Faux Round Top Windows

Old 09-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #1

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Faux Round Top Windows

Guys,

I'm looking to replace 2 double hung windows in an older home. These windows have already been replaced before with some not so nice looking vinyl windows. The problem is that the outside frame has a round top and you can see a square top window in it. I am trying to bring them back to how they used to look.

The outside trim has a round top and the inside is trimmed out for a regular square double hung. So the window that goes in will be a regular square top window. But from the outside, you will see the square window in the round frame.

I've been told I need a custom window that has some sort of faux round top frame built onto the upper sash. This would give the appearance of a round window in a round opening.

Does anyone have any experience in this area or know where a window like this can be ordered? The home is in NJ.

Final Note: I have already replaced the rest of the houses windows with Anderson Woodwright replacement windows (white, 3/2 built in grills, double hungs). I would like something that hopefully matched the look of these.

Thanks for the help!

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Faux Round Top Windows-0621101209a.jpg   Faux Round Top Windows-0910101154.jpg   Faux Round Top Windows-0910101236b.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Grand Rapids Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,050

Re: Faux Round Top Windows

Tom, usually your first post is a get-to-know-ya in the introductions. How long ya been a contractor, what's your specialty.....

Interesting dilemma you have there.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

Tell us a little about yourself and your career, we have an intro page, GMOD
Old 09-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #4

Okay.

I'm a licensed and insured home improvement contractor in NJ. I have been in business 8 years. I'm pretty much a general contractor. My projects include bathroom, basement and kitchen renovations, trim work, doors and windows, Azek trim installations, tile, drywall, painting and decks.

Recently, I completed a major renovation on a small cape. We took an old, beat up, rental unit and pretty much overhauled the whole place for the owner who wanted to put it on the market.

I'm a "hands on" type of guy and am very detailed in my work. I don't do short cuts and like to take the time to do things right. I have 1 wife, 2 kids, am an "x" rugby and baseball player and have no time free to get out and fish.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Tom
Old 09-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

Tom, welcome to CT....the proper application for what you have there would be to shorten the window ht to just where the half circle begins, from the interior you will have some drywall and trim work to do. The exterior should get sheathed and stuccoed to match the existing stucco.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,542

That looks like the builder cheated----looks like a standard window with the arched trim installed over the top of it. That will not be fun to replace---looks like you may need to remove and replace the arched molding.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 3,490

or you can use a shorter window and block in the arch solid,need to check your egress requirements,this is actually a common detail on older buildings
Old 10-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #8

It turns out that Marvin Windows can make a custom window with a faux round top. The upper sash is square but it houses a round top window. It comes in their Tilt-Pak replacement windows (sash and tracks only). They are a bit pricey but should look nice. Comes with permanent grills and round top screen.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Faux Round Top Windows-round-top-window.jpg