Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Faux Round Top Windows

10K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Tkelly 
#1 ·
Guys,

I'm looking to replace 2 double hung windows in an older home. These windows have already been replaced before with some not so nice looking vinyl windows. The problem is that the outside frame has a round top and you can see a square top window in it. I am trying to bring them back to how they used to look.

The outside trim has a round top and the inside is trimmed out for a regular square double hung. So the window that goes in will be a regular square top window. But from the outside, you will see the square window in the round frame.

I've been told I need a custom window that has some sort of faux round top frame built onto the upper sash. This would give the appearance of a round window in a round opening.

Does anyone have any experience in this area or know where a window like this can be ordered? The home is in NJ.

Final Note: I have already replaced the rest of the houses windows with Anderson Woodwright replacement windows (white, 3/2 built in grills, double hungs). I would like something that hopefully matched the look of these.

Thanks for the help!

Tom

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Okay.

I'm a licensed and insured home improvement contractor in NJ. I have been in business 8 years. I'm pretty much a general contractor. My projects include bathroom, basement and kitchen renovations, trim work, doors and windows, Azek trim installations, tile, drywall, painting and decks.

Recently, I completed a major renovation on a small cape. We took an old, beat up, rental unit and pretty much overhauled the whole place for the owner who wanted to put it on the market.

I'm a "hands on" type of guy and am very detailed in my work. I don't do short cuts and like to take the time to do things right. I have 1 wife, 2 kids, am an "x" rugby and baseball player and have no time free to get out and fish.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Tom

#5 ·
Tom, welcome to CT....the proper application for what you have there would be to shorten the window ht to just where the half circle begins, from the interior you will have some drywall and trim work to do. The exterior should get sheathed and stuccoed to match the existing stucco.

#8 ·
It turns out that Marvin Windows can make a custom window with a faux round top. The upper sash is square but it houses a round top window. It comes in their Tilt-Pak replacement windows (sash and tracks only). They are a bit pricey but should look nice. Comes with permanent grills and round top screen.

Tom

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.