Man Hours To Remodel A Small Bathroom

Old 05-26-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 2,072

Man Hours To Remodel A Small Bathroom

I have three bathroom remodel jobs on the books and estimated the number of hours for each job and submitted the proposal's and was accepted. My question is...has anyone tracked some small bathroom remodel jobs and can provide feedback on total number of hours involved? These bathrooms are of the 6x9 flavor with an old iron tub, lavatory, sink with just a little flooring repair, new vinyl, 1 piece and everything else new including base, case, paint and light.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-26-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
Remodeler Extraordinare

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Man Hours To Remodel A Small Bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevy4x4 View Post
I have three bathroom remodel jobs on the books and estimated the number of hours for each job and submitted the proposal's and was accepted. My question is...has anyone tracked some small bathroom remodel jobs and can provide feedback on total number of hours involved? These bathrooms are of the 6x9 flavor with an old iron tub, lavatory, sink with just a little flooring repair, new vinyl, 1 piece and everything else new including base, case, paint and light.

Man theres so many variables involved in the equation to give a good answer IMO

do you have to relocate any waste or water lines, what about electrical...is there access in the attic for electrical junctions. What about sheetrock repairs, are you performing these tasks or are you subbing that to others?

Old 05-27-2007, 06:10 AM   #3
Contractor

I know there can be so many variables-like sheetrock work after the tub comes out. For the most part, small patches on the wall and nothing is getting 'moved'-just straight hook ups. I'm changing out the light fixture, but not changing the wiring. these are basic jobs, nothing fancy.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:20 AM   #4
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 2,540

Remove/replace tub? what kind of tub goes out, then in? Access?
Remove/replace flooring? what goes out, what goes in?
Remove/replace sink or vanity? what goes out, what goes in?
Remove/replace window?
Remove/replace fan?
Remove/replace wall finishes and tub surrounds? out and in?

We've done gut and replace in a week, including replacing a window, but that's pushing it. We did everything in house so there was no waiting for subs.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:39 AM   #5
Remodeler Extraordinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post

We've done gut and replace in a week, including replacing a window, but that's pushing it. We did everything in house so there was no waiting for subs.
One week.....wow thats amazing!! I am not doubting your abilities at all, just amazed!!

It usually takes me on average at least 1/2 day of demo, 1/2 day of plumbing relocation, 1/2 day of electrical relocation 2 days to rehang rock, tape and texture on small bathroom jobs, then if theres tile everywhere no way will it be completed in 5 days. And lets not forget about setting the tub, setting the vanity cabinets, hanging the light fixtures, baseboard, blahh blahh blahh.

When it's all said and done I usually finish an averaged size bathroom (8'x8') in roughly 3-4 weeks if I didnt come across any unforseen issues such as dry rot or whatever else. I guess I am slow but it doesnt bother me.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
Contractor

I'll followup and post hwo long it takes for the record. What size crew were you guys using? I'm sure a teardown to the studs and rebuilding entire bath as well as tile, it would take a much longer time. Maybe it would be better to call this a 'facelift' then a remodel
Old 05-27-2007, 11:15 AM   #7
Remodeler Extraordinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevy4x4 View Post
I'll followup and post hwo long it takes for the record. What size crew were you guys using? I'm sure a teardown to the studs and rebuilding entire bath as well as tile, it would take a much longer time. Maybe it would be better to call this a 'facelift' then a remodel
I do everything myself.....it seems to be the most efficient way in a bathroom.....any more than 2 it gets crowded really fast!!

However I do sub all of the sheetrock work out always

It sounds to me that "facelift" would be a better word for your application
Old 05-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #8
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 2,540

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.W.Davis View Post
One week.....wow thats amazing!! I am not doubting your abilities at all, just amazed!!

It usually takes me on average at least 1/2 day of demo, 1/2 day of plumbing relocation, 1/2 day of electrical relocation 2 days to rehang rock, tape and texture on small bathroom jobs, then if theres tile everywhere no way will it be completed in 5 days. And lets not forget about setting the tub, setting the vanity cabinets, hanging the light fixtures, baseboard, blahh blahh blahh.

When it's all said and done I usually finish an averaged size bathroom (8'x8') in roughly 3-4 weeks if I didnt come across any unforseen issues such as dry rot or whatever else. I guess I am slow but it doesnt bother me.
I figure 1/2 day tear-out, plumbing relocated and tub in place,

Window, framing repairs, electric second day.

Sheetrock, tile backer, first coat mud third day,

Wall tile, second, third coats mud forth day

Paint, flooring, set commode, and vanity/top fifth day

First day is long, second and third fairly easy, forth full and fifth long.

Work with one othe guy, a laborer. I'm licensed and quite competent as a GC, Plumbing Contractor, Electrical Contractor and a few more, And, I work fast.

We did a major truck stop remodel that included relocating the fueling desk to the opposite end of the area (about 150'). We had to move fueling controlls, scale controlls, credit card system, networked computer system, phones, the whole thing, in a business that never stops. Their engineer gave me 1/2 hour window during which we could have them shut down. They were up and running in 20 minutes. Afterwards he told me they had never completed one with a shut down of less than 2 hours. He said he didn't believe it was possible to do it in an hour or less before seeing us do it in 20 minutes.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
Carpenter/fencing

Trade: Carpenter/Fence contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
I figure 1/2 day tear-out, plumbing relocated and tub in place,

Window, framing repairs, electric second day.

Sheetrock, tile backer, first coat mud third day,

Wall tile, second, third coats mud forth day

Paint, flooring, set commode, and vanity/top fifth day

First day is long, second and third fairly easy, forth full and fifth long.

Work with one othe guy, a laborer. I'm licensed and quite competent as a GC, Plumbing Contractor, Electrical Contractor and a few more, And, I work fast.

We did a major truck stop remodel that included relocating the fueling desk to the opposite end of the area (about 150'). We had to move fueling controlls, scale controlls, credit card system, networked computer system, phones, the whole thing, in a business that never stops. Their engineer gave me 1/2 hour window during which we could have them shut down. They were up and running in 20 minutes. Afterwards he told me they had never completed one with a shut down of less than 2 hours. He said he didn't believe it was possible to do it in an hour or less before seeing us do it in 20 minutes.
Thats a fair timetable but even with a small window and electric we would be sheetrocking and installing the concrete backer board on the second day,we'll split up if the window needs to be replaced,one in one out.tile can be started third day and finished the following morning if needed.The tile is the key ,get it down as quickly as posible so it can be walked on as soon as posible.5 days is very reasonable,thats not counting other variables severe water damage to framing or floor,extensive plumbing relocation,elaborate tile work,skylights,vaulting and so on.and of course if all the tradesmen show up when there suppose to.

Last edited by nywoodwizard; 05-28-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:32 PM   #10
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,000

I'm not sure what the definition of a "small" bathroom is, but I generally allow 10 man-hours of electrical work for a second-story bathroom in an older home (2 men, 5 hours). This is considering pulling new circuit from the panel, vanity light, GFCI or two, fan/light unit, and venting the fan by some means. Add 1-1/2 man-hours for jetted tub. Less time when walls are stripped, and even less if existing fan venting means exists.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #11
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction
Send a message via AIM to Greg Di

Man, I guess no one has to stop to wait for inspections. Around me, that can make us lose a week!

Theoretically, a full gut 5 x 7 bath could be a 5 day job, but in my world, it's 5 days of work spread out over three weeks from demo to final paint and punch out.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:27 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,618

Greg thats exactly how it would spread out. The question is how many of us figure 5 days that turn into 3 weeks. Thats what hurts. You know you have to have multiple jobs going due to down time at a location but time always gets lost. Sometimes that other job isnt working out the way you hoped either. There should be a minimum of 35% profit on this type of job for this very reason.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:29 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

Baths are the worst bid to do because you never know what you will run into.

My worst was stucco over wood exterior wall bumpout for a shower stall. Nothing was done right. Rot started at the bottom and then termites took over.

Hurricanes Francis and Jeanne took full advantage, collapsed the wall and pressurised the house causing the sliders to blow out causing major water damage.

Funny what damage only ONE small leak can do.

Albert Einstein
Old 06-08-2007, 07:22 AM   #14
ContractorTalk Flunkie

Trade: Remodeling and Renovation Contractor

How long to remodel a small bath? We just done one. We did not gut to studs. We did remove shower stall, install drywall, texture and paint. Removed old tile and installed new flooring, relocated plumbing for vanity, clawfoot tub, and toilet. Installed all with fixtures. Relocated vanity light and outlet. Installed new base and shoe, etc. Myself and my helper, it took us about 2, 40 hr weeks to complete We did do some additional work in the closet during this time. Size of bath was 8 x 11
http://remodelingncarolina.com
Old 06-08-2007, 09:44 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: general contractor/ remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via Yahoo to send_it_all

I've done several bath remodels using just myself and a helper and it has taken between two and three full working weeks each time. I'm in the middle of my first using subs. Plaster walls were gutted to studs and bare slab, then all debris was removed in a huge F-150 load to dump on Monday. Sparky came tuesday did all wiring, 3 cans, and set fan in 6 hours, plumber came wednesday and set tub, roughed in shower valve, raised toilet supply for base clearance, and installed bullets (copper stub outs) for toilet and sink...all in about 4 hours. Called for inspection wasnt able to get one until today..(which I'm leaving for in a few minutes)...drywall will be first thing next week...(one day to hang, tape and texture according to drywall sub), tile guy comes tuesday....I fugure 2 and a half working weeks for this one. If all keeps going smoothly....nice profit.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #16

Trade: General Home Remodel
Rewards Points: 10

ok if you are remodeling a bathroom depends on the bathroom size
and what is involve such as
demolition can be really tricky you have to analyze what type of material you have on the walls and ceiling a lot times is build with plaster that has mash
and that can take you one or two days depending on the case.
if the work you are doing this work with permits that's another thing you have to consider cose when you get permits you cant just start and finish in one round
there are a few steps you have to follow - ELECTRICAL - PLUMBING - INSULATION - BUILDING - and sometimes depending in the town you also will need FIRE
and after you pass all those wait for the final
so in average one bathroom 8x8' it will take about two weeks or more depending the town inspection schedule.

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 03-24-2014 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Remove link
Old 03-07-2014, 11:31 PM   #17
master hacker of wood

Trade: restoration carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,420

I'd go more but sounds like you answered your own question!!!

Small ones take as many days as big ones because you work yourself out of work and your always waiting for that special order tub that came in and it's not the right one!
Old 03-08-2014, 04:06 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

Wondering what a typical 5x8 bath would cost in different areas of the country. Nj around 15k

Last edited by njremodeler; 03-08-2014 at 04:13 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #19
master hacker of wood

Trade: restoration carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,420

I did my buddies for around 8 grand!
Old 03-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: custom builder
Rewards Points: 1,276

This an old thread