Ice Dams, Post-Build Fixes.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:18 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General and Trades
Rewards Points: 812

Ice Dams, Post-Build Fixes.

Winter is just hitting my area and I've got a home I suspect may have ice dam issues soon. The home has 3" of 2# foam (+/- r-21) at roof deck. 3/4 of the home also has r-19 in cathedral ceiling rafters with some air space above to sprayfoam. There is no airflow or ridgevent being the roof rafters are locked foam from eave to ridge.

This home could use a new roof. I am considering metal and retrofitting some type of sheet good foam above a created airflow gap. Home is about an 8/12 pitch with straight peak.

Thoughts?

Last edited by META; 12-13-2016 at 12:20 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry/Building/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,640

Re: Ice Dams, Post-Build Fixes.

I'm not a roofer by any means, but what makes you think it will have ice dam issues? Is there previous damage indicating ice damming is a seasonal thing with the home?

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2016, 02:02 PM   #3
Pro

Thanks for responding. The home is coming "online" now and we've had good snowfall. The home is showing snow melt with minor ice forming. I am concerned it will continue and potentially become an issue so just doing some preemptive brainstorming. The home is small, so snow raking it is an easy temporary solution, if it does show significant melt. Right now it's hard to tell.

Although melt appears to be uniform, the home has its furnace and on-demand water heater in he conditioned attic, which is adding to some heat trap above living area.

Last edited by META; 12-13-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:36 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,671

Adding an airspace, then foam, and a metal roof isn't going to make sense. Putting foam on the decking, then an airspace and a metal roof with ridge vent could help.

Heat cables are sometime used, but they have drawbacks.

Normal roofing would require ~2 rows of ice and water shield installed along the eaves to guard against ice dams getting water into the building.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
META (12-13-2016), SLSTech (12-15-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 02:41 PM   #5
Pro

Maybe examine the vent area in the attic (i.e. 1sqft vent: 300sqft attic floor area)? Obviously it sounds like the furnace and HW heater isn't helping.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:50 PM   #6
Pro

My thought on a layer of foam over air space is isolating the heat from the roof covering. I think that would function better than just adding more insulation to the overall roof system, ie foam on top of decking. Although that would keep more heat inside. My concern is even with more insulation on roof, it'll still have heat transfer.

Anything that would be done would include eave to ridge venting.

HDAVIS, why do think it wouldn't do much?
Old 12-13-2016, 02:52 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDelta View Post
Maybe examine the vent area in the attic (i.e. 1sqft vent: 300sqft attic floor area)? Obviously it sounds like the furnace and HW heater isn't helping.
This is the primary issue with spray foamed roof decks, there is no venting; at least with this home.
The Following User Says Thank You to META For This Useful Post:
CharlieDelta (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #8
#MAGA

Trade: Builder/Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by META View Post
My thought on a layer of foam over air space is isolating the heat from the roof covering. I think that would function better than just adding more insulation to the overall roof system, ie foam on top of decking. Although that would keep more heat inside. My concern is even with more insulation on roof, it'll still have heat transfer.

If you were adding anything, it would be foam first, then an air gap then roofing. The continuous foam will alleviate the thermobridging problems, then you'd have the venting to keep the roof surface colder.

If you put the venting first, you'd be wasting a lot of money on foam just to "solve" an ice damming problem, but you'd still be allowing heat to escape from the home at almost the same rate it currently is. You want to make the home more energy efficient as well as less prone to ice damming, not just the latter.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EricBrancard For This Useful Post:
CharlieDelta (12-13-2016), EthanB (01-10-2017), hdavis (12-13-2016), META (12-13-2016), Tinstaafl (12-13-2016), Tom Struble (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 05:48 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:

You want the ventilation to keep the roof at outside air temp so you don't get uneven melting / freezing. If you put the metal on the foam and have the ventilation under the foam, you don't have effective ventilation of the roof system, and you don't get full value of the added insulation.

A lot of people will do a metal roof retrofit by just adding the sheet insulation over the deck, putting on ply or OSB on top, and installing a (thin) metal roof over that. I don't see a lot of ice dam problems on ones done that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
META (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #10
Pro

I appreciate each of your input. I think the likelihood of noticeably increasing the thermal envelope on the roof end will be negligible in terms of what needs to be done to eliminate an ice dam. It sounds like I was over thinking this with considering air gap and foam, where a layer of decent foam could take care of it all together.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:41 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Roofing, eaves
Rewards Points: 132

Air gap is easy to create with a cold roof. If you dont need any more insulation its pretty low cost as well. 2x2s over current sheathing and sheet over that. Other than increaseing height at fascia and rakes its not a huge retrofit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PatChap For This Useful Post:
CharlieDelta (12-13-2016), META (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 08:02 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChap View Post
Air gap is easy to create with a cold roof. If you dont need any more insulation its pretty low cost as well. 2x2s over current sheathing and sheet over that. Other than increaseing height at fascia and rakes its not a huge retrofit.
Right, wrong, or indifferent, this is the way I have always seen them done.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:11 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChap View Post
I agree with that. He's in Michigan, so moving closer to the R-38 recommendation before putting the metal on wouldn't be a bad thing.
SmallTownGuy (01-10-2017)
Old 12-13-2016, 08:22 PM   #14
Pro

Here's the kicker, much of the roof system has about R-40 when including the R-19 bat fiberglass under the foam. I really think the roof needed higher R-values without the ventilation of excess heat. This thought is what had me concerned with just adding another layer of foam.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:27 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Here's the kicker, much of the roof system has about R-40 when including the R-19 bat fiberglass under the foam. I really think the roof needed higher R-values without the ventilation of excess heat. This thought is what had me concerned with just adding another layer of foam.
If it's that good, you should be able to just switch over to a cold roof without adding any more insulation.
META (12-13-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 02:48 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 4,563

Is the heat that is creating the ice damns actually from the roof, or is it from the wall system/window/doors? even a basement heat leak? plumbing stack? R40 and no air flow shouldn't allow any ice damns....

Can you borrow a infrared camera?
Old 12-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #17
Pro

The ice forming is fairly even along both eaves. No basement. It is about 20 degrees cooler today where yesterday and Monday were closer to just under freezing. I could be "freaking" out about nothing. I'll keep an eye on it and inform later.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to META For This Useful Post:
hdavis (12-14-2016), PatChap (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Roofing, eaves
Rewards Points: 132

If it aint broke...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PatChap For This Useful Post:
META (12-14-2016), SmallTownGuy (01-10-2017)
Old 12-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #19
#MAGA

Trade: Builder/Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouthgeneration View Post
Is the heat that is creating the ice damns actually from the roof, or is it from the wall system/window/doors? even a basement heat leak? plumbing stack? R40 and no air flow shouldn't allow any ice damns....

Can you borrow a infrared camera?
An R40 hot roof can still have ice damming. All of the rafters will allow heat to escape. Then again, sunlight can cause ice damming too, so it's a crap shoot sometimes.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:33 PM   #20
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 1,934

24 winters fighting ice damming. There are things that can be done to help a little. Solving it ? No chance
6' of ice and water and pray for a mild winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Last edited by NYgutterguy; 12-14-2016 at 05:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (01-10-2017)