I Need A High End Closet Remodeler In Northern California

Old 07-08-2011, 12:30 AM   #1

Trade: closet remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

I Need A High End Closet Remodeler In Northern California

Hey guys.
I am the owner of a small, low end closet remodeling company in Sacramento California.
This is my first year in the business. I have been in the trades for many years and have gotten my craft down to an art form. Though I do good work I do not do "high end" closet remodels. I can usually get a bedroom closet done for around $200.
Sometimes when I go to a clients house I show them what I do and they want something a bit more upscale. They want things like wood grain melamine, and metal poles, and adjustable shelves. I am looking to network with a high end (and more expensive) closet company so that when this situation occurs I have a reputable company that I can refer. Likewise Id like to gain the trust of the company owner so that when he encounters a client who is more on a budged I too can be referred. Are there any high end closet companies in the Sacramento area on this site? Do you know of a good company that would be interested in connecting with myself for business reference referrals? Thanks so much for your time all!

-Rich Deoca
Five Star Closet Company
(916) 222-5181

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-08-2011, 02:44 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 2,644

Re: I Need A High End Closet Remodeler In Northern California

So you do low end closets I've always wanted to do low end closets I only do medium end closets but sometimes lower my standers to do low end closets I am looking to buy a track saw and move up to high end closets soon I am also looking to branch out to do high end shower rods also
Where is your head at

Last edited by Dirtywhiteboy; 07-08-2011 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
PRO

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

How in the hell do you pay your bills with a $200 closet job.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
Fine Handcrafted Opinions

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 852

Dude. It sounds like you have some sort of aversion to making a lot more money.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling & Painting
Rewards Points: 150

I like it. Most guys like to tell everyone they do high end work. Most have no real idea.

who knows, maybe the OP is doing fine where he is. fortunately not all the money is in "high end"

Rich, why are you wanting to hand off your leads? or expand your offerings? It's doubtful the "high end" shop would reciprocate.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 1,160

give the guy a break, jeesh.
to OP: i've seen work done by california closets and it's all of good quality and they do a variety of stuff. i don't think they're going to give you any business in return as they're pretty big and probably can't be bothered by a one man operation, but here's the link anyway:
http://www.californiaclosets.com/sacramento
Old 07-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 500

Hey if you want to see some real art look at my sock drawer
The Following User Says Thank You to detroit687 For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (07-08-2011)
Old 07-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
Raawwwrrrr

Trade: finish carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,344

fly me out there and ill take care of it for you
Old 07-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: All construction, remodeling, home improvements
Location: Rochester, NY Elmira, NY, WNY, Finger Lakes, Southern Tier
Rewards Points: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit687 View Post
Hey if you want to see some real art look at my sock drawer

to OP, please get your head wrapped around some resemblance of reality right quick. I hate to see you dig a hole you cant ever get out of.

1. Immediately at least triple your price
2. You cant leave the house, drive to a customers, measure, estimate and go back and do the work and pay for materials, insurance, gas, licensing, etc for $200 even if materials were $1.
3. Dont give away the better half of your business to a capable company that will NEVER and I mean NEVER EVER BOTHER TO CALL YOU.
4. Companies that do high end closets that get low end closet leads will attempt to sell the low end lead a higher end solution and will likely succeed. When they dont they blow them off but they wont call you for sure.
5. The market takes you where it wants you to go and it wants you to go into high end closets where the money is.

Please take a closer look at the viability of your business strategy because the numbers dont work the way you have it set up. Costs are too high and margins too low to make it once your savings and credit are shot.

Im not trying to knock you one bit. Im trying to save you from disaster. Dont sell yourself short. Step up and make it happen.

I wish you all the best
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeGC For This Useful Post:
JHC (07-08-2011)
Old 07-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 2,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGC View Post

to OP, please get your head wrapped around some resemblance of reality right quick. I hate to see you dig a hole you cant ever get out of.

1. Immediately at least triple your price
2. You cant leave the house, drive to a customers, measure, estimate and go back and do the work and pay for materials, insurance, gas, licensing, etc for $200 even if materials were $1.
3. Dont give away the better half of your business to a capable company that will NEVER and I mean NEVER EVER BOTHER TO CALL YOU.
4. Companies that do high end closets that get low end closet leads will attempt to sell the low end lead a higher end solution and will likely succeed. When they dont they blow them off but they wont call you for sure.
5. The market takes you where it wants you to go and it wants you to go into high end closets where the money is.

Please take a closer look at the viability of your business strategy because the numbers dont work the way you have it set up. Costs are too high and margins too low to make it once your savings and credit are shot.

Im not trying to knock you one bit. Im trying to save you from disaster. Dont sell yourself short. Step up and make it happen.

I wish you all the best
Thank you for that Mike, I guess I should have typed sometin like that but it was late and I had funn instead at a noobie expanse, Noob I'm sorry about that DWB
MikeGC (07-08-2011)
Old 07-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #11
Painting & Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 502

Good advise Mike, but considering there is more than one closet in most homes I would say he is taking in $1000 or more per job. Guessing he has less than $300 in materials not a bad days work.

Man you guys are quick to tear down someones niche, even if it is low end.
The Following User Says Thank You to JHC For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (07-11-2011)
Old 07-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: All construction, remodeling, home improvements
Location: Rochester, NY Elmira, NY, WNY, Finger Lakes, Southern Tier
Rewards Points: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHC View Post
Good advise Mike, but considering there is more than one closet in most homes I would say he is taking in $1000 or more per job. Guessing he has less than $300 in materials not a bad days work.

Man you guys are quick to tear down someones niche, even if it is low end.
Its a fair point if the outcome you describe is typical.

My intent was to give a supportive shove in the right direction for his own well being.

Definitely not to tear down.

With all due respect to the OP, it appears some of the business sense is naive and short sited.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:33 AM   #13
Painting & Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 502

Maybe Mike, but without knowing what his margins are its a tough call. To each his own, and there is a market for everyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to JHC For This Useful Post:
MikeGC (07-09-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #14
Sauna & Steam - Remodelin

Trade: Remodeling / Sauna & Steam
Rewards Points: 150

Rich

I believe that you have lots of integrity, and want only the best for your customers. This is a good thing, in my book.

This is what I would do, if I was you (that is, if I'm reading you and your writing correctly).

I'd not bite off more than I could chew, but I'd definitely take on work which provided a challenge. In other words, don't turn down work just because you're not sure how to do it. This can be accomplished in a few different ways, with you maintaining your good reputation.

One way is to study and improve your skills, and slowly take on more challenging work.

The other way is to find someone in high-end who would help you out in these situations, but you would be in control. In other words, bring that other person in as your expert craftsman, and then let him build it with you being his helper. You have control this way, and the customer sees you as being the boss.

Hope this has helped....I got 3 phone calls while writing this, and had to finish quickly.....