Mold?

Old 11-02-2017, 12:19 PM   #1

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 42

Mold?

In the northern part of Michigan tearing up there's drywall and insulation to have a local contractor spray foam insulation did some research on it and it's probably a better idea to sub this one out. But as far as the mold or is this mold?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-02-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,735

Re: Mold?

The black stuff looks like it is.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Jrno1 (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
The black stuff looks like it is.
Great now what? Obviously get rid of all of it.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:58 PM   #4
Wormdrive Operator

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrno1 View Post
Great now what? Obviously get rid of all of it.

Did you just answer your own question?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: restoration/remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,248

Looks like it to me also. Have the customer call their insurance co. and check for coverage, and go from there! Nothing to play with, how much do ya have or seen?
Old 11-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Pa View Post
Looks like it to me also. Have the customer call their insurance co. and check for coverage, and go from there! Nothing to play with, how much do ya have or seen?
That's about it I wouldn't have seen it at all but I had to skim coat the whole house they had paneling on every wall and removing it damaged the drywall because of the glue Nails Etc..
And then they came up with the idea to spray foam in the walls facing Lake Huron. So as I was removing it I've noticed it along the bottom foot for about 3 or 4 feet. I appreciate any information on what someone else might do. I would obviously remove it and Doucet real good with microban. Right to wait till it stops raining and peel back the siding on the exterior see if I can find anything else that may have made this happened. Also in the crawl space. Thanks again

Old 11-03-2017, 06:43 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Mold Generator
Rewards Points: 844

You should check with the owner of the property and with your insurance company as "The M word" can open up a major can of worms. To get a reality check, talk to your local realtor about it.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:49 PM   #8
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 1,402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrno1 View Post
In the northern part of Michigan tearing up there's drywall and insulation to have a local contractor spray foam insulation did some research on it and it's probably a better idea to sub this one out. But as far as the mold or is this mold?
What....Wait..What did you say??

Delta
illbuildit.dd (11-03-2017), MarkJames (11-03-2017), ScipioAfricanus (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 06:56 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 9,427

The last job I did that had mold on the backside like that (and some on the wall face), the house needed repointing in a major way. The brick had been painted so it covered a lot of sins.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:04 PM   #10
House surgeon

Trade: building/remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven-Delta-FortyOne View Post

Delta
My thoughts exactly
Old 11-03-2017, 08:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven-Delta-FortyOne View Post

Delta
Not understanding your humor

Old 11-03-2017, 08:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by illbuildit.dd View Post
My thoughts exactly
You either?

Old 11-04-2017, 02:30 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Workaholic
Rewards Points: 1,336

if you are ripping it out what else can you do... is it only the framing? is it any wear else..
Old 11-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarboarder View Post
if you are ripping it out what else can you do... is it only the framing? is it any wear else..
I'm hoping it is, its low and behind the baseboard heating unit. I guess I could crawl in the crawl space and see if there's anything out of the ordinary. That I guess microban the affected areas call it good. Thanks for your response.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
The last job I did that had mold on the backside like that (and some on the wall face), the house needed repointing in a major way. The brick had been painted so it covered a lot of sins.
Yikes! When I get back up there I'm going to pull the siding back from the face of the house to see if there's any other issues. Thanks for your coming

Old 11-05-2017, 01:24 PM   #16
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 1,012

If there's any significant area of mold coverage(more than a foot or so) then I wouldn't touch it. Your insurance almost definitely doesn't cover you for mold remediation and that's probably stachybotrys chartarum which is the mold that everyone is scared of.

Even just demolishing the affected materials can cause the spores to spread and then you are potentially liable for any future mold issues or health problems. It's relatively easy to get it taken care of and can be devastatingly expensive if you do it yourself so I don't see the benefit of taking the risk.
The Following User Says Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
Jrno1 (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Mold Generator
Rewards Points: 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanB View Post
Your insurance almost definitely doesn't cover you for mold remediation and that's probably stachybotrys chartarum which is the mold that everyone is scared of.

Even just demolishing the affected materials can cause the spores to spread and then you are potentially liable for any future mold issues or health problems.
Isn't there some sort of form realtors have that states if anyone has ever had any knowledge of mold on the property? I think that's where the liability of "M word" goes backward to that homeowner and then that homeowner can dump it on a contractor(s) because nobody likes holding the party bag alone.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 1,678

If it is just around windows only that is pretty common no big deal. If itís everywhere thatís another issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2017, 05:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanB View Post
If there's any significant area of mold coverage(more than a foot or so) then I wouldn't touch it. Your insurance almost definitely doesn't cover you for mold remediation and that's probably stachybotrys chartarum which is the mold that everyone is scared of.

Even just demolishing the affected materials can cause the spores to spread and then you are potentially liable for any future mold issues or health problems. It's relatively easy to get it taken care of and can be devastatingly expensive if you do it yourself so I don't see the benefit of taking the risk.
I appreciate you! thank you very much For your reply

Old 11-05-2017, 07:47 PM   #20
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 1,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krok View Post
Isn't there some sort of form realtors have that states if anyone has ever had any knowledge of mold on the property? I think that's where the liability of "M word" goes backward to that homeowner and then that homeowner can dump it on a contractor(s) because nobody likes holding the party bag alone.
Realtors really have nothing to do with it. Lawyers do. If there is an issue where the mold needs to be remediated(for whatever reason) or someone is suffering from health issues due to the mold, then the insurance company that is footing the bill for either of those situations is going to look for someone else to pay the tab. If you, as a professional service provider, have tampered with the area, knowing that there is mold present, then you are probably going to be involved in the lawsuit. Because it's unlikely that your insurance covers you for mold remediation, they will be going directly after your personal assets.

At least that's my understanding of the usual scenario. I have worked in this field before and had extensive conversations with litigation attorneys and various people within the insurance field but that doesn't mean I have it exactly right.

Advertisement