Kitchenaid Fail

Old 11-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Stonemasonry
Rewards Points: 612

Kitchenaid Fail

We splurged a little while ago and remodeled our kitchen. A good bit was self performed including purchasing all new kitchenaid appliances from sears (online). Some of them seemed better than others, but we were the most impressed with the new gas range. Super heavy, seemed to be the forever stove we wanted.

Exactly one year and two weeks after purchase, This July, the touch screen and module went out. It was an expensive repair. Sears repair people came out for a diagnostic with a fee. They ordered the part shipped to us and came for a second trip to install. I wasn't there for the installation part. The touch screen worked fine, but we kept getting a blower error message. They finally came back for a second diagnostic and ordered a blower.

Yesterday they came to install the blower. After at least three hours, the repair man finally got it put back together. I walked over to turn the oven on to test and once it heated up the fan started squealing. The repair man says he hopes it will quiet down in a minute and sure enough it does. Today the fan is making what are more like rumbling noises. I assume bearings are bad. Long story short, I'm pissed. I've got almost as much in repairs as the (fairly pricey) unit cost to begin with. As soon as it breaks again, I want to be prepared for war.

What party is the most productive one to deal with, Sears or Whirlpool/Kitchenaid?

I assume both have regional sales reps, How do I go about contacting? Warranty phone number on my paperwork goes straight to India.

To be honest, at this point, I don't even care about the money. I am just ready to set somebody straight and hopefully find the stove I actually need.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-15-2017, 03:37 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 27,820

Re: Kitchenaid Fail

That sucks, but if you're paying for parts/diagnostics, I assume you're out of any warranty period...

Which puts you at the point of repair warranty for the new parts/install... I'd start with the guy who hoped the squealing stopped... IOW, the last one who touched it...

Whirlpool/Kitchen-Aide only farms out the repairs and Sears just refers to the manufacturer...

Advertisement

Old 11-15-2017, 03:43 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
That sucks, but if you're paying for parts/diagnostics, I assume you're out of any warranty period...

Which puts you at the point of repair warranty for the new parts/install... I'd start with the guy who hoped the squealing stopped... IOW, the last one who touched it...

Whirlpool/Kitchen-Aide only farms out the repairs and Sears just refers to the manufacturer...
Yes, warranty was 1 year. I was 2 weeks outside of it. I don't know if it would be any different if I bought it locally, or ...

What happened to paying a premium price and actually getting a premium product?

Yes, I know this is a rant.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
Pro

OK, at this point my interest is in reaching out to Kitchenaid to let them know that model # ksgg700ess0 (that should show up in google) is a POS, and seeing if they have interest in making things more right than they are now. I don't expect anything, but I'd appreciate them treating me the way I treat my clients.

On a more positive topic, is there a brand or model that I could expect to see a lifetime of use out of? Or is everything nowdays circuit boards and delicate parts?
Old 11-15-2017, 04:50 PM   #5
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 6,744

We buy a lot of KitchenAid, basically anything that is not Sub-Zero, Wolf or Thermador is going to be KitchenAid,So about 60% with some GE thrown in.

I have never made a call or an internet inquiry to KitchenAid, I use a local supplier and I call them when I have a problem. They take care of it. Not going to get that at Best Buy or online though. That is why I do not allow my clients to buy anything online or from a big box store if I am involved, takes a ton of time

John
Old 11-15-2017, 04:55 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
We buy a lot of KitchenAid, basically anything that is not Sub-Zero, Wolf or Thermador is going to be KitchenAid,So about 60% with some GE thrown in.

I have never made a call or an internet inquiry to KitchenAid, I use a local supplier and I call them when I have a problem. They take care of it. Not going to get that at Best Buy or online though. That is why I do not allow my clients to buy anything online or from a big box store if I am involved, takes a ton of time
Makes sense. I know my suppliers will go to bat for me every single time. They also have much larger buying power than me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artisanstone For This Useful Post:
Jaws (11-15-2017), KAP (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 06:45 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 27,820

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisanstone View Post
Yes, warranty was 1 year. I was 2 weeks outside of it. I don't know if it would be any different if I bought it locally, or ...

What happened to paying a premium price and actually getting a premium product?

Yes, I know this is a rant.
Freakin' A... don't ask me about our washer / dryer nightmare...
Old 11-15-2017, 06:57 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 1,632

I Googled that model number. There are a lot of complaints about the fan going bad. You might want to mention it to them when they call. If it's a well known problem they might be more willing to help you.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Home Beautification
Rewards Points: 1,808

Fix it yourself!
Old 11-15-2017, 09:26 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 622

Frustration felt!

If you bought it online, then unfortunately it might be you against the entire internet and their lazy phone operators.

Never had an issue with KitchenAid products, but I would suggest you blow up their phone lines and keep getting higher and higher people until you get it resolved.

Document everything and every name and ID you speak with and keep a word document journal.

Only do this if you have the patience to sit on hold a bunch. Otherwise you'll flip out like I would.

Customer service lines sometimes make me experience homicidal thoughts.

I'll bet if you handle it right, you'll get a new appliance that works.

Advertisement