Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Glass tile prices

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Dan V. 
#1 ·
Am I the only one who tries to justify the price of glass tile?

A beer bottle uses about the same amount of glass and it's in a much fancier shape. It'd sure curb my consumption if that bottle was going for $6-10+.

Clear glass (the most expensive) is currently selling for $25 a TON! That's a lot of tiles.

I'm in the wrong business but I've said that many times over the years.:jester:

#2 ·
My wife likes to do pottery as a hobby. I keep trying to convince her to make decorative ceramic tiles.

Some samples I picked out recently w/o knowing the price were over $90 a SF for loose 2x2 glazed ceramic tile.

I'm in the wrong business too.

#3 ·
I quite agree! However, the glow in the dark glass mossaics are wild.

I considered doing my shower floor in the. The $60 a sq. ft. put a stop to that idea.

I was able to scarf up two 1" samples but haven't been able to sell the product as an install yet.

I did recently install 4" sea foam green in a black and white ceramic subway pattern. Yes, it was ugly as sin. The customer loved it.

#6 ·
It's all a sales ploy. Women eat it up, the more expensive something is the more they want it. If your guys' wifes are the same as mine they walk into any store and point at something that they like and it will the most expensive item. And after all this i did get stung by the tile company too. Ended up with a bronze glass tile surround around the fireplace and some in the tile backsplash in the kitchen. Bloody women!

#7 ·
I had a customer recently that wanted a glass tile pencil line in her white ceramic backsplash. Naturally, the thickness was about half that of the tile, so had to do the back buttering. She paid over $3.00 a pop for a 3/8 x 5 1/2" strips of glass. The glass was actually clear but with a black backing material, so it appeared black.

I don't like the way it looks, but she loved it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.