New Cabinet Hinges - Remodeling - Contractor Talk

New Cabinet Hinges

Old 05-19-2005, 09:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Cabinet Hinges

On the new less expensive cabinet hinges. The hinge pins (one top,one bottom) are threaded but have no point to use a screwdriver on top. The pins work their way loose and fall out!! Please help me with this dilemma..

Thank you,
Rick

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2005, 07:48 PM   #2
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 2,751

Re: New Cabinet Hinges

Loc-tite (green)

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2005, 08:32 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

I prefer LocTite 271 (red). Apply with a saturated Q-Tip. Hit it a couple of times within 10 mins. Green is for bearings on shafts. Want more details on LocTite? I attend a couple of seminars a year and have current books on file. Great products!

Albert Einstein

Old 05-29-2005, 01:25 PM   #4
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 2,751

Sorry Teetorbilt , I was using the Permatex brand. The green version is penetrating so you don't have to take things apart. Just apply it to the joint between the pin and the barrel and it will seep in and lock it for you. The green is also one of their weaker strengths so you can get it off easier than you would with the red loctite, if you need to service the door in the future.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:45 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Leo, your type just got very small, hard for these old eyes to read. IMHO the 271 is over-rated. I've been using it exclusively for 15 yrs. and never had a problem breaking the bond. It will penetrate as well, maybe just not as far up the threads. A touch of heat, such as from a soldering iron, destroys the bond. Loctite aquired Permatex in 1972. All same salt, more better.

Albert Einstein
Old 05-30-2005, 10:24 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

I figured some Loctite would be great for keeping the hinge pins in, however I'm not sure how to get the pins back in the hinge? Do you have to take the hinge off (apart).....Not done this before and looking for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetorbilt
Leo, your type just got very small, hard for these old eyes to read. IMHO the 271 is over-rated. I've been using it exclusively for 15 yrs. and never had a problem breaking the bond. It will penetrate as well, maybe just not as far up the threads. A touch of heat, such as from a soldering iron, destroys the bond. Loctite aquired Permatex in 1972. All same salt, more better.

Advertisement