Mirror Glue

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2018, 03:51 PM   #21
Pro
 
goneelkn's Avatar
 
Trade: home remodel/repair
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 784
Rewards Points: 46

Re: Mirror Glue


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
On the mirror. Glued. I'll try changing the slope with a carefully set dovetail router bit. Otherwise, buying a new mirror. Cost is not a big deal, but it'll take a week or more to get it cut, delivered, glued back up, etc.
Why not just make another cleat and glue???
goneelkn is online now  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 01-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #22
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 3,432
Rewards Points: 3,872

Re: Mirror Glue


Quote:
Originally Posted by goneelkn View Post
Why not just make another cleat and glue???
Not sure I understand or you understand. The cleat glued to the mirror is sloped so it'll slide down and away from the wall. I don't want to permanently attach the mirror to the wall because A: it defeats the purpose of doing it this way and B: there's an AAV vent behind it.
Golden view is online now  
Old 01-20-2018, 09:17 PM   #23
Pro
 
goneelkn's Avatar
 
Trade: home remodel/repair
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 784
Rewards Points: 46

Re: Mirror Glue


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
Not sure I understand or you understand. The cleat glued to the mirror is sloped so it'll slide down and away from the wall. I don't want to permanently attach the mirror to the wall because A: it defeats the purpose of doing it this way and B: there's an AAV vent behind it.
Leave that cleat on mirror. Make a new cleat for the mirror and glue it on the mirror lower(or higher if there is room) than the bad cleat. The wall cleat will have to be adjusted if it's in place already.
goneelkn is online now  
   
 
Old 01-20-2018, 09:32 PM   #24
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 3,432
Rewards Points: 3,872

Re: Mirror Glue


Quote:
Originally Posted by goneelkn View Post
Leave that cleat on mirror. Make a new cleat for the mirror and glue it on the mirror lower(or higher if there is room) than the bad cleat. The wall cleat will have to be adjusted if it's in place already.
Gotcha. Went through that idea already but it is still viable. Originally I glued a full picture frame on the mirror to give more gluing surface and perimeter spacer for the floating look. Paranoid about the glue breaking eventually and it crashing off the wall. I could glue the new cleat also to the old one, that would probably be sufficient.

Also it's a bit embarrassing to move the cleat on the wall. The wall is completely tiled. Extra holes in the tile.

The router trick should work, as long as I don't set the depth too deep
Golden view is online now  
Old 01-20-2018, 09:37 PM   #25
Pro
 
goneelkn's Avatar
 
Trade: home remodel/repair
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 784
Rewards Points: 46

Re: Mirror Glue


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
The router trick should work, as long as I don't set the depth too deep
Make sure to set up video cameras while your doing it. One on the work, and one for your expressions!!

Good luck
goneelkn is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to goneelkn For This Useful Post:
Golden view (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #26
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 3,432
Rewards Points: 3,872

Re: Mirror Glue


Quote:
Originally Posted by goneelkn View Post
Make sure to set up video cameras while your doing it. One on the work, and one for your expressions!!

Good luck
I thought about it. Failures are at least as fun to watch as successes.
Golden view is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
goneelkn (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #27
Pro
 
Stunt Carpenter's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Airdrie
Posts: 1,085
Rewards Points: 896

Re: Mirror Glue


I know this is late to the discussion but you could have built your picture frame and had two of these of the bottom to hold then weight and then glued the mirror to the frame.

Stunt Carpenter is offline  
Old 01-21-2018, 06:34 PM   #28
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 3,432
Rewards Points: 3,872

Re: Mirror Glue


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Carpenter View Post
I know this is late to the discussion but you could have built your picture frame and had two of these of the bottom to hold then weight and then glued the mirror to the frame.

No problem and thanks. That's the normal way but we wanted floating with no visible clips. Plus this mirror has to be removable.
Golden view is online now  
Old 01-21-2018, 06:45 PM   #29
Pro
 
rrk's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: new jersey
Posts: 4,460
Rewards Points: 1,096

Re: Mirror Glue


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Carpenter View Post
I know this is late to the discussion but you could have built your picture frame and had two of these of the bottom to hold then weight and then glued the mirror to the frame.

They also make those without the front part that goes up

If you wanted to make the mirror removable all you had to do was not tighten the upper clips. Put the upper edge un the groove lift to clear lower lip and set in lower groove. The clips will lower and mirror is secure. To remove mirror lift up pull bottom out pull mirror down.
No silvering issue ever
rrk is online now  
Old 01-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #30
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 3,432
Rewards Points: 3,872

Re: Mirror Glue


Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
They also make those without the front part that goes up

If you wanted to make the mirror removable all you had to do was not tighten the upper clips. Put the upper edge un the groove lift to clear lower lip and set in lower groove. The clips will lower and mirror is secure. To remove mirror lift up pull bottom out pull mirror down.
No silvering issue ever
That's typically how I do them.
Golden view is online now  
Old 01-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #31
always building
 
parkers5150's Avatar
 
Trade: general constructiion
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North County San Diego Fallbrook CA
Posts: 1,637
Rewards Points: 1,826

Re: Mirror Glue


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
Went to hang the mirror today. Almost last thing for a major 4 room remodel with 1000 square feet of tile, $40k in cabinets, etc. I glued the damn french cleat on backwards! I belong in the wall of shame. Holy crap what an idiot.
sorry to hear that but....you made my morning!!!!
__________________
"Building trust one job at a time."
www.RDPontheWeb.com
San Diego Contractor Deck and Patio Cover Builder
parkers5150 is offline  
Old 01-22-2018, 07:20 PM   #32
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 3,432
Rewards Points: 3,872

Re: Mirror Glue


Fixed it with a dovetail bit. Easy enough. But the saga continues. The mirror has a huge curve in it. I presume from glueing it to this frame. We glued it on a surface that was flat within 1/16th, let it dry for 5 days, then moved it to the garage over the weekend where it's 40 or 45 degrees and now it has a 1" bow, even after warming up all day. Really weird.
Golden view is online now  
Old 01-22-2018, 09:11 PM   #33
Pro
 
rrk's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: new jersey
Posts: 4,460
Rewards Points: 1,096

Re: Mirror Glue


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
Fixed it with a dovetail bit. Easy enough. But the saga continues. The mirror has a huge curve in it. I presume from glueing it to this frame. We glued it on a surface that was flat within 1/16th, let it dry for 5 days, then moved it to the garage over the weekend where it's 40 or 45 degrees and now it has a 1" bow, even after warming up all day. Really weird.
You could call it a learning curve

I would have happily smashed that mirror days ago and called my glass guy

Cay you imaging installing it like that and the homeowner asks "do I look fat ?"

Advertisement

rrk is online now  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?