an interior wall on this house for some french doors and noticed the harwood floor ran through and had a place for a floor keeper. Found the opening framed and ready to go for 5'0" french doors. Then found the original doors in the basement, hung, as part of a funky 1960's remod. So the doors got returned to their original place after 50 years of hanging in the basement.

Found a land sales map, from 1888 from Limon Colorado. No roads on the map, just the Railroad. The land was sold in sections, (340 acres), and the govt. kept every other section for investment.

Found a soda advertising sign from about 1900.

And a gold ring in a p trap.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:45 AM   #7
New Guy

Trade: General residential contractor

I remodeled the kitchen of an old 100yr old company house I had bought back in an old coal mine town in Pa a number of years ago & down in the corner between the cabinets I found a sack with old socks filled with around $600 (face value) of silver coins. That prompted me to remodel the whole house tearing into walls & everything, but thats all we found.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:05 PM   #8
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcleve4911 View Post
We once found a tunnel under an attached shed that had a stone foundation. Went in the tunnel for about 6 feet and it dumped into a section of a huge basement area that had bunks and shelves with dishes on it, old cookware & all kinds of stuff. Later investigation proved it to be an historcal landmark & part of the underground railway, smuggling slaves to Canada. Still have some buttons from a soldier's jacket.
I use to live in VT, our house was among several in town that had hiden rooms and areas. Some of the houses hid slaves and some hid Masons.