Major Smoke Damage Cleaning Help

Old 11-18-2016, 09:07 PM   #1

Trade: quite a few things
Rewards Points: 14

Major Smoke Damage Cleaning Help

I can't seem to find an appropriate sub-forum for this so I'll try here. Mods can move it if needed...

So I have an apartment to renovate where a grease fire happened about 8 months ago. It's a full gut down to framing and block and is approximately 30'x50' for a scope of ceiling and floor area. It's a second floor unit with concrete ceilings that aren't going anywhere. They are smooth and were painted. Still basically smooth with some bubbled paint here and there but that's whatever. The smoke damage is serious. The entire ceiling is blacker than black and I'm looking for help with cleaning solutions. There's no way I can simply paint over it.

-My original thought was a TSP solution but I'm reading that water based cleaning will embed the smoke even further into the surface. So long as that gets it fairly clean would the possible embedding make much of a difference after a good paint spray job?

-After a little bit of searching I'm thinking the best thing to use would be some powerful degreaser solution.

Either way the elbow grease involved seems daunting. Even though I'll have guys to do it for me I'm obviously looking for the least laborious yet thorough way. The floors are concrete so I don't have much concern for spillage and messes. I keep wondering if there is some type of pressure washer power scrubber attachment that spins with a return hose connected to the scrubber and hooked to a pump outside to suck the dirty water out. That would seem efficient and fast but likely a dream.

So who's got real experience with this kind of thing and is willing to share a tip? I've done one fire job several years ago in a house. The smoke damage there was bad but nowhere near what this apartment has. The areas of that house that we had to clean were pretty intense and it still took two coats of Zinnser, iirc, to cover what smoke we couldn't remove. Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Last edited by SDF; 11-18-2016 at 09:12 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #2
Business Owner

Trade: Pest & Termite Control
Rewards Points: 6

Re: Major Smoke Damage Cleaning Help

You might investigate having it performed by a cryogenic cleaning company (dry ice blasting or CO2 blasting). I know almost nothing about this, but I searched online and this technology can do what you want done, which is remove soot from concrete. It came to mind because this process was used a half block from our office to remove paint from the interior side of an historic multiwythe brick wall.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to P42003 For This Useful Post:
SDF (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #3

Trade: quite a few things
Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42003 View Post
You might investigate having it performed by a cryogenic cleaning company (dry ice blasting or CO2 blasting). I know almost nothing about this, but I searched online and this technology can do what you want done, which is remove soot from concrete. It came to mind because this process was used a half block from our office to remove paint from the interior side of an historic multiwythe brick wall.
Thanks. Unfortunately I have already bid this and I'm thinking I've underbid this portion no matter which option I have let alone the cryogenic cleaning of the future. I will look into it though.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,179

http://www.jondon.com/chemicals/smok...-cleaners.html
Old 11-19-2016, 08:46 AM   #5
Pro

If you're using BIN pigmented shellac to seal, don't worry about the odor, just get the surface so you get adhesion, then 2 coat it followed by top coats.

Kilz Original will also do a decent job of odor control if you can tolerate an oil base product.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Sir Mixalot (11-19-2016)
Old 02-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Insurance Restoration
Rewards Points: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDF View Post
Thanks. Unfortunately I have already bid this and I'm thinking I've underbid this portion no matter which option I have let alone the cryogenic cleaning of the future. I will look into it though.

So, where are you on this project now?
Old 02-01-2017, 05:54 PM   #7
Pro

Broke?

Advertisement